[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Respect for those who eschew the pink

Furd

People here have accused me of being negative and having a stick up my ass, seems to be I have a lot of company.

Unfortunately yes, when you go on falming people for simply saying that they wish that other types of cancer got similar exposure, and then painting it as if they're somehow complaining about breast cancer awareness.

I should have known better than to even opine on a subject like this. It brings out the worst in people.

Unfortunately yes, when you go on falming people for simply saying that they wish that other types of cancer got similar exposure, and then painting it as if they're somehow complaining about breast cancer awareness.

I should have known better than to even opine on a subject like this. It brings out the worst in people.

Whatever, I expressed my opinion like others did. I think its silly for people to complaining. "Are they really going to do this all month, it seems like half the season" "Instead of spending all this money on the extra pink gear why not just donate to the charities." I paraphrased to things that were said here, which I found to be silly.

Then you have detlef and his railing against because of his dislike of Komen, oh wait but that wasn't the charity invovled.

I don't have the time or desire to go back and make points on each post. Why somebody even starts a thread like this is what is amazing. (Besides which its really a tailgate topic.)

Whatever, I expressed my opinion like others did.

Exactly, and yet you continue to spend more time complaining about the "complainers" than people who are "complaining", whilst not really adding anything to the discussion besides "this thread is stupid". Text-book irony... But anyways, I'll stop before I start complaining about your constant complaining about the complainers.

I think keggerz response put it into good perspective why things are the way they are. I also think many of us made a good point for why we should push for other kinds of awareness besides an already heavily-publicized charity and cause that seems to care more about exposure than the greater good. These are all valid points of debate, but sorry, your flaming adds absolutely nothnig to the discussion.

If a thread like this isn't your cup of tea, don't click on it, but some would like to discuss the merits of the causes that the NFL chooses to and not to publicize.

Whatever, I expressed my opinion like others did. I think its silly for people to complaining. "Are they really going to do this all month, it seems like half the season" "Instead of spending all this money on the extra pink gear why not just donate to the charities." I paraphrased to things that were said here, which I found to be silly.

Then you have detlef and his railing against because of his dislike of Komen, oh wait but that wasn't the charity invovled.

I don't have the time or desire to go back and make points on each post. Why somebody even starts a thread like this is what is amazing. (Besides which its really a tailgate topic.)

As a counter to "don't hate because breast cancer charities do a better job", using ACS rather than Komen is just as good to ask, "better at what?" Spending a ton of money to raise more still? Putting their brand before their cause? That, somehow, prostate cancer or lung cancer charities have only themselves to blame for no whoring themselves as shamelessly as those raising money for breast cancer?

None the less, I brought up Komen because there's a prevailing attitude that, if you dare to speak out against a charity, you must be an a-hole. Komen is a perfect example of why charities should not be off-limits in this respect and this was a fine platform to point that out.

My issue is less with the discussion than the initial thread, and some posts by others basically saying "TWINKIES ANYONE why are they doing this, what good does it do there are other things that should be done." Its like the story about any other good thing, when people have a negative response.

Sorry if I offended anybody's sensibilities for complaining about those who are merely complaining.

keg made a great point, but people seemed to gloss over it and not acknowledge that they really have no interest in helping other organizations do some good. They just want to :mouth::rant: and then :mouth: some more.

I am done with this one.

Meh. The pink unis don't bother me, and raising money did breast cancer charities is a good thing

That in no way denigrates other cancers or should lead to an audit of the charities involved. There is WAAY too much other crap to get upset/worried about than this.

-sigh- too many ppl on "time outs" lead to dumbass threads like this spinning out of control

Another benefit of regular prostate checks is that we could notice and treat "stick up butt" and Bug up your ass" more effectively. Early detection is everything people.

So for a prostate cancer charity the marketing color of choice would be... brown?

I don't really have any major issue with the komen foundation, or any other group involved in cancer funding, or "awareness", or any of that.

bottom line is I am sick of all this for two reasons. 1) I just don't care for pink and the unis are hideous, and 2) all this "awareness" is primarily just a marketing ploy hucksters are using to sell pink chit and pander to a particular demographic. certainly that is how the NFL involvement strikes me, wrapping themselves in pink to show how awesome and "aware" they are. so much of marketing and PR these days is about blowing smoke up peoples' butts.

If you ever had to go through breast cancer with your wife, daughter or mother, your feeling would be that enough can't done be to raise funds or create awareness. It is not only physically taxing, but emotionally draining as well.

Edited by Scorcher

If you ever had to go through breast cancer with your wife, daughter or mother, your feeling would be that enough can't done to raise funds or create awareness. It is not only physically taxing, but emotionally draining as well.

We all understand that, just that some things should not be changed, including the flag, ball, goalposts, etc. Don't recall them using pink flags before.

I have nothing against the campaign in general, but wonder where it ends if they'll change the flags (ball, goal post, field).

• 2 years later...

The "pink campaign" is nearly a total marketing sham. I am aware of some things behind the scenes with the entity that runs this campaign. If you want to get involved with breast cancer awareness which is a good cause, following the NFL's lead isn't the way to do it.

• Like 1

Guest Ted Goings

It's all about money...Does anyone really think that we couldn't have cured cancer by now? There is nowhere near as much money in a cure as there is in a lifetime of treatment.

This will be unpopular, but what we need is a Global Over-Population Awareness Month where we remind people that no one lives forever, and there is nothing tragic about death by natural causes. Keeping people alive into their 90's who were supposed to die in their 70s is not about doing them any favors. It is getting 20 more years worth of money in the pharmaceutical companies pockets.

Before you crucify me, know that every member of my family has died from either cancer or heart disease, most of them in their 60's. I have no illusions that I will live forever. I believe that it is better to die when you are supposed to than to be kept alive by drugs and machines.

The "pink campaign" is nearly a total marketing sham. I am aware of some things behind the scenes with the entity that runs this campaign. If you want to get involved with breast cancer awareness which is a good cause, following the NFL's lead isn't the way to do it.

I read something the other day like 10-15% of the cost of NFL "pink" merchandise goes to breast cancer research. Unless its more about somebody wearing the pink to show their support, they're better off donating the cost of whatever they were going to buy (or even half of that) directly to research.

Its mostly about the NFL trying to appeal to women, trying to seel them merchandise and trying to generate some good PR for an organization where we read a lot about their employees being gutless thugs, including assaulting their women.

At least they scrapped that stupid idea of having the flags be pink, while players had pink towels that looked quite similar.

• Like 3

It's all about money...Does anyone really think that we couldn't have cured cancer by now? There is nowhere near as much money in a cure as there is in a lifetime of treatment.

This will be unpopular, but what we need is a Global Over-Population Awareness Month where we remind people that no one lives forever, and there is nothing tragic about death by natural causes. Keeping people alive into their 90's who were supposed to die in their 70s is not about doing them any favors. It is getting 20 more years worth of money in the pharmaceutical companies pockets.

Before you crucify me, know that every member of my family has died from either cancer or heart disease, most of them in their 60's. I have no illusions that I will live forever. I believe that it is better to die when you are supposed to than to be kept alive by drugs and machines.

I appreciate that you feel the need to insert your cynicism into all the threads involving health issues, but your unsolicited views on life and death may be better suited for forums dedicated to those topics. Please go find the forums where those 70 year old people are fighting to survive by their choice, and explain to them why they should just give up and except their fate of death now. Make sure they understand that all pharmaceutical companies are evil entities that should not be given money and it is better for them to follow the natural order of things and die, rather than following their choice to survive and spend more time with their families or accomplishing their life goals. I'm sure everyone will appreciate you inferring on their beliefs.

• Like 3