[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sean Payton a free agent

stevegrab

As dicussed during of some of yesterday's pre game shows and in the huddle news, apaprently a clause in Payton's contract extension with the Saints was used and his contract will be up after this season, making him a free agent for 2013.

So how much do the Saints do to keep him? And how many other teams offer him a boatload of money to be their coach.

i can also see him returning to Philly if Reid doesn't turn their season around.

I like this idea or the Chargers. Cowboys will never be until they draft a QB. At least with the Chargers or Eagles he inherits a team who is place to go deep into the playoffs with the right coaching. The Saints had their year but as you can see they have no discipline. No way just because you lose your head coach you start off 0-4, reminds me of the Colts but everyone knew they was tanking.

• 1 month later...

Now to see if the league accepts it and then allows his reinstatement.

I thought I would never hear that when talking about the NFL. I feel like I'm in a NBA/MLB forum and David Stern and Bud Selig are smoking a cigar deciding how they can screw this one up.

I like this idea or the Chargers. Cowboys will never be until they draft a QB. At least with the Chargers or Eagles he inherits a team who is place to go deep into the playoffs with the right coaching. The Saints had their year but as you can see they have no discipline. No way just because you lose your head coach you start off 0-4, reminds me of the Colts but everyone knew they was tanking.

I disagree, I'd take Cowboys roster over the Chargers & Eagles. Chargers offense is a mess. Eagles need a QB with little help available in the draft or free agency.

I disagree, I'd take Cowboys roster over the Chargers & Eagles. Chargers offense is a mess. Eagles need a QB with little help available in the draft or free agency.

I was gonna post something similar and ask what, exactly, is on the current roster that not only makes them a playoff team, but a team that can go deep. A mess is an understatement.

Well looking at my OP, there was some exaggeration as to how the season ended up. But from my point of view the Chargers had a "decent" when healthy running back with Matthews, 2 Good WR's and Phillip Rivers. Defense was shaky but that was about it, bad coaching by Turner led to their demise. The Eagles had Vick, McCoy & Desean Jackson a team that had just did well in 2010 which was quite successful and still had what some arguable (not I) think is a Top 5 CB in Nmandi.

Now to see if the league accepts it and then allows his reinstatement.

What is there to accept? Does the league usually have authority to overrule a contract being signed by players or coaches?

As far as reinstatement, I think so. The league will move on from the whole bou*** -gate issue, and focus on expanded playoffs, a team in London, getting somebdoy in LA etc.

I do wonder if the ruling on player suspensions had any bearing on this.

Congrats to the Saints on retaining a fine coach.

He's not going anywhere. Although it'd be awesome to see Jones sign him, just to watch rajn stroke out in front of our very eyes :lol:

This almost makes me want to root for the Foreskins tomorrow...almost, but not quite!

Not to see anyone stroke out, mind you, just to see Sean come back to Dallas ;)

I was gonna post something similar and ask what, exactly, is on the current roster that not only makes them a playoff team, but a team that can go deep. A mess is an understatement.

Taz. We are all disappointed at the last few years. I think you are being a little too harsh with thinking that the whole team is a mess. The D is young and talented, especially the front 7 plus Weddle at safety.

To me, this was AJ's fault. He thought he could build an o-line through player development and ignored the reality of what was happening. Nobody could have seen Dielman leave the game and Gaither worked the Bolts for a payday, leaving River's blind side too weak to give him time to work his progressions.

If there is a quick fix out there to a poor o-line (Which there isn't), then this team can be a playoff team. It wasn't long ago that Rivers threw for 4000 yards to an injury plagued WR corps (including Gates) and a bunch of scrubs like Seyji Ajiritutu (sp ? Remember his big game against the Texans?). The big difference is that Rivers had time to throw. I think he was sacked the most out of any QB this year.

I agree that both Norv and AJ are done in SD, but I put this horrible season squarely on AJ!

Taz. We are all disappointed at the last few years. I think you are being a little too harsh with thinking that the whole team is a mess. The D is young and talented, especially the front 7 plus Weddle at safety.

To me, this was AJ's fault. He thought he could build an o-line through player development and ignored the reality of what was happening. Nobody could have seen Dielman leave the game and Gaither worked the Bolts for a payday, leaving River's blind side too weak to give him time to work his progressions.

If there is a quick fix out there to a poor o-line (Which there isn't), then this team can be a playoff team. It wasn't long ago that Rivers threw for 4000 yards to an injury plagued WR corps (including Gates) and a bunch of scrubs like Seyji Ajiritutu (sp ? Remember his big game against the Texans?). The big difference is that Rivers had time to throw. I think he was sacked the most out of any QB this year.

I agree that both Norv and AJ are done in SD, but I put this horrible season squarely on AJ!

Maybe so, but lets not forget who is in our division now. I don't see us beating the Broncos for the division title in the next 2-3 years so the only way we get into the playoffs is via a wild card. The Donkies have a superior young team led by you know who. And yes, AJ has drafted poorly, bringing in aging vets in hopes of bandaiding a glaring problem on the OL. Luckily, this draft is loaded at the OL position in what is perhaps the deepest and most talented at the position in years. Lets hope they don't flub this one up and draft wisely.

As far as Rivers goes, I can honestly say I think he has 3-4 years of elite production left (if we can get him the protection) and then its time to start thinking about doing this all over again. Weddle is the saving grace in our secondary. Besides him, who else do we have? Jammer? He's 33 and a FA next year. Gates is on the wrong side of a spectacular career and Mathews has proven to be fumble prone and brittle. So when I say this team is a mess, well, it is...from the front office down. Is it fixable? I sure the hell hope so. I pray that Spanos will open the wallet in light of the horrible decisions at FA that AJ Smith has made (on both sides of the equation ... Sproles,V-Jax etc etc). And the Cards allowed the most sacks with 57 but we were not far behind at #3 with 47 sacks allowed. We were #2 in the worst rushing team in the league, rushing for a whopping 1,391 yds...second only to the pathetic Cards rushing machine.

We have a nice young defense but it needs help (secondary) and the rumors are starting to catch speed with the possibility of Andy Reid coming to coach the Bolts. I am warming up to that as each day passes.

Edited by tazinib1

We have a nice young defense but it needs help (secondary) and the rumors are starting to catch speed with the possibility of Andy Reid coming to coach the Bolts. I am warming up to that as each day passes.

I guess I am ambivilent to Reid. Another retread, but at least one with a history of success. I have not followed the Eagles enough the last two years to know why they have had the meltdown that is going on there.

I guess my problem is that I long for a Bobby Ross type coach. I want to see some smashmouth attitude as well and don't know if Reid brings that back to SD. It will be hard to be a smashmouth offense even after a (hopeful) solid draft of o-line and a FA pickup. It will take a year for the rooks to "get it". I still think o-line is behind the QB, the hardest position mentally. There is also a comfort level that needs to be built. LT would not be the RB he was without that line he had locking for him. They were almost always a top 5 rated line during his best production.

I still see that as the glaring hole to future success. Do you think he would keep Pagano? Why are you warming up to him?

I'm praying for Mathews out of A&M to fall to the Chargers. If available and they skip him... Go Texans!

Edited by McBoog