[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer Experts

SEC=UGA

On Monday one of my purchasing agents came into my office and told me that her computer was "fried" it wouldn't come on. Called our IT guy, he said it might be the power supply due to us plugging it in and the light on the back flashing in a certain manner. We went and bought a new power supply installed it. COmputer still wouldn't come on, had to be the mother board he says. So we take it to him to look at.

Diagnostics are run, mother board appears good, power supply good... Operating system is missing... So he goes to try and pull everything off the hard drive before installing the new OS. There were only 8 files on there with extensions that we had no clue what they were. Nothing on the HD except these 8 "unknown" files. So he wipes it and installs the new OS and computer works fine.

He stated he had never seen anything like this... Any ideas?

On Monday one of my purchasing agents came into my office and told me that her computer was "fried" it wouldn't come on. Called our IT guy, he said it might be the power supply due to us plugging it in and the light on the back flashing in a certain manner. We went and bought a new power supply installed it. COmputer still wouldn't come on, had to be the mother board he says. So we take it to him to look at.

Diagnostics are run, mother board appears good, power supply good... Operating system is missing... So he goes to try and pull everything off the hard drive before installing the new OS. There were only 8 files on there with extensions that we had no clue what they were. Nothing on the HD except these 8 "unknown" files. So he wipes it and installs the new OS and computer works fine.

He stated he had never seen anything like this... Any ideas?

What do Google results turn up about the names of 8 "unknown files"?

At first blush, virus/trojan. Many don't just take info from you, they also find a way to wipe your entire HDD.

Could also have a bad HDD. But that would usually be indicated by a 500GB HDD showing only as 300GB (or something along those lines indicating bad/lost sectors).

What do Google results turn up about the names of 8 "unknown files"?

At first blush, virus/trojan. Many don't just take info from you, they also find a way to wipe your entire HDD.

Could also have a bad HDD. But that would usually be indicated by a 500GB HDD showing only as 300GB (or something along those lines indicating bad/lost sectors).

This.

My first inclination would have also been power supply or motherboard, as I've had to replace both before.

If your OS was missing, then by far the most likely possibility is you had a virus. But when he reinstalled windows it reformats the HD, erasing everything so you should be good now. I actually have 2 other internal HDs installed so that I can do the same when my computer starts running slow without having to wipe out any of my data (just have to reinstall my programs).

In fact, I could have told you that as soon as your monitor came on that it wasn't the motherboard being fried. He wouldn't have even been able to reinstall windows if that was the case.

Do you still have concerns? Because if you're not having hardware or any other issues, you should be good to go... Though you could play it safe by buying a new HD, jsut in case it was hard drive failure (though I'm not sure that seems very likely. It usually creates other errors or stops working completely and can't be repaired).

Any ideas?

liberals

tea party

iRash

conservatives

metric system

obamacare

WDIS threads

Housing market

rate my team threads

Atheists

illegal immigrates

christmas

Loaf

central banks

occupy wall street

EPA

Catholics

muslims

stevegrab

mexicans

jehovah witnesses

I dunno, I give up

But more than likely it sounds like someone got in to your network, mapped a network drive, probably copied out a bunch of data and then wiped the OS/files leaving behind those 8 files left from their hack tools.