[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tablets - For Kids

Scooby's Hubby

I would like to get my 7 year old a tablet for XMas. It needs to have WiFi, some pre-loaded apps and fun stuff for his age. I have begun to read consumer reviews and it seems like many of these made for kids are "junk" and have problems.

Has anyone bought one for their child and/or have any helpful reviews? Please advise - TIA.

The leapPad had decent reviews and plays all of the leapster games. IIRC, a lot of the games are targeted for the 6-9 year old range.

My kids just use our IPads occassionally when we let them have "screen" time. My oldest (just turned 8) saved all of his Christmas and birthday money for a year, asking for money/gift cards for his birthday rather than toys so that he could have enough to get an Ipod Touch. We let him buy it with his own money but it has the same screen time limitations that we put on the IPad, TV and video games for the kids. Obviously a lot smaller screen, but having him pay for it himself has certainly put a change in the way he treats the stuff. That;s one thing that has never been lost, unlike most of the other toys.

Our 4 y.o. has a kindle fire. Cheaper than an ipad and does all the things he needs

Does the Fire have an internet browser? The Fire sounds like a good angle ...

The leapPad had decent reviews and plays all of the leapster games. IIRC, a lot of the games are targeted for the 6-9 year old range.

My kids just use our IPads occassionally when we let them have "screen" time. My oldest (just turned 8) saved all of his Christmas and birthday money for a year, asking for money/gift cards for his birthday rather than toys so that he could have enough to get an Ipod Touch. We let him buy it with his own money but it has the same screen time limitations that we put on the IPad, TV and video games for the kids. Obviously a lot smaller screen, but having him pay for it himself has certainly put a change in the way he treats the stuff. That;s one thing that has never been lost, unlike most of the other toys.

Sounds like my kid needs to auction off some of his legos :okay: to raise a little capital

yup, Fire has an internet browser. I've never used it but my wife does. You may need to lock out the ability to purchase apps. He has already downloaded books so I think my wife locked it so he can only download free stuff.

• 4 weeks later...