[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

AP and Gerhart

delusions of grandeur

So as the first game draws nearer, this situation is still about as clear as mud. AP has been cleared for contact, taking lots of practice reps, and really wants to play, but acknowledges that it's Frasier's call and that he may be limited.

This was my worst fear when I drafted AP and Gerhart, because ideally, Gerhart would be the top notch handcuff to play until AP was ready to go. But it's starting to feel like it could be RBBC until they're ready to give AP back his full-time gig (if they even do then, if Gerhart continues to play well, but I do think it's still AP's show as long as he's healthy).

I was wondering what people were thinking about the situation. Are you playing either week 1? Do you just avoid the situation until it shakes out? Any other relevant info?

This is why I opted not to handcuff ADP with Gerhart and instead went a few rounds earlier and took Ridley to start until ADP was ready for a full complement of touches. I'd try to avoid the situation entirely but would go with Toby if I had to.

I would agree with the others. Even if AP is healthy, they'll ease him back in and use Gerhart some. If AP isn't quite ready, maybe he doesn't play at all, or just a few series then sits, and Gerhart is an even better start. For AP to be better than Gerhart he'd have to start and get his usual load, which doesn't seem likely.

Last night I'm watching the pre-game and they announce Witten will play. I thought for a moment about putting him in my lineup instead of my backup TE Jared Cook (TEN). Then I thought, what is the chance he really performs that well. Not quite the same scenario, but similar in that you cannot have a lot of confidence in a player coming back to the first game of the season that isn't entirely healthy, especially key offensive players like AP or Witten.

Betting against AP has always burned me people. History repeats itself -- my guts telling me he gets in the endzone first game back and probably should be started, but I don't own him so it doesn't really matter too much what I think.

I have an unwritten rule about never starting an RB in his first game back after an injury, unless my alternatives are really dismal. AP seems like a sucker play this week.

After further research and the responses here, I definitely am not even considering playing AP anymore, unless some unlikely report comes out that he's ready and won't be limited much (not holding my breath on that). Frasier seems to plan on him being limited, but also says he plans to see in practice and during the game how well he's responding to what they're trying to do against Jacksonville.

I don't really have many better options to start than Gerhart anyway, but I just can't shake this feeling that AP will get enough touches to ensure they both have a mediocre day.

I'm playing Gerhart over AP this week and I'll feel it out for next week from there. I'm confident that Gerhart will get most of the carries on a run heavy offense so that's what I'm going on.

There's no question that AP could rip off an 80 yard run, but he's going to have to do it with probably 10 carries or less. So that would be unlikely.