[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need some lawyerly advice...

ABearWithFurniture

So, got hit by a drunk driver last Friday and he nailed me right on my front driver-side tire and quarter panel. The police arrested him and I had my truck towed to the shop as the tire was bent in and I couldn't steer it. The guy has Progressive insurance and I called them and put a claim in. They admitted fault and said they would pay for the damages, but of course the claim adjustor is low-balling me compared to what my mechanic is telling me needs to be done. So my question is, what rights do I have? Do I have to go by what the claim adjustor is quoting to me or do I have to sue the individual/insurance agency in order to get the car fixed to the mechanic's specs?

So, got hit by a drunk driver last Friday and he nailed me right on my front driver-side tire and quarter panel. The police arrested him and I had my truck towed to the shop as the tire was bent in and I couldn't steer it. The guy has Progressive insurance and I called them and put a claim in. They admitted fault and said they would pay for the damages, but of course the claim adjustor is low-balling me compared to what my mechanic is telling me needs to be done. So my question is, what rights do I have? Do I have to go by what the claim adjustor is quoting to me or do I have to sue the individual/insurance agency in order to get the car fixed to the mechanic's specs?

Get a couple other written quotes and submit them to the Insurance Co. If they don't see things your way, then go the lawsuit route.

Get the estimates together and submit them. If they wont pay, there may be a CA statute that gives you some relief but if not you will need to get a lawyer. Work up a loss of use claim and a diminished value claim to make it worth your time and to punish them for not paying a conservative estimate of what they owe.

See if your insurance agent can fight on your behalf.

This.

I have no idea what your "rights" are under Texas law, but I'd stick to my guns, particularly under the circumstances, and insist that my car is repaired at the shop of my choosing..

Insurance Agent here. You can file a claim under your insurance company. They will offer you more than Progressive. Progressive is notorious for low balling offers. Your insurance company will pay you for your loss and then subrogate against Progressive. The only downside is you will have to pay a deductible and it will be reimbursed to you after Progressive pays your company.

This happens almost everytime one of my customers has a claim against Progressive. PM me if you need any specific advice.

• Like 3

Insurance Agent here. You can file a claim under your insurance company. They will offer you more than Progressive. Progressive is notorious for low balling offers. Your insurance company will pay you for your loss and then subrogate against Progressive. The only downside is you will have to pay a deductible and it will be reimbursed to you after Progressive pays your company.

This happens almost everytime one of my customers has a claim against Progressive. PM me if you need any specific advice.

This is why the huddle is great. :tup:

Don't forget to check into diminished value. Once your car is fixed it will be worth less than it was before the accident no matter how great the repair job. Why should you have to absorb that loss?

Nice article and good to know...will check into it with insurance agent.

Nice article and good to know...will check into it with insurance agent.

Came into to post regarding DV. Differs from state to state and you won't be able to go through your own insurance company for this. As noted, after the vehicle is repaired, you can have any one of a number of companies do a Diminished Value report. Generally, you're looking at about 25% of your pre-wreck value. Not saying you will get that much, but that's what you will probably start negotiating for. Recently, I started at $14,000 for a DV claim. Insurance company started at $2700. We just settled at $11,500. I paid $299 for the original DV report and then did all the negotiating myself. Typically you wouldn't need an attorney to negotiate unless you really hit a wall.

Came into to post regarding DV. Differs from state to state and you won't be able to go through your own insurance company for this. As noted, after the vehicle is repaired, you can have any one of a number of companies do a Diminished Value report. Generally, you're looking at about 25% of your pre-wreck value. Not saying you will get that much, but that's what you will probably start negotiating for. Recently, I started at $14,000 for a DV claim. Insurance company started at $2700. We just settled at $11,500. I paid $299 for the original DV report and then did all the negotiating myself. Typically you wouldn't need an attorney to negotiate unless you really hit a wall.

Good advice here. All insurance companies offer next to nothing for diminished value. Just the nature of the beast. Most people just take what they are offered.