[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pollo Guisado

SheikYerbuti

A strange thing happened to me today: Around the middle of the day, I had the strangest craving for pollo guisado, specifically from a little Dominican restaurant that used to be on the corner of 108th Street and Broadway in New York City. So, I looked up a recipe and decided to make it for dinner. In the middle of cooking I realized why I wanted this dish so bad. It was one of my favorite foods when I was living in NYC, and I was subconsciously thinking about it because of the 9/11 anniversary. My dish wasn't nearly as good, but it did hit the spot:

Pollo Guisado

1 whole chicken (about 3 pounds), butchered into leg quarters, breast and wings

1 large onion, diced

1 large green pepper, diced

1 large tomato, seeded and diced

3 potatoes, cut into large cubes (about 2" cubes)

4 cloves of garlic, minced

2 bay leaves

2 envelopes of Sazon

1 teaspoon of adobo sauce from a can of chipotle pepper

2 tbsp of flour

1 can low sodium chicken broth

2 tbsp vegetable oil

10 sliced green olives

chopped cilantro for garnish

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Heat oil in a large crock or dutch oven until just smoking. Brown the chicken in small batches, about 4 minutes on each side. Set the chicken aside.

2. In the rendered chicken fat, saute the onion and pepper with some salt and pepper. Add the Sazon and flour. Cook for about 2 minutes, then add the garlic until fragrant, then the tomatoes and adobo. Cook while stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.

3. Add the broth and bay leaves and bring to a simmer. Then return the chicken pieces to the pot, cover and put in the oven for about 1.5 hours. Halfway through add the potatoes.

Garnish with olives and cilantro, and serve with white rice, black beans and your favorite hot sauce.