[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vote for the 2012 Rock n Roll HOF Inductees

loaf

I could bring myself to vote for Joan Jett, Kraftwerk, and Public Enemy. Rush maybe deserves it but I hate them. I did vote for kraftwerk, but if they're going for krautrock, Can would be a better choice. more "rock and roll" and also arguably more influential.

I think they're getting to the point with this HOF that they just feel like they have to induct people every year and some of the new inductees are wartering down the overall pool.

that said, in addition to Can, they need to add don van vliet/captain beefheart. and it's probably getting to be about time for husker du, sonic youth, the pixies...

Sadly many artists get into the RRHOF that are neither rock, nor roll. While Donna Summer may have been a good artist, I'd hardly characterize her music as RR.

That being said, nice that they give the fans some kind of vote (even if it is very small with the total fan vote countes as one amongst over 600 other votes from people in the industry).

Kraftwerk? Seriously? I'm familiar with them because I have a friend who was a big fan plus some relatives in Germany. But I'd consider them a very niche band and not that popular.

Like some others said, don't know much about some of them, went with Deep Purple, Heart, Rush, Procul Harum (do know some of their stuff) & Joan Jett.

NWA & Public Eneby - :sick: please don't allow "artists" like this in the RRHOF.

Everytime someone on one of those singing shows tries to sing Heart, you realize how good she was. No one has ever come close.

My wife talked me into going to see them live a few yrs back, and man, she has one of the best rock voices EVER. Just unbelievable.

Heart got that VH1 Rock Honors thing a few yrs back, and Gretchen Wilson came out and sang "Barracuda" - I was pretty "whatevs" about Wilson but she knocked it out of the park. Gal can SING.

I dunno where people are not getting Kraftwerk - obviously they weren't necessarily "rock" but they're one of those Velvet Underground type bands in terms of influence - they may not have had mainstream impact here in the US, but they're essentially the Beatles of electronic music; they were so far ahead of the curve they were building their own instruments to do what they wanted.

Plus (and this is just me) bonus points for having such an all-encompassing schtick.

And believe it or not, they are phenomenal live.

My votes:

Deep Purple - between these guys and Sabbath, the template for heavy metal was established. Probably the first band to pretentiously insert classical music into rock, for good or ill.

Kraftwerk - see above

Rush - I think they're another one of those bands where they may not necessarily speak to the average fan (though their ticket sales and longevity certainly show they have a reasonably wide appeal), but they're pretty influential as "musician's musicians"

Public Enemy - every white man's choice for revolutionary rap band. Their production techniques were pretty innovative, and Jann Wenner and Co eat up that "politically conscious" sh*t.

I dunno where people are not getting Kraftwerk - obviously they weren't necessarily "rock" but they're one of those Velvet Underground type bands in terms of influence - they may not have had mainstream impact here in the US, but they're essentially the Beatles of electronic music; they were so far ahead of the curve they were building their own instruments to do what they wanted.

Plus (and this is just me) bonus points for having such an all-encompassing schtick.

And believe it or not, they are phenomenal live.

It's unfortunate how little love The Meters are getting in that poll.

voted for them both

Rush- I've never been a big Rush fan. Not my thing, but I can see why people like them. I don't have a problem with them being in.

Deep Purple- Smoke on the Water, Highway Star and Hush. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but they're really not my thing either.

Heart's early stuff is really, really good. Solid yes vote for me. I'll pretend that "All I Wanna Do Is Make Love to You" didn't happen.

Joan Jett- I can see a yes vote by saying that she lead the way for the alt-rock ladies that I love. I don't listen to her much, but I can be alright wither her.

Public Enemy/NWA- It's the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. As much as I liked them growing up, they aren't rock artists.

Donna Summer/Chic- Disco isn't rock either.

Kraftwerk- Never listened to them before today. When I fired up the ol' Spotify machine, my son liked them. Waaay ahead of their time from what I hear.

I don't know the others well enough.

I can't go the Blackhearts.

I love Jett and what she started with the Runaways but it wasn't enough.

With the Hall nominating her band this way, I feel is an ode to the Runaways, which I have more passion for.

• Like 1

Public Enemy/NWA- It's the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. As much as I liked them growing up, they aren't rock artists.

Donna Summer/Chic- Disco isn't rock either.

Meh...it's really the only game in town. Probably sounded better than the music hall of fame. Then no Motown artists etc...

Edited by Puddy

I have a feeling that most folks here haven't been to the Hall to see it. The Rock Hall is segregated. It pretty much starts with early RnR with the Black artists that the style emanated from.

Rap artists (and that is what they are - like it or not) belong somewhere and until a Rap HoF is established, they deserve acknowledgement. They started a new sound and culture. Which is what Rock did.

The question is, will they be moved once a Rap HoF is established? I hope not.

Edited by loaf

Rap artists (and that is what they are - like it or not) belong somewhere and until a Rap HoF is established, they deserve acknowledgement.

But nobody will go to the induction ceremony due to the risk of gunplay.