[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm pitching a tent

rajncajn

I've just gotta figure out the right one to get.

I'm looking to replace our old & busted 6 person tent with a fancy new one. Wondering if anyone has any good suggestions. The tent I have now is just the basic square. It's really old and doesn't do much for making you comfortable & dry anymore. Trying to keep the price under $200.

I'm looking at this one right now. I really like the easy-open door, the built-in lighting & the quick-zip windows. It needs to be able to fit two queen-sized air mattresses and still have room to move around.

I just bought this tent from Amazon.

Like you my old tent was very old and outdated.

I set this up yesterday to do a dry run for the weekend.

more room and stylish than old.

This tent will not last near as long if you do not take care of poles. The poles are held together by a stretchy cord. old tent you could improvise if poles are bent or lost. Overall this tent will be fine for the weekend. It is also on sale for 100 bucks.

Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome Tent

http://www.amazon.co...ified Dome Tent

It will hold 3 queen size mattresses. two queen sizes mattresses and you have room to move around.

Edited by moneymakers

I just bought this tent from Amazon.

Like you my old tent was very old and outdated.

I set this up yesterday to do a dry run for the weekend.

more room and stylish than old.

This tent will not last near as long. You will have to take care of the poles for these are held together by a stretchy cord. old tent you could improvise if bent or lost. these you cannot.

Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome Tent

http://www.amazon.co...ified Dome Tent

Shouldn't you be building an underground bomb shelter? When the world ends your tent ain't gonna do sheeet for ya. Ya know, it won't be long now.

Coleman's are great for the price, just be careful that you don't get the fabric caught in the zipper.

This is why I won't buy anything besides Mountain Hardwear anymore (on closeout from altrec.com or sierra trading post of course, because it's expensive otherwise), after 2 different tents, an REI and a Coleman wouldn't zip up and left me freezing a couple nights.

However, everything I've ever gotten from Mountain Hardwear has been the best of quality, even the zippers that won't get caught. Between those sites, I'm pretty sure I got out for under $500 for an awesome pack, hiking tent, shell and breathable windstopper jacket.

Coleman's are great for the price, just be careful that you don't get the fabric caught in the zipper.

This is why I won't buy anything besides Mountain Hardwear anymore (on closeout from altrec.com or sierra trading post of course, because it's expensive otherwise), after 2 different tents, an REI and a Coleman wouldn't zip up and left me freezing a couple nights.

However, everything I've ever gotten from Mountain Hardwear has been the best of quality, even the zippers that won't get caught. Between those sites, I'm pretty sure I got out for under $500 for an awesome pack, hiking tent, shell and breathable windstopper jacket.

Even at a discount those are out of my price range.

Even at a discount those are out of my price range.

Gotcha, that was more an aside, because yes, at the size and price range you're looking, you're probably not gonig to do better than a Coleman.

More just a warning to be careful when you zip them up, but that one you're looking at looks nice.

Gotcha, that was more an aside, because yes, at the size and price range you're looking, you're probably not gonig to do better than a Coleman.

More just a warning to be careful when you zip them up, but that one you're looking at looks nice.

That's part of the reason why I like that particular one. The door opens & closes like a regular door rather than zipping open & closed. With kids, they're constantly going in & out of the tent.

Don't buy a Colman if it rains where you're camping. I just got a 6 person Kelty off Campmor for under $200

http://www.campmor.c...Product___27880

check out the Eureka's too

Good call, Kelty makes really nice stuff for the price, but you're talking a standard 6 man that's really a 3-4 man if you want any room at all to move around, and even then it's really more akin to a hiking tent than some of these monster tents you can actually stand up in....

He's looking for one of those huge, camp but have the family sleep on 2 queen-sized air-mattresses in a tent the size of some cajun floating shacks.

Though that may be a good call on water. It's been years since I had one of those huge Coleman tents, but it did end up leaking. Though if they're on air-matresses, it isn't like they're going to wake up soaked at least...

But more recently I had a little Coleman hiking tent that only cost 20 bucks (and packed up to just 4 pounds and very little space) that lasted me a good while, never leaked at all. I'd assume they're working with better technology than they used to be.

This sucks. I thought for sure this was going to be a link to some hot chick, doing some hot thing, and with very little clothes on.

Good call, Kelty makes really nice stuff for the price, but you're talking a standard 6 man that's really a 3-4 man if you want any room at all to move around, and even then it's really more akin to a hiking tent than some of these monster tents you can actually stand up in....

He's looking for one of those huge, camp but have the family sleep on 2 queen-sized air-mattresses in a tent the size of some cajun floating shacks.

Though that may be a good call on water. It's been years since I had one of those huge Coleman tents, but it did end up leaking. Though if they're on air-matresses, it isn't like they're going to wake up soaked at least...

But more recently I had a little Coleman hiking tent that only cost 20 bucks (and packed up to just 4 pounds and very little space) that lasted me a good while, never leaked at all. I'd assume they're working with better technology than they used to be.

yeah if you click on the link you'll see the specs on the tent. Dimensions 9'2"x10'10" Area (Sq. Ft.) 99 tent + 22 vest Int Height

5'10"

definitely get 6 plus people in there and stand up

• 2 weeks later...