[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Head coaching candidates...

keggerz

Here are many of the names that are being bandied about as possible replacements for the departed 2012 head coaches

(alphabetical order)

Bruce Arians

Gus Bradley

Vic Fangio

Perry Fewel

John Gruden

Jay Gruden

Ray Horton

Chip Kelly

Dirk Koetter

Mike McCoy

Josh McDaniels

Bill O'Brien

Mark Roman

Rob Ryan

Brian Schotenheimer(sp?)

Kyle Shanahan

Steve Spagnuolo

Mike Zimmer

Andy Reid & Lovie Smith (don't be surprised to see these guys immediately land back on their feet)

I am sure that I am forgetting about one of more big names and will add them if I realize who I ommited

Edited by keggerz

I think McCoy and Jay Gruden are the best names on that list.

I like both a lot and think each will end up being the type of hire a fan base wasn't expecting but ends up happy with...people may not remember this but Phily fans weren't happy when Laurie hired Andy Reid who prior that hiring had never been more than a QB coach.

Rob Ryan and Spaganolo?

Added them but part of me wonders how much Rex's failures will work against Rob...and Spags might be a tough sell with how poor the NO defense was this year.

Another candidate very well could be Wade Phillips, but he is so much better suited as a DC

I'd prefer somebody with head coaching experience at some level, I think that was part of Shurmur's problems, along with trying to be OC as well as HC, and the whole lockout situation to start 2011. Shurmur probably goes back to being an OC (rumors of him going to MIN).

Don't know much about the college guys or some of the assistants, but if we keep Jauron as DC, then Arians as HC and for the offensive side of the ball, could be good. Please not McDaniels, anybody but him.

His name seems to pop up more among fans...still he could be a dark horse in KC and/or Car if they show rIvera the door.

No way. He's held out this long, there's no way he'd take a lower-profile job like KC or CAR. He's waiting for something big; otherwise he's comfy in his analyst's chair.

No way. He's held out this long, there's no way he'd take a lower-profile job like KC or CAR. He's waiting for something big; otherwise he's comfy in his analyst's chair.

both those gigs could include complete control ....wait, can't remember, did Car hire a GM yet?

Edit: but I do agree he is comfy with his current gig and don't expect him to coach,but wouldn't be shocked if he did

Edited by keggerz

both those gigs could include complete control ....wait, can't remember, did Car hire a GM yet?

If so, there's an outside shot -- with KC probably being the most attractive. They wholly underachieved this season (as evidenced by the "more Pro Bowlers than wins" stat) and have the 1st pick in the draft.

Edited by darin3

He has connections to both those teams/ areas and the rumor was he wanted to stay close to his home which is in NC. Not sure which "big" spot he's holding out for. Half the league has fired coaches since he retired. I think he stays retired

He has connections to both those teams/ areas and the rumor was he wanted to stay close to his home which is in NC. Not sure which "big" spot he's holding out for. Half the league has fired coaches since he retired. I think he stays retired

"Big"ger than the Chiefs or Panthers. Cowboys?

But, if he is given complete control over one of those teams... well then, maybe.

I agree with you, though. I think he stays retired, at least for now.

"Big"ger than the Chiefs or Panthers. Cowboys?

But, if he is given complete control over one of those teams... well then, maybe.

I agree with you, though. I think he stays retired, at least for now.

He was available when Garret was hired. Maybe he is smart enough to not want to work for JJ?

Rotoworld

The Chicago Tribune reports Jon Gruden is now "leaning hard" toward staying at ESPN, and "turning down coaching feelers."

Consider it the latest episode of As the Gruden Turns. Gruden is subject to more rumors and innuendo than Lindsay Lohan, but has never truly come close to leaving ESPN since he was hired in 2009. This could just be a leverage ploy, but if Gruden has turned down coaching overtures three years running, what's a fourth? At this point, we wouldn't consider him likely to abandon Mike Tirico.

Source: Dan Pompei on Twitter

Dec 31 - 3:48 PM