[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Now Peanut Butter & Jelly is racist?

rajncajn

Schools beat the drum for equity

Verenice Gutierrez picks up on the subtle language of racism every day.

Take the peanut butter sandwich, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” says Gutierrez, principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, a diverse school of 500 students in Northeast Portland’s Cully neighborhood.

“Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

:what:

I especially loved this line:

Through intensive staff trainings, frequent staff meetings, classroom observations and other initiatives, the premise is that if educators can understand their own “white privilege,” then they can change their teaching practices to boost minority students’ performance.

:lol:

So we know better what will work for this school than the school's own principal?

Fifty percent of the students at Scott are Hispanic; another 15 percent are black and 9 percent are Asian.

I have a difficult time relating to the white 9 year old that is genetically 1/2 me sometimes. I'm not even going to pretend to know the best way to teach that demographic. But clearly the rest of you are experts.

:lol:

So we know better what will work for this school than the school's own principal?

I have a difficult time relating to the white 9 year old that is genetically 1/2 me sometimes. I'm not even going to pretend to know the best way to teach that demographic. But clearly the rest of you are experts.

This is the same argument that has been going on for years with regard to cultural bias in testing...

Amazingly, Indian and Asian kids who come to this country manage to overcome these cultural oddities and kick ass on these tests.

So, if yer really believe that little Juan isn't learning math because you ask him how may slices of a sandwich you have when you cut it into quarters instead of using the word "tortilla" in place of "sandwich", I think yer looney.

Chuck Barber, who also offers boys’ drum corps at Vernon and Faubion schools in Northeast Portland, approached Gutierrez last year to start up a lunch-time drum class for black and Latino boys once a week. This year, it’ll expand to two classes a week, to accommodate new boys as well as those with experience.

At least one parent has a problem with the the class, saying it amounts to “blatant discrimination and equity of women, Asians, whites and Native Americans.”

“This ‘club’ was approved by the administration, and any girls who complained were brushed off and it was not addressed,” the parent wrote anonymously.

Gutierrez denies that any students were turned away from the drum corps, and vehemently rejects any suggestion that it is discrimination to offer a club catering to minority boys.

When white people do it, it is not a problem, but if it’s for kids of color, then it’s a problem?”

Wait, what? Who has a class or program specifically for white kids at a public school? Surely if a school said "We've got a chess club for whites only" that would be a problem, and I would think Guiterrez would be one of the first to complain.

As far as sandwiches being racist because other cultures don't use bread, pleaseeeee....

And another thought.... Don't these kids, at some point in time, need to learn what a fracking sandwich is anyway? Seriously, isn't that part of educating a populace, letting them know what common, normal, everyday stuff is? Seriously, you know, I didn't have a Josh Gordon eater when I was growing up in suburbia, but by god I knew what one was when I saw it? Sharks, never saw one in real life living in Atlanta, but when they asked me a question about a shark, well I had an idea what a shark was. Or how bout this... Tacos, yep, knew what those were at a young age and I wasn't raised by a bunch of mexicans.

So, if yer really believe that little Juan isn't learning math because you ask him how may slices of a sandwich you have when you cut it into quarters instead of using the word "tortilla" in place of "sandwich", I think yer looney.

And I think yer a f*cking nut if you get your panties in a wad over the sanctity of a freaking peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

And I think yer a f*cking nut if you get your panties in a wad over the sanctity of a freaking peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

So you suggest that we take ALL curriculum and have individual schools tailor it to the whims of local schools? I'm cool with that...

But until then, if a foreigner moves to this country and refuses to recognize the sanctity of a product that is derived from one of the largest cash crops of my state, he/she oughtta be immediately placed in detention and shipped to guantanamo bay where he is subjected to waterboarding and other enhanced techniques until he can identify a PBJ sandwich from 35 yards through his olfactory senses alone.

Besides, according to the quote from principal sorry ass, commie, messican it wasn't the idea of a PBJ, it was the idea of the entire concept of "sandwich". If you can't grasp the concept of a mother fracking sandwich after having been in this country for more than two weeks, sorry, yer too dumb to be allowed citizenship and need to be culled.

The lack of cultural homogeneity will be the downfall of this country.

:lol: Really, it's not about the PB & J. It's about the catering to minorities to the point to where it goes well past inhibiting the learning process and the ridiculousness of getting your panties in a wad because a teacher might use a peanut butter & jelly sandwich as an example and all the children might not eat PB&J's. Honestly the only part that really irritated me was the "white privilege" bullCHIPS AHOY! & the double-standard this principal seems to have.

:lol: Really, it's not about the PB & J. It's about the catering to minorities to the point to where it goes well past inhibiting the learning process and the ridiculousness of getting your panties in a wad because a teacher might use a peanut butter & jelly sandwich as an example and all the children might not eat PB&J's.

In ONE school in Portland Oregon. This will be making Fox News and talk radio circuits today where everyone can express their outrage fo sure. Now everyone will stop focusing on issues that really matter like what Obama ornaments are on the White House X-mas tree and sodas in New York.

In ONE school in Portland Oregon. This will be making Fox News and talk radio circuits today where everyone can express their outrage fo sure. Now everyone will stop focusing on issues that really matter like what Obama ornaments are on the White House X-mas tree and sodas in New York.

In case you haven't noticed, pandering to minorities to the point of reverse discrimination is not an uncommon occurrence these days. Preaching equity to teachers in public schools is all well & good IMO, but this to me is taking it to the extreme. Teachers have more more important things to spend their time on worry about than whether the poor Mexican child understands what a sandwich is. (and yes, I do realize that is just an analogy) I understand making some concessions for children who may not know our language yet, but at some point it has to stop.