[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New James Bond movie --- Skyfall

muck

If it isn't a Bond movie with Connery as Bond what is the point?

I mean...enjoy the movie by all means.....but it really isn't a "Bond" movie.

For starters, I even dig the campy crappy ones made between Connery and now. But, Craig is the most bad-ass Bond since Connery and the only one, including him, who you actually believe could kick your ass. Nonetheless, Bond is bigger than Connery.

At any rate, we're fired up and will be tailgating en masse in formal attire and then sneaking bottles of Champagne into the theater. In fact, I scored a great deal on 375s which we can sneak in our coats.

It is on.

Each time I see a new ad for a new Bond movie I always ask why don't they retire the series. I mean seriously, James Bonds beats out Jack Bauer as far as the most F'ed up crap to happen to one person in such a short period. I love the classic Bond movies (Sean Connery) and I agree with Detlef in that Craig is a more action/bad-ass Bond. I just think they need to retire the series.

For starters, I even dig the campy crappy ones made between Connery and now. But, Craig is the most bad-ass Bond since Connery and the only one, including him, who you actually believe could kick your ass. Nonetheless, Bond is bigger than Connery.

At any rate, we're fired up and will be tailgating en masse in formal attire and then sneaking bottles of Champagne into the theater. In fact, I scored a great deal on 375s which we can sneak in our coats.

It is on.

Agree with Det. I can't wait...

Here's a decent list of Bond films, though I would put Ocotchives MUCH higher because it's really the only Roger Moore one I can stomach at this point, unless I want to get taht blaxploitation vibe and put in Live and Let Die. I would also put OHMSS a touch higher as well, even though Lazenby is a bit of a dud, because it has just about the best version of everything in any Bond movie: villiain, girl, final chase etc.

Here's a decent list of Bond films, though I would put Ocotchives MUCH higher because it's really the only Roger Moore one I can stomach at this point, unless I want to get taht blaxploitation vibe and put in Live and Let Die. I would also put OHMSS a touch higher as well, even though Lazenby is a bit of a dud, because it has just about the best version of everything in any Bond movie: villiain, girl, final chase etc.

I actually get putting Octo near the bottom and just above View to A Kill, primarily because those were Moore's last flicks when he added being an old fart to his already annoying melange of being a disco-suit-wearing-karate-chopping poof. However, how Moonraker ranks as high as it does...

I also think the Brosnan flicks don't get a fair shake. Not that they're great or anything, but from the standpoint of effects and what not, they're pretty solid. The ice palace in Die Another Day and Halle's bikini almost make up for the complete lack of chemistry the two shared. He also plays the smarmy jokester act better than Moore. So, at very least, I'd put his ahead of most, if not all, of Moore's movies and, of course, ahead of Dalton's (which suffered, as much as because of him but also because women were made to look about as unhot as ever during that era and the overuse of the Central American drug-lord bit so popular then).

I agree with Her Majesty's. Great story and a crew of wayward hotties stuck in a ski resort. The crazy ding-bat with the curly hair is sort of a dark horse for all-time bond girl.

Our tastes vary on that, as Die Another Day was a frozen turd imo, all the way to the invisible jag. Looking back, almost all the Moore one's are a fiasco, partly given the time, but if you're going to throw a bone to any like that list does with SWLM then I still think Octochives holds up best of all, and I used to be a very big fan of FYEO which falls apart as well.

And yes on the curly haired girl who rights her number on his leg with lipstick during dinner. It's perfect, really: he blows his cover because he can't keep hi dick in his pants.

Our tastes vary on that, as Die Another Day was a frozen turd imo, all the way to the invisible jag. Looking back, almost all the Moore one's are a fiasco, partly given the time, but if you're going to throw a bone to any like that list does with SWLM then I still think Octochives holds up best of all, and I used to be a very big fan of FYEO which falls apart as well.

And yes on the curly haired girl who rights her number on his leg with lipstick during dinner. It's perfect, really: he blows his cover because he can't keep hi dick in his pants.

Interesting bit of info, Lazenby's Bond girl was Diana Rigg who, coincidentally was recently cast to play the Queen of Thorns in the Game of Thrones series this upcoming season.

Don't get me wrong, Die Another Day was awful and likely the worst of the Bronson flicks. I'm just saying that it's a brand of awful that at least has some slick effects born of modern invent to hide behind. Unlike a brand of awful that relies on an ugly early 80s Lotus that turns into a submarine for it's tricks. And, yes, I realize I'm probably mixing up my gadgets here.

I'll also take a random celebrity appearance from Madonna over Tattoo if I've got the choice.

As far as For Your Eyes. It would actually be a decent flick but for the ice skater chick that you wish would come to an untimely death at some point.

Edited by detlef

Bolivia. That's what's at stake in the new James Bond movie. Except not the entire country, just the public utilities. And not all public utilities, just 60% of the water... Yes, if a certain evil villain gets his way, 60% of the water in Bolivia will cost more. JESUS NO! Only James Bond—the secret agent who foiled a plot to destroy London with nuclear missiles—can make water more affordable for Bolivians! This is easily the stupidest James Bond movie since the last one. I don't know what Hollywood's obsession is with making jerk-off movies where the bad guys are "realistic." You know what's another word for realistic? Boring. If I wanted realism, I'd walk down the street to get Mexican food, and maybe stop by a Borders and pick up some magazines. You know why they don't make movies about me shopping for magazines? That's because nobody gives a chives. And that's what Quantum of Solaceis: me shopping for magazines, with no Mexican food. I don't see movies for realism, and if I did, I sure as hell wouldn't watch one made by some mister who thinks "reality" can best be represented with the aid of 219 special effects artists.

Best review of the recent Bond movies.

Edited by CaptainHook

If anyone cares for major plot spoilers, since the movie was released in Europe already, there's already a pretty thorough plot breakdown on wikipedia. I couldn't resist so I read it. Still defitely wanna see the flick though. Not sure that I'll be tailgating mind you.

If anyone cares for major plot spoilers, since the movie was released in Europe already, there's already a pretty thorough plot breakdown on wikipedia. I couldn't resist so I read it. Still defitely wanna see the flick though. Not sure that I'll be tailgating mind you.

Yeah I had never heard of tailgating for a movie. I remember when we were younger we might do some drinking before we went into a movie or concert. A friend of mine recently told me he was tailgating for a HS football game, and that seemed strange as well.

But hey to each his own, nothing wrong with a little party before an event.

Yeah I had never heard of tailgating for a movie. I remember when we were younger we might do some drinking before we went into a movie or concert. A friend of mine recently told me he was tailgating for a HS football game, and that seemed strange as well.

But hey to each his own, nothing wrong with a little party before an event.

For the record, I've never technically tailgated for a movie, but this sounded like a good excuse for a party and we thought we'd make a scene by dressing to the nines. I mean, what the hell?

Saw it last night on IMAX.

Overheard exiting the theater --- "Man, that bad guy was creepy, sorta like The Joker!"

Very dark with additional details on the James Bond back story ... and a character in an earlier movie reappears.

Ebert gave it 4 stars and said it may be the best Bond ever made.

Edited by muck

• 2 weeks later...