[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Culture Yourself: A Premier Beer and Cheese Pairing

loaf

Sunday, October 21

Session 1: 2-4 p.m.

Session 2: 6-8 p.m.

Great Lakes Brewing Company's Tasting Room

1947 W. 28th (Carroll Avenue entrance), Cleveland OH 44113

I'm going to the 6-8 PM Session

Cleveland Beer Week is Back! I'll post the Brewzilla Beers once finalized.

New, larger space! Two sessions! Beer/Cheese pairings!

Beer and cheese are an age-old union. Both are fermented products that start originally from grain, one more directly than the other but both dependent on it.

Join us as 14 top breweries pour beers that have been carefully paired with artisanal cheeses. Learn what cheeses showcase best with popular beer styles and why, including IPA, weisse/wheat, pilsner, imperial IPA, Oktoberfest, Belgian golden and Belgian tripel. Meet the brewers and cheesemakers, and enjoy this interactive, educational, walk-around tasting event while discovering your favorites and creating some pairings of your own!

Advance tickets are required at $35/person and include 25 two-ounce beer samples with cheese pairings. All proceeds benefit Malone Scholarship Fund. Must be 21 years of age. No children admitted. Sponsored by Great Lakes Brewing Company, Heinen's, Bells Brewery and Culture Magazine.

Featured Breweries:

• Bell's Brewery: Best Brown Ale, Two Hearted Pale Ale, Oarsman, Midwestner Pale Ale
  • Great Lakes Brewing Company: The Wright Pils, Commodore Perry IPA, Oktoberfest, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, Dortmuner Gold, Burning River Pale Ale
  • The Brew Kettle Production Works: Strangeville Pumpkin Ale, Oktofest Oktoberfest, Old 21 Imperial IPA, White Rajah IPA
  • Hoppin' Frog: Hopped-Up Goose Juice Rye IPA, Hoppin' Frog Oktoberfest, Cafe Silk Porter (release date Oct 19!), Barrel-Aged Frogs Hollow Double Pumpkin IPA
  • Indigo Imp: Blonde Bombshell, Jester, Fiend, Dragon
  • Buckeye Brewing: Paw Paw, Spicebush Wheat, Aquarius Imperial IPA, Cleveland Beer Week 2012
  • Market Garden Brewery: Pearl Street Wheat, Market Centennial Extra IPA, Progress Pilsner, Fall Porter
  • Samuel Adams: New World Tripel, Thirteenth Hour Stout, Tasman Red, Norse Legent
  • Goose Island: Matilda, Sofie, Pere Jacques, Pepe Nero
  • North Coast: Le Merle Farmhouse Saison, Old Stock Ale, Red Seal Ale, Brother Theloniuos Belgian Style Abbey Ale
  • Sierra Nevada: Pale Ale, Torpedo IPA, Big Foot Barley Wine, Ovila Dubbel
  • Troeg's: Mad Elf, Troegenator, Java Head Stout, Troegs Pale Ale
  • Lagunitas: IPA, Little Sumpin Sumpin, PILS, Wilco Tango Foxtrot
  • Smuttynose: Finestkind IPA, Old Brown Dog, Robust Porter, Vunderbar Pilsner

Featured Creameries (various selections from each will be featured):

• Mapleleaf Farms, WI
  • Mackenzie Creamery, OH
  • Rogue Creamery, OR:
  • Vermont & Cheese Creamery, VT
  • Sartori Cheese, WI
  • Emmi-Roth Kase, WI
  • Cypress Grove, CA
  • Beemster, Holland
  • Beecher's Handmade Cheese, NY
  • St. Angel, France

In addition, learn from cheese experts how they match flavors to beers while you taste these carefully selected pairings:

• Great Lakes Oktoberfest with Heinen's Surchoix Gruyere
  • The Brew Kettle White Rajah with Heinen's Hand Selected Cheddar
  • Hoppin' Frog Cafe Silk Porter with Rogue Creamery Oregon Blue
  • Indigo Imp Blonde Bombshell with Vermont Creamery Coupole
  • Buckeye Brewing Spicebush Wheat with Mackenzie Creamery Chevre
  • Market Garden Centennial Extra IPA with Sartori SarVecchio Parmesan
  • Samuel Adams New World Tripel with Cypress Grove Midnight Moon
  • Goose Island Matilda with Taleggio
  • Bell's Brewery Best Brown Ale with Beemster Vlaskaas
  • North Coast Le Merle with St. Angel Triple Creme
  • Sierra Nevada Big Foot Barley Wine with Beemster XO
  • Troeg's Mad Elf with Sartori Bellavitano
  • Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin with Beecher's Flagship
  • Smuttynose Vunderbar Pilsner with Cypress Grove Lamb Chopper

• Like 1

Very nice. We have blind pairings weekly in our class. Then we compare and taste again the most popular pairings of the night. Many a cheese will bring out the featured flavors of the host beers and vice verse. Have fun my friend, I love me some fall brew fests!

I love doing beer and wine tastings/festivals etc. Makes me feel like less of a degenerate drunk when I'm in a cultured environment discussing the finer points. Until I turn purple, start slurring and stumbling around, asking questions like why is the "t" in merlot silent.