[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McJobs

Azazello1313

<sigh>

According to the Congressional Budget Office, corporate tax receipts as a share of corporate profits have hit their lowest point in 40 years:

Corporate tax receipts as a share of profits are at their lowest level in at least 40 years.
Total corporate federal taxes paid fell to 12.1% of profits earned from activities within the U.S. in fiscal 2011, which ended Sept. 30, according to the Congressional Budget Office. That’s the lowest level since at least 1972.
And well below the 25.6% companies paid on average from 1987 to 2008.

not sure what they include that's not included in the CBO's 12.1%, but the world bank has stats on this and we are pretty high on the list, at least among the developed, OECD nations.

Why do we only have two effective political parties in our country? The only choices out there right now are to support an extremely conservative party or an extremly liberal party?

I disagree with your characterization. our two parties are a lot more similar than we are led to believe. it's to their interests to play up the differences to rally the troops and cast the partisan struggle in manichean terms.

I disagree with your characterization. our two parties are a lot more similar than we are led to believe. it's to their interests to play up the differences to rally the troops and cast the partisan struggle in manichean terms.

That is an interesting take. I am not the most politically astute, but it does seem to me, at least in this election year, the two parties are drawing opposite stances on some issues. Gay marriage, taxation, health care, etc.

I will agree at thier base politicians from both sides seem to be similar in that their number one priority is to stay in office.

That is an interesting take. I am not the most politically astute, but it does seem to me, at least in this election year, the two parties are drawing opposite stances on some issues. Gay marriage, taxation, health care, etc.

I will agree at thier base politicians from both sides seem to be similar in that their number one priority is to stay in office.

And there's the rub. For all the left's "occupy wall street" and such, the obamessiah has taken more money from bankers than shrub ever thought about. They are only interested in furthering their power. The only real differences are on a few civil-liberties issues, both want to pander with tax breaks/transfer payments to those groups most likely to vote for them. And 99% of them won't oppose ANY spending if it can help them get re-elected.

the obamessiah has taken more money from bankers than shrub ever thought about.

Is there any source for this info? The best I could find was this. :link:

Which states the following:

Top 5 contributors to Barack Obama

1) University of California

2) Microsoft Corp

3) Google Inc.

4) DLA Piper

5) Harvard University

Top 5 contributors to Mitt Romney

1) Goldman Sachs

2) JP Morgan Chase & Co

3) Morgan Stanley

4) Bank of America

5) Credit Suisse Group

I don't really think the bankers are backing Obama this round.

• Like 1

speaking of blame for fiscal stalemate and gridlock, I just recently read an interesting piece on that, detailing a lot of the inside baseball that went down between obama and boehner when they were actually incredibly close to a far-reaching debt deal before it fell apart at the last minute. it's a very balanced piece, and either side can find plenty of grist for their partisan mill.

another article out this morning, talking about woodward's new book on the subject. both of these are very good reading.

Is there any source for this info? The best I could find was this. :link:

Which states the following:

Top 5 contributors to Barack Obama

1) University of California

2) Microsoft Corp

3) Google Inc.

4) DLA Piper

5) Harvard University

Top 5 contributors to Mitt Romney

1) Goldman Sachs

2) JP Morgan Chase & Co

3) Morgan Stanley

4) Bank of America

5) Credit Suisse Group

I don't really think the bankers are backing Obama this round.

You're looking at this round. Look at four years ago. Here's a place to start

Why do we only have two effective political parties in our country? The only choices out there right now are to support an extremely conservative party or an extremly liberal party?

The majority in power in the republican party are far from conservative. Romney invented Obamacare, and Paul Ryan thinks we have 28 years to balance a budget that future congresses will somehow abide by.

If "radical" conservatism is defect spending, then I guess I need to call my fiscal views something else then.

speaking of jobs....another terribly disappointing report this morning. only 96,000 added. unemployment went down slightly, but only because a staggering 368,000 left the labor force, dropping the already historically low labor force participation rate even lower.

also, the numbers for the last two months were revised downward by a total of 41,000 jobs.

of those 96,000? 28,000 in "food services and drinking places". minus 15,000 in manufacturing.

Edited by Azazello1313

speaking of jobs....another terribly disappointing report this morning. only 96,000 added. unemployment went down slightly, but only because a staggering 368,000 left the labor force, dropping the already historically low labor force participation rate even lower.

of those 96,000? 28,000 in "food services and drinking places". minus 15,000 in manufacturing.

Sounds like we need better "job creators," because apparently the current ones suck.

• Like 1

I could have told you that :kicksrock:

move to Washington John, there are almost as many engineering jobs around here as the medical field. Boeing etc hire all sorts of engineers all the time.

I've been looking there too, but Boeing does not hire civil engineers.

Runways are made of asphalt and with 2 Boeing fields and three Boeing plants to include the largest building in the world, dat be a lot of asphalt

Bah, the asphalt plane is an idea whose time has come. I AM A VISIONARY, AND BIG JOHN SHALL BE MY HAND ON EARTH.

Edited by Chavez

Let's add federal workers to this discussion. Obama has added 225,000 more of them at an average salary of $120,000. That adds, per year, 27,000,000,000 - 27 Billion - to the cost of government.

Government workers are paid with private taxpayer dollars.

The median income in the US is currently $51,413, with an annual tax paid of about $4678. That means that it takes the taxes of 5,771,697 hard working citizens to pay the salaries of the new federal workers. Or about 25 private citizens for each federal employee.

And this does not account for their lifetime pensions and healthcare. How is this fair?