[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

dog coughing on exertion

frenzal rhomb

my six year old portugeuse water dog has recently started to cough on exertion - not much, one or two hacks and then a gagging like cough like a hairball and then done. I have googled this and read all the horror stories about heart disease and tracheal collapse

He also has recently had some green goop in his eyes and drops have resolved this.

He hasnt lost weight and looks otherwise healthy. I have burned alot of leaves lately and he has a new buddy - we have a new puppy and they do a ton of wrestling. This puppy goes to puppy daycare and obedience where he is among other dogs but this place is very strict about verifying shots etc

He seems happy and otherwise content, good appetite etc.

Anyone think this is more than a common coldkennel cough, etc or is a trip to vet ASAP warranted ??

My dog gets heartworm and frontine regularly as well and has had the bordetella shots, canine inluenza etc and just had his annual physical last month and came up clean.

Edited by frenzal rhomb

my six year old portugeuse water dog has recently started to cough on exertion - not much, one or two hacks and then a gagging like cough like a hairball and then done. I have googled this and read all the horror stories about heart disease and tracheal collapse

He also has recently had some green goop in his eyes and drops have resolved this.

He hasnt lost weight and looks otherwise healthy. I have burned alot of leaves lately and he has a new buddy - we have a new puppy and they do a ton of wrestling. This puppy goes to puppy daycare and obedience where he is among other dogs but this place is very strict about verifying shots etc

He seems happy and otherwise content, good appetite etc.

Anyone think this is more than a common coldkennel cough, etc or is a trip to vet ASAP warranted ??

My dog gets heartworm and frontine regularly as well and has had the bordetella shots, canine inluenza etc and just had his annual physical last month and came up clean.

Based on the green goop, this could be allergies. See if benedryl helps. For a PWD, you can give one 25 mg pill and be safe.

My concern is this is happening after exertion which could be heart related.

My dog has a rare disease called lymphangiectasia which started out as a cough similar to what you are describing. Then it lead to weight loss and diarrhea. The cough was though to be caused by fluid build up around the heart and lungs which was the case, but they drained the fluid. The thing is she still has the cough, and the vets assume it is because the disease affected her heart. We won't unless we do an ECG. The thing is she has had this cough for two years and is 11 1/2 with no decline in health. She doesn't ever cough after exertion, it is more when just hanging and resting. BTW, this is rare but a genetic disease that is turning up in PWDs. If he starts to get diarrhea or is bloated, but losing weight, have a vet do blood tests to check protein levels and ALB. 90% of the vets out there don't know what this is. It usually takes a GP vet sending the patient to an astute vet internist to properly diagnose. If you know low protein, low cholestrol, and elevated ALB is a red flag (which many vets don't know), then you are on your way.

This is a stretch that your dog has this, but good to know. Most dogs die of this disease because it is diagnosed too late or not at all. BTW, my dog didn't lose weight because she was carrying weight as fluid. It was when we drained the fluid that we discovered she had actually lost 13 pounds.

Based on the green goop, this could be allergies. See if benedryl helps. For a PWD, you can give one 25 mg pill and be safe.

My concern is this is happening after exertion which could be heart related.

My dog has a rare disease called lymphangiectasia which started out as a cough similar to what you are describing. Then it lead to weight loss and diarrhea. The cough was though to be caused by fluid build up around the heart and lungs which was the case, but they drained the fluid. The thing is she still has the cough, and the vets assume it is because the disease affected her heart. We won't unless we do an ECG. The thing is she has had this cough for two years and is 11 1/2 with no decline in health. She doesn't ever cough after exertion, it is more when just hanging and resting. BTW, this is rare but a genetic disease that is turning up in PWDs. If he starts to get diarrhea or is bloated, but losing weight, have a vet do blood tests to check protein levels and ALB. 90% of the vets out there don't know what this is. It usually takes a GP vet sending the patient to an astute vet internist to properly diagnose. If you know low protein, low cholestrol, and elevated ALB is a red flag (which many vets don't know), then you are on your way.

This is a stretch that your dog has this, but good to know. Most dogs die of this disease because it is diagnosed too late or not at all. BTW, my dog didn't lose weight because she was carrying weight as fluid. It was when we drained the fluid that we discovered she had actually lost 13 pounds.

good info - I would also like to point out that my dog is a rescue and the reason he is a rescue is becasue he was in a lab at the university of Penn. He is a carrier of the canine cardiomyopathy gene. Hes not supposed to get it but he would pass it along.

Does this change your opinion at all?

good info - I would also like to point out that my dog is a rescue and the reason he is a rescue is becasue he was in a lab at the university of Penn. He is a carrier of the canine cardiomyopathy gene. Hes not supposed to get it but he would pass it along.

Does this change your opinion at all?

I am confused that he is a carrier but not supposed to get it? If there is heart disease in his line, I would get it checked out.

I am confused that he is a carrier but not supposed to get it? If there is heart disease in his line, I would get it checked out.

Well it was my understanding that he is a carrier of the gene but would not develop the condition. Im no scientist but its my understanding that its a recessive gene in my dog and he wasnt likely to develop it genetically but his offspring would develop it

I am not a canine geneticist either.

If it is heart disease, waiting a week or so to see if symptoms subside may not put him in danger. If he is panting a lot and lethargic, maybe so.

Is he sneezing? Does he have a runny nose? Both hard to gauge unless paying attention. Sneezing goes easily unnoticed and when dogs have a running nose they quickly wipe with their tongue. If so,this could then be due to a "doggy flu" and dogs get flu strains like we do. With kennel cough, not all strains are immunized by the bordatella vaccine, only the common strains. Or it could be allergies.

When he sneezes, if he coughs immediately after, this could be a sign of heart disease. Same goes for people.

My biggest concern is this is happening only after exertion.

Hope it's nothing. BTW, this isn't happening while being walked on a choke chain is it?

Nope hes a great loose leash walker so I dont use a choke collar on him at all- typically when we play frisbee is what precipitates the cough.

He didint do it this morning

Edited by frenzal rhomb

I do hope this is nothing.

Thanks for all of your help - Ive been though a lot with this dog - he was a rescue and then about a year and a half ago he was attacked by a Mastiff while I was walking him and nearly killed.

He coughed a little this morning while we were playing frisbee but we have had some snow and cold weather but it stops soon after we stop and he has norecovery time issues.

Is he starting to develop a hoarse bark? If so, it could be early stages of Laryngeal Paralysis, which would have a better prognosis than heart problems.

No I wish he had a hoarse bark though (just kidding). He got that nice loud PWD howling bark. Im pretty sure he's fine after this mornings romp. Maybe just a passing cold - I do appreciate all of your hep and insight