[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colitis

WashingtonD

you should have listened to chargerz

The best comedic timing ever on this site. It's f*cked up but hilarious. I don't think up until now in my life I have ever burst out laughing hysterically before. :tup:

Edited by cliaz
  • Like 1

Foreign substances (antigens) in the environment may be the direct cause of the inflammation

There's your problem...

Dammit, there's no way to be funny about this and not feel bad. I hope your butthurt goes away soon Dave, but I will apologize in advance for my records in LLD and YODT likely contributing to it...

Going into the GI doctor today to figure out what's what. Still feel like about half the human I usually am, though at this point it may be because I would straight murder someone for something to eat besides broth and rice. Last week has been like living in Shawshank (well without the worms in the rice, getting beaten down by guards, sleeping on a cot in a cell, and the rapeage...but besides that exactly like shawshank)

I have Chrons. You need to figure out what your trigger foods are and avoid them. For me, Canola Oil and Ice Cream. Good Luck!

I have some triggers too, ice cream being one, eggs (not the whites) and ham, gosh darn ham...but bacon doesn't bother me so go figure...and there are many others too bu those are the big ones.

fwiw, been getting treatment for it for about 4+ years now, but probably dealt with it for four plus before I went to the doc...a couple of years ago the med they had me on really F'd me up...used to have to get my blood checked every 90 days or so and I got real sick...white count was super high...dropped like 30-40 pounds in a few weeks...then went on prednisone for almost 6 months while they figured out what I could go on...during that span of prednisone I shot up from about 140 to 204...F'n sucked big time...knock on wood but the med I am on now has worked well and no real side effects like when I was on Mercaptopurine (which sucked)

Going into the GI doctor today to figure out what's what. Still feel like about half the human I usually am, though at this point it may be because I would straight murder someone for something to eat besides broth and rice. Last week has been like living in Shawshank (well without the worms in the rice, getting beaten down by guards, sleeping on a cot in a cell, and the rapeage...but besides that exactly like shawshank)

My aunt has about the worse case you can get. She has been so sick that she was bed ridden and on powerful steroids because they cannot find a way to control and manage it. There is one method out there that reverses the physical affects of this disease but it is not legal in the US - parasitic worms. Apparently, there is a specific type of parasitic worm in Africa that when they attach themselves to the intestine trigger a reaction in our bodies that heals the ulcers and put UC in remission. Once the symptoms go away a person takes the proper medication to rid themselves of the parasites. Anytime it flares up again you go get re-infected and repeat the cycle. I read the research on it and case studies - it's very promising and hopefully the pharmas out there are using that to work on a drug.

Out of curiosity, are you left handed?

Well played john! I am right handed however.

Nothing from the GI doc 'cept that the ER doc was a little early to call it colitis. So another battery of tests including an MRI and colonoscopy in the next two weeks to chase it down to colitis, pancreatitis or something else and in the meantime I remain on the shawshank dining plan.

Appreciate the well wishes!

D

I have some triggers too, ice cream being one, eggs (not the whites) and ham, gosh darn ham...but bacon doesn't bother me so go figure...and there are many others too bu those are the big ones.

fwiw, been getting treatment for it for about 4+ years now, but probably dealt with it for four plus before I went to the doc...a couple of years ago the med they had me on really F'd me up...used to have to get my blood checked every 90 days or so and I got real sick...white count was super high...dropped like 30-40 pounds in a few weeks...then went on prednisone for almost 6 months while they figured out what I could go on...during that span of prednisone I shot up from about 140 to 204...F'n sucked big time...knock on wood but the med I am on now has worked well and no real side effects like when I was on Mercaptopurine (which sucked)

Kinda sounds like me. Except it damn near killed me. I had UC for years and didn't know it. When I was younger(17 or so) I started to crap out blood. Went to the doctors and was told it was hemorrhoids. So I go on with my life thinking it was normal to bleed sometimes bc of this. Well 5-6 years later and Im still bleeding and go to bathroom more then the average joe. I always felt embarrassed bc I could never make it through a dinner date with my girlfriend or anything else without cutting it short bc of these issues(horrible feeling).

Fast forward one more year and its starting to get worse. Ive lost about 35 pounds,skins extremely white, my heart beats faster then normal, I'm tired all day and have no energy and all I wanna do is eat ice cubes and sleep. So im at work one day(2 coworkers around me) and out of no where I start to get dizzy, my heart starts beating out of my chest, I turn straight white and pass out for a few seconds. At this point my co workers are concerned and want to call for help but I assure them I'm alright(I'm stubborn as hell). I get home and am pretty scared about what happened so I fill my gf in. She immediately makes me a doctors appointment. The next day I go and explain what happened and how I've been feeling so they take my blood.

2 days later, I'm at work and look at my phone. I have a voicemail from the doctor. He tells me to go to the emergency room ASAP bc I need a blood transfusion. My blood count was at a 4.8 and normal is around 12 I believe...so I'm scared as heck. I get to the hospital(my doctor called ahead so they were ready for me) and they give me an IV and start my 1st bag of blood. I ended up being critically anemic and was giving a total of 4 bags. 3 days later I'm still hospitalized and was scheduled for a colonoscopy and that's when they found out about my ulcers. It ended up being a huge relief bc I was thinking the worse. Now I just have to take medicine everyday and it controls it pretty well. I kind of feel normal now with only a couple flare ups through the years. Just do what the others said and stay away from foods that trigger it and you'll be fine.

Anyways, point of story is that I never thought something serious like this could actually be happening to me at such a young age but I was dead wrong. I know a lot of friends that push a visit to the doctors office aside but I'll be the 1st to tell anyone to just go bc you can make it worse then it has to be. So please everyone at the huddle stay on top of your check ups!

Good friend of mine has UC. It put him in the hospital for a while and he lost a lot of weigh til they got it under control. He's on meds for it now and manages it well. As others have said, he knows what he shouldn't eat and avoids it most of the time.

Can you still consume alcohol?

Edited by electricrelish