[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Christmas Side Dishes

Scorcher

Puréed Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger, topped with crab meat

Either chicken or vegetable broth can be used in this recipe.

INGREDIENTS

• 2tablespoons unsalted butter , or the same amount of vegetable or olive oil

• 1medium onion , 3 medium shallots or 1 medium leek (white and light green parts only), chopped

• 2tablespoons dry sherry or white wine

• 1butternut squash , medium (about 2 1/2 pounds), halved, seeded, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 5 cups) (we usually buy pre-cut stuff from trader joe's that cuts down prep time considerably)

• 2cups low-sodium chicken broth or low-sodium vegetable broth

• 1teaspoon table salt

• Ground white pepper

• 1teaspoon ground ginger

• 3/4 - 1cup whole milk

• 2teaspoons minced fresh chives or minced parsley

INSTRUCTIONS

1. 1. Heat butter or oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add sherry and squash; stir-cook until sherry evaporates, about 30 seconds.

2. 2. Add stock, salt, pepper to taste, and ginger to saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer; cover and cook until squash is tender, about 15 minutes.

3. 3. Ladle squash mixture into blender. Add 3/4 cup milk; blend until very smooth. Return soup to saucepan; cook over low heat until warmed through. If soup is too thick, stir in additional milk to thin consistency. Adjust seasonings. (Soup can be refrigerated for 3 days and reheated just before serving.)

4. 4. Ladle soup into individual bowls. Top with lump crab meat and serve.

brussel sprouts with bacon, caramelized onions and apples....with a sherry vinaigrette.

vinaigrette:

8 1/2 fl. oz. canola oil

6 fl. oz. evoo

3 1/2 fl. oz. sherry vin

2 tbs. dijon

s&p

sprouts:

2 lb. brussel sprouts, halved lengthwise

8 oz. bacon, cut into 1inch pieces

1 yellow onion, julienned

2 tbs. unsalted butter

2 gr apples, peeled and sliced

3 thyme sprigs

pepper, to taste

in a blender, combine the canola oil, olive oil, vinegar and mustard and blend until fully incorporated. Season with salt and pepper. set the vinaigrette aside.

fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Salt the water so it tastes like seawater. fill a large bowl or casserole dish with equal amounts of cold water and ice to create an ice bath.

add the brussel sprouts to the boiling water and cook until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. don't cook too long or they will lose their bright green color. remove the brussel sprouts from the water and shock them in the ice bath to stop the cooking. let the brussel sprouts stand in the ice bath until cool, then remove them and set aside.

in a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add bacon and cook until the fat renders and the bacon crisps (about 7 min). add the onion to the pan and cook until softened (about 5 min). add butter and let it melt, then add the apples and thyme sprigs. toss to coat and cook for 1 to 2 min. add the brussel sprouts and season with salt and pepper. cook, stirring occasionally, until the sprouts are golden brown (8 - 10 minutes). remove the thyme sprigs and discard.

drizzle half of the vinaigrette over the brussel sprouts and toss to coat. transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately. pass the remaining vinaigrette alongside. Serves about 4 - 6.

mmm.. I enjoy brussel sprouts but rarely have done anything but steam or boil them and serve - have seen similar recipes so will plan to leverage this next time I do sprouts -- too bad, or maybe fortunately, the rest of the family doesn't care for them, so always plenty for me.

brussel sprouts with bacon, caramelized onions and apples....with a sherry vinaigrette.

vinaigrette:

8 1/2 fl. oz. canola oil

6 fl. oz. evoo

3 1/2 fl. oz. sherry vin

2 tbs. dijon

s&p

sprouts:

2 lb. brussel sprouts, halved lengthwise

8 oz. bacon, cut into 1inch pieces

1 yellow onion, julienned

2 tbs. unsalted butter

2 gr apples, peeled and sliced

3 thyme sprigs

pepper, to taste

in a blender, combine the canola oil, olive oil, vinegar and mustard and blend until fully incorporated. Season with salt and pepper. set the vinaigrette aside.

fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Salt the water so it tastes like seawater. fill a large bowl or casserole dish with equal amounts of cold water and ice to create an ice bath.

add the brussel sprouts to the boiling water and cook until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. don't cook too long or they will lose their bright green color. remove the brussel sprouts from the water and shock them in the ice bath to stop the cooking. let the brussel sprouts stand in the ice bath until cool, then remove them and set aside.

in a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add bacon and cook until the fat renders and the bacon crisps (about 7 min). add the onion to the pan and cook until softened (about 5 min). add butter and let it melt, then add the apples and thyme sprigs. toss to coat and cook for 1 to 2 min. add the brussel sprouts and season with salt and pepper. cook, stirring occasionally, until the sprouts are golden brown (8 - 10 minutes). remove the thyme sprigs and discard.

drizzle half of the vinaigrette over the brussel sprouts and toss to coat. transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately. pass the remaining vinaigrette alongside. Serves about 4 - 6.

I was going to post something very similar. :lol:

• 9 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I need to try some good home made fried Brussel sprouts, I had some once in a chain restaurant and they were not very good. I love them normally. 

One of my favorite side dishes is a cucumber salad my mom used to make growing up. Some years ago I started making it for my sister's Christmas dinner as it was a favorite of all those in our family (including her husband and kids) who attended. Its a lot of work, and makes a huge batch, but something I enjoy every year. If anybody is curious quote this so I'll see it and I'll follow up with the recipe (basics are cucumber, sour cream, vinegar, onions).

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

I need to try some good home made fried Brussel sprouts, I had some once in a chain restaurant and they were not very good. I love them normally. 

One of my favorite side dishes is a cucumber salad my mom used to make growing up. Some years ago I started making it for my sister's Christmas dinner as it was a favorite of all those in our family (including her husband and kids) who attended. Its a lot of work, and makes a huge batch, but something I enjoy every year. If anybody is curious quote this so I'll see it and I'll follow up with the recipe (basics are cucumber, sour cream, vinegar, onions).

We do something similar, just without the sour cream. Add black pepper & halved cherry or grape tomatoes.

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Steve, I can send you a great easy recipe for brussel sprouts. They aren't fried, you bake them with a few simple ingredients but they are delicious and the recipe couldn't be easier. They come out crispy. 

3 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

We do something similar, just without the sour cream. Add black pepper & halved cherry or grape tomatoes.

That's a totally different thing without the sour cream, mine is big on black pepper, only other spice is a bit of salt. (You slice and salt the cucumbers, then squeeze a couple times to get some water out, giving the other ingredients space to fill). I've had versions that were closer, but used dill or were sweat, or with red onions, just looks odd.

Another cucumber based salad I like is from my mom, add sliced tomatoes and onions, add a little salt & pepper, and let it sit. 

3 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Steve, I can send you a great easy recipe for brussel sprouts. They aren't fried, you bake them with a few simple ingredients but they are delicious and the recipe couldn't be easier. They come out crispy. 

Feel free to post here or send it in a PM. I'm starting to try and cook more, hard for a bachelor since there's always tons of left overs and some things just don't last. I visited my brother (also single) on the weekend, he did a big crock pot of spaghetti sauce, after we ate dinner he said "you got to take some home, there's going to be a lot left. (Good for me, that's at least 2 meals just add pasta and a salad.)

Dang it now I'm getting hungry.....

24 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Looks good, only thing I don't usually have is olive oil, don't do a lot of cooking and usually use vegetable oil for things like that. (But I know olive oil is better, my brother has also been getting me to use butter sometimes instead of oil.) 

Also good to see it allows use of frozen veggies, I am more prone to that but have prepared them from raw.

Just now, stevegrab said:

Looks good, only thing I don't usually have is olive oil, don't do a lot of cooking and usually use vegetable oil for things like that. (But I know olive oil is better, my brother has also been getting me to use butter sometimes instead of oil.) 

Also good to see it allows use of frozen veggies, I am more prone to that but have prepared them from raw.

Yeah, definitely don't use vegetable oil with them. :lol:

4 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Definitely use fresh brussel sprouts, you won't be disappointed