[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Time for a new phone

Bier Meister

If you're done with your original (most likely 2 year) contract on your droid and you're on a month-to-month plan (call your provider and find out if this is the case), you can most likely get a 3G Droid or iPhone4 for less than $20 with a new 2 year contract. I think the easiest way is to go to Best Buy and go through your options with the mobile phone department there. They're pretty helpful with finding the best phone for you and assisting with start up.

I've bought from Radio Shack and Best Buy the last couple of times. I'm with Sprint and when i went to the Sprint store the phone deals there had rebates that you had to wait on. Radio Shack and Best Buy gave you the end price after all rebates right away. Not sure if all the carriers do that, but stupid in my opinion for Sprint to do that and no reason to buy directly from them.

thanks guys. fwiw, i have verizon and qualify for an upgrade.....

sounds like going to a different store than the carrier's is advantageous?

I'm curious on this also. Wife is due for an upgrade and wants a smartphone (preferably the iPhone 5). I always got phones from the Verizon store. Do the other places give a better deal?

amazon wireless. get the best available "free" (with contract) android phone for your purposes. done.

I'm curious on this also. Wife is due for an upgrade and wants a smartphone (preferably the iPhone 5). I always got phones from the Verizon store. Do the other places give a better deal?

amz wireless does. the phone I got for "free" about a year ago (HTC droid incredible 2) was $100 (with contract extension) at the verizon store. there was consistently $50-150 difference for the same model at the two stores.

Edited by Azazello1313

i love amazon, but recall having issues ordering a phone my last go around with them.

I've done it with my last two new phones and had zero problems -- and the first time, that involved switching service from one carrier to another. they get all your account info before you order, so when you get the phone, it's just a matter of activating it. not saying things can't go wrong, but at that point it's the same process as if you bought it through verizon's online store. and if it saves you $100... :shrug:

Edited by Azazello1313

I can't say enough about how nice our experience was at the Best Buy Moblie store. Now, this may not be the case everywhere, but everyone who worked there was a really cute 20 something girl who knew freaking everything about all the phones. I'm not making this up. Knew everything about all the cases, etc. We got Verizon, which rules around here and iphones. The entire experience was top-notch.

I went droid for a bit and, maybe it was just a crappy phone, but the platform just seemed like a pain in the ass. having to worry about where to put different apps so I wouldn't eat memory and all that. I see ads for all the cool things the new Droids do, and they may be right. But my iphone does more things than I'd ever need and does them all very easily, which means I may actually take advantage of them.

Go to craigslist and purchase the Samsung Galaxy S3 brand new in Box for about 400.00 bucks.

or take a chance and get used one for about 300.00 bucks/ Meet at a verizon store (if you plan on staying with verizon ) and check the phone out before you buy with verizon. They will verify the phone is clean

People do it all the time.

extending your contract and still paying for a top of the line phone is a scam.

getting a old and slow phone for free and extending your contract is just not wise at all.

If Money is not a problem. Buy the international version from Amazon.

Edited by moneymakers

amazon wireless. get the best available "free" (with contract) android phone for your purposes. done.

amz wireless does. the phone I got for "free" about a year ago (HTC droid incredible 2) was $100 (with contract extension) at the verizon store. there was consistently $50-150 difference for the same model at the two stores.

They don't carry iPhones, at least not that I could find.

you're right, apple marketing control thing most likely. I think I knew that but wasn't thinking about it when I replied to your post.

No biggie. Priced a Galaxy 3s thru both Amazon and Verizon online and got the same pricing. I don't get it. :hscratch:

Got a lot of questions to ask, like using the phone as a hot spot, or tethering? How much more $$ to share data packs? Total cost if I decided to upgrade? So I'm prolly better off just going to the Verizon store.

Thanks for the info.

The one advantage about buying through dealer is they will replace it if there is a problem. Few years ago bought wife a phone at Sams club. After 3 months she was getting a black screen periodically. Sams wouldn't do anything since it was past 30 days and dealer said they couldn't do anything since we didn't buy it there.

I've been with Verizon ever since there were cellphones. We just called Verizon up. I finally got my first smartphone yesterday. I was out of contract and got a freebie, but I like it. It's a Samsung Galaxy Stellar 4G. I could've gotten the IPhone 4 for free, but have never owned an Apple product. We mainly got the Samsung because it can be a hot spot for our Samsung tablet thingy we bought a couple of weeks ago that she has taken over. :kicksrock:

Edited by TimC

went to BB and was between a galaxy 3 and the razr maxx... went with the razr. they also bought my old phone back from me. great customer service as it took a while to get the correct specs to add my email addy.

My son is a manager for Best Buy Mobile here in MD. Their buy back program is decent since you do get some money back for your old junk.

I've been with Verizon ever since there were cellphones. We just called Verizon up. I finally got my first smartphone yesterday. I was out of contract and got a freebie, but I like it. It's a Samsung Galaxy Stellar 4G. I could've gotten the IPhone 4 for free, but have never owned an Apple product.

My wife and I are considering our first smart phones. I think this is what we're going to do.