[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rainbow Pride

rajncajn

i have heard that bounties for injuries have gone over well in some locker rooms...much more noble than raising money for civil rights.

You may want to check for comparisons in actual charitable contributions vs being an attention whore before slinging mud.

ETA: And for the record, I have no issues whatsoever with gay marriage or whatever people prefer to engage in with their personal lives as long as it does not harm others. So if that's what's rubbed you the wrong way then you're quite mistaken. I do however think that there are MUCH better ways of promoting your views than posing with your shirt off in a magazine.

Edited by rajncajn

You may want to check for comparisons in actual charitable contributions vs being an attention whore before slinging mud.

you were holding locker room acceptance as the standard for which we should have been judging his actions. I would also believe that there is a significant difference between being an attention whore (solely for the sake of gaining attention) and raising awareness/funds for gay rights. so what comparison are you speaking of exactly? the saints organization vs a f'n punter? New Orleans was devastated by a natural disaster (which quite possibly could have been avoided if the city received/allocated appropriate funding prior to the incident which shalt not be named). Seemed like everyone was chipping in for the most part. What kind of PR would players get if the didn't. meanwhile, the vikings raise fund for boat parties. clear winner imo!

ETA: And for the record, I have no issues whatsoever with gay marriage or whatever people prefer to engage in with their personal lives as long as it does not harm others. So if that's what's rubbed you the wrong way then you're quite mistaken. I do however think that there are MUCH better ways of promoting your views than posing with your shirt off in a magazine.

you were holding locker room acceptance as the standard for which we should have been judging his actions. I would also believe that there is a significant difference between being an attention whore (solely for the sake of gaining attention) and raising awareness/funds for gay rights. so what comparison are you speaking of exactly? the saints organization vs a f'n punter? New Orleans was devastated by a natural disaster (which quite possibly could have been avoided if the city received/allocated appropriate funding prior to the incident which shalt not be named). Seemed like everyone was chipping in for the most part. What kind of PR would players get if the didn't. meanwhile, the vikings raise fund for boat parties. clear winner imo!

How did you get that I was holding that as any kind of standard? It was making a valid observation based on what the typical locker room mentality to be like. Maybe you don't think he's an attention whore, but it seems to me that far too often I am hearing Chris Kluwe's opinion on many things that, at least I, couldn't care less what he thinks on. Just like many Hollywood types, he thinks his opinion is all that really matters. And just how does posing with your shirt off in a gay magazine raise awareness? Do you think that opposers are going to just happen to pick up a gay mag and say "oh look, that's Chis Kluwe, my favorite narcissistic punter!!! I guess gay marriage is ok after all!?!?" Well, Irish maybe, but who else? Like I said, there are much better ways of raising awareness and helping others than posing with your shirt off. All four of the Saints players who are being punished for bountygate are very well known locally for their charity work and hardly just for what they did for Katrina victims, especially Fujita who's basically dedicated himself to raising awareness for ALS victims and, believe it or not, has been a big advocate for player safety. But you don't see them flaunting it or posing for their cause in a magazine.

How did you get that I was holding that as any kind of standard? It was making a valid observation based on what the typical locker room mentality to be like. Maybe you don't think he's an attention whore, but it seems to me that far too often I am hearing Chris Kluwe's opinion on many things that, at least I, couldn't care less what he thinks on. Just like many Hollywood types, he thinks his opinion is all that really matters. And just how does posing with your shirt off in a gay magazine raise awareness? Do you think that opposers are going to just happen to pick up a gay mag and say "oh look, that's Chis Kluwe, my favorite narcissistic punter!!! I guess gay marriage is ok after all!?!?" Well, Irish maybe, but who else? Like I said, there are much better ways of raising awareness and helping others than posing with your shirt off. All four of the Saints players who are being punished for bountygate are very well known locally for their charity work and hardly just for what they did for Katrina victims, especially Fujita who's basically dedicated himself to raising awareness for ALS victims and, believe it or not, has been a big advocate for player safety. But you don't see them flaunting it or posing for their cause in a magazine.

- your initial response was "i bet that goes over well in the locker room." well, it probably won't and that is part of the problem. but that is you holding the locker room's acceptance as the standard of behavior. it shouldn't matter what the locker room think about his posing. plus you were laughing out loud about it. not really funny that he is at least trying to do something. so good for him that he is willing to put up with criticism from teammates and fans to promote gay rights.

-on a very small scale, a very devoted saints fan posted it on a ff message board and we are discussing it.. there are many ways of raising awareness. this is just a small one. frankly, i am not really interested to research what every player raises for their charities of choice/communities...as long as there are doing it.

- your initial response was "i bet that goes over well in the locker room." well, it probably won't and that is part of the problem. but that is you holding the locker room's acceptance as the standard of behavior. it shouldn't matter what the locker room think about his posing. plus you were laughing out loud about it. not really funny that he is at least trying to do something. so good for him that he is willing to put up with criticism from teammates and fans to promote gay rights.

That hardly equates me saying that how the locker room takes it as being how it should be taken & yes, I found it VERY funny because:

1. It gives me a great opportunity to poke fun at my fellow Huddlers who are Vikings fans

2. It gives me a great opportunity to poke fun at someone who I really don't care much for

3. I find it laughable that he thinks vanity is a great way to promote one's cause and

4. I think it's funny that he's going to catch a lot of flack from his fellow players for it regardless of how noble and brave he thinks he's being.

-on a very small scale, a very devoted saints fan posted it on a ff message board and we are discussing it.. there are many ways of raising awareness. this is just a small one. frankly, i am not really interested to research what every player raises for their charities of choice/communities...as long as there are doing it.

That much we can agree on.

That hardly equates me saying that how the locker room takes it as being how it should be taken & yes, I found it VERY funny because:

1. It gives me a great opportunity to poke fun at my fellow Huddlers who are Vikings fans- np there

2. It gives me a great opportunity to poke fun at someone who I really don't care much for- indifferent

3. I find it laughable that he thinks vanity is a great way to promote one's cause and- he's not the first, but your reaction diminishes the cause

4. I think it's funny that he's going to catch a lot of flack from his fellow players for it regardless of how noble and brave he thinks he's being.- that's a problem that needs to be addressed

That much we can agree on.

I think the key difference in our belief is that I think what he is doing actually diminishes the cause and in fact makes a mockery of it. Much in the same way PITA makes a mockery of the fight against animal cruelty and even worse I think he does it for his own notoriety rather than being a true advocate. Maybe it does promote awareness at the same time. After all, we're here talking about it on a FF message board, but to me, whatever the cause, it looks ridiculous and serves more as self promotion.

But hey, I respect you for standing up for something you feel strongly about. :tup: NTTAWWT ;)

I think the key difference in our belief is that I think what he is doing actually diminishes the cause and in fact makes a mockery of it. Much in the same way PITA makes a mockery of the fight against animal cruelty and even worse I think he does it for his own notoriety rather than being a true advocate. Maybe it does promote awareness at the same time. After all, we're here talking about it on a FF message board, but to me, whatever the cause, it looks ridiculous and serves more as self promotion.

Freudian slip?