[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Disneyworld and Universal Studios

Tford

The wife and I are thinking about taking a trip to Orlando to do the Disneyworld thing while our kids are still young enough to really enjoy it.

Any huddlers have some tip/tricks for a family of 5? Deals that I should know about?

How old are the kids? We went 18 months ago with our 4 kids, then aged 3,5,7,9 and they each enjoyed different things. We took them out of school and lines were still longer than I thought they would be. We stayed on Disney property and didn't go to Universal Studios. Even though we were there for a week, I'm glad we didn't try to anything else. If you search for threads on here, you'll find some good info as a few people go regularly. If you want to maximize your time at Disney, buy the book "The Unofficial Guide to Disney World". It reviews every park restaurant, let's you know what the best deals are, helps you with ride strategy so you minimize your time in line, etc.

Also, while you are there, make sure you download a line wait time app for your phone so you can easily tell how long waits are.

Where do you buy a Fast pass? Can you use it everywhere?

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/fast-pass/

So, first thing when you get to the park in the morning, go and get fast passes for the popular rides. While you wait for your time slot to come up, go on less popular rides with shorter lines. Whenever your fast pass time is eligible again, go get fast passes for the next popular ride. When you show up to the ride that you have the fast pass for during your time frame you will wait a few minutes for a ride that may have a 90 minute line. It's awesome.

If I recall, when you get your first fast passes in the morning, it will tell you when you can get your next fast passes, which may be before you can go on the first fast pass ride, so you may end up having fast passes for more than one ride at a time. Other times the fast pass waits are pretty long and that doesn't happen.

Hope I explained that somewhat well. :unsure:

Man, last time I was there, Jaws and the parting of the sea trick were the latest jam. That was at the Cali version, mind you.

Forgot to mention the green-screen deal where you could get on a motorbike and, to everyone else, it looked like Steve Austin was chasing after you.

Some high-tech chight that was.

Edited by detlef

We are going there this coming Spring Break. Check out mousesavers.com for some tips and links. We have decided not to stay on site. We are renting a house from VRBO.com and will be saving thousands.

I did both, stayed on site and off site. The two main advantages to being off-site are cost and dining choices. If you're in Disney, you pay Disney prices for everything. However, you can get to the parks earlier (they give you an extra hour in the morning I think), you won't need a rental car, you won't have to deal with parking, etc.

Epcot is the bomb. Start in Mexico with a margarita, have a tall beer in Germany, persecco in Italy, Sam Adams in USA, etc. By the time you make it to Japan, you won't care how much their beer sucks.

This is one of the truest statements I have read at the huddle in many a year.

Epcot is the bomb. Start in Mexico with a margarita, have a tall beer in Germany, persecco in Italy, Sam Adams in USA, etc. By the time you make it to Japan, you won't care how much their beer sucks.

Last time I almost lost it doing an "around the world" with the enormous cup of warm sake. :sick:

**this was without children

Did the onsite thing when my daughter was young. Stayed offsite later on when my son was 6 and she was 13. Really enjoyed staying in the house with the Florida room with the pool. Both had their advantages however. I have a unwritten rule that I get to maximize the sex when paying for a vacation so the house had the advantage there. I often wonder if Mrs. Puddy has figured out that every vacation we've taken over 24 years never took place when Aunt Flo was in town.

Oh and mousesavers.com is a great idea. I saved a boatload on my rental car with a code I got from there.

One thing I forgot to mention about Epcot, make sure you eat at the Germany restaurant. Huge buffet of really good food, huge delicious beers, and gorgeous authentic young blonde waitresses shipped in directly from Germany. And every hour they have a band come out in the ridiculous outfits, one guy has the big horn from the Ricola commercials, another guy plays the accordion and they all smile and make jokes for the tourists but they have just the right amount of contempt just beneath the surface. Which reminds me, a fun thing to do in all parts of Epcot is to ask the foreign workers if they are there against their will and if they need help, and watch as they choke back the tears. Some of the notes they slip you are heartbreaking, most of them haven't had any contact with their families for years and Disney won't tell them how long until their "contracts" run out. You can tell that some of the older workers had their spirits broken long ago.

How do you do that?

You can't. Maybe at one time you could, I don't know, but as it stands now you can't. This link explains much better than my other post exactly how fast works and includes some useful hints. Trust me, fast pass is the ONLY was to enjoy Disney unless you like waiting on 90 minute lines.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7690152_can-fastpass-tickets-ahead-time.html

We will be staying at the Disney site for 5 days. Decided to get the meal plan for simplicity sake.

Anyone have recommendation on where to eat onsite? What about offsite? We are staying at the Nickelodeon hotel for the other 4 days.

We will be staying at the Disney site for 5 days. Decided to get the meal plan for simplicity sake.

Anyone have recommendation on where to eat onsite? What about offsite? We are staying at the Nickelodeon hotel for the other 4 days.

I can't recommend enough the book I mentioned above. It reviews every restaurant and helped us get much better value than we otherwise would have. With the meal plan, you get certain items like an entree, side, drink and dessert. The book told us exactly what that would include at each restaurant so we didn't have to walk into each one and try to figure it out on the fly. It also gives great advice on which character meals to do. By the way, you'll need to make reservations as far in advance as possible for many of the character meals.

Edited by geeteebee