[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Head coaching candidates...

keggerz

I could see Arians land in San Diego and maintain the relationship with the Pagano Bothers. I just see this as making sense! No need to fire Pagano as I see continuity and the improvement worth holding on to. Arians is friends with both, and I can see him being rewarded for his excellent job standing in for the older brother...

Still not a walrus fan.

I could see Arians land in San Diego and maintain the relationship with the Pagano Bothers. I just see this as making sense! No need to fire Pagano as I see continuity and the improvement worth holding on to. Arians is friends with both, and I can see him being rewarded for his excellent job standing in for the older brother...

Still not a walrus fan.

We can forget about the Walrus coming to SD. They have already stated they have no interest. I'm still holding out for Chucky.

Rotoworld

The Chicago Tribune reports Jon Gruden is now "leaning hard" toward staying at ESPN, and "turning down coaching feelers."

Consider it the latest episode of As the Gruden Turns. Gruden is subject to more rumors and innuendo than Lindsay Lohan, but has never truly come close to leaving ESPN since he was hired in 2009. This could just be a leverage ploy, but if Gruden has turned down coaching overtures three years running, what's a fourth? At this point, we wouldn't consider him likely to abandon Mike Tirico.

Source: Dan Pompei on Twitter

Dec 31 - 3:48 PM

:lol:

They had to bring up my girl Lindsey Lohan?? really??? :lol: Poor Lindsey.

So much for Chucky in SD.

Strong candidates linked to SD are Arians and Whisenhunt.

BTW: The Chargers have hired former Packer GM Ron Wolfe as a consultant in the HC search.

Ten minutes after my Arians take, I see this on NFL.com. This is really attractive to me and I would love to see it happen.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-diego-chargers/0ap2000000120560/Arians-to-San-Diego

Agreed. He did a fantastic job while Chuck Pagano was recovering. I'm warming up to the idea of him coming to SD as well.

Think Arians would be a good fit in SD along with Pagano retaining control of the D. Interesting to see that about Ron Wolfe coming in to help with the coach search. I recall he had some sort of consulting role with the Browns about 5 years ago, before Holmgren came in.

Will keep my ears/eyes open and post any info I see regarding the Browns job. I have a feeling they end up with the leftovers late, or some relative unknown (no NFL and/or HC experience).

ETA Rumor here is its Saban's job if he wants it, if not Chip Kelly (Oregon) or Josh McDaniels (YUK) could be the leading candidates. Thankfully a story I read says that Mcchiveshead has been telling teams that are expressing an interest that he will be staying put (per Adam Schefter)

Edited by stevegrab

Gruden has officially been tied to a Chargers interview.

John that is.

That is precisely where I thought he would wind up weeks ago.

Edit, guess I should have read the rest of the post before commenting. :-)

Edited by Hat Trick

I heard/read somewhere that Saban will not be interested in the NFL at this time (although we heard the same thing before he was hired as the Dolphins HC.

Browns have apparently interviewed ARZ DC Ray Horton which would satisfy the Rooney rule to interview minorities. Banner remaned in AZ causing speculation that he'll try to interview Oregon coach Chip Kelly after the Fiesta Bowl.

Also the Browns have stated they will hire a HC first, then a personnel executive (GM?) that compliments them.

The article I read said the Eagles and Bills are also going to be interviewing Kelly. Browns will look at PSU coach Bill O'Brien

article with more info http://www.ohio.com/...-kelly-1.361877

Hmm, not sure if this is reliable at all, but found this link in one of the comments on the above story, saying that Kelly to CLE is a done deal (I don't believe it)

http://www.ficksitall.blogspot.com/

Edited by stevegrab

Add Falcons DC Mike Nolan and special teams coach Neil Armstrong to the list.

Also the director of player personnel has an interview too (ETA: with Jacksonville for GM job)

Can now scratch Koeter off the list as Falcons extended him, but I wasn't so concerned about him leaving like Nolan. Will be devastated if he takes his talents elsewhere after he's done such an incredible job getting 100% out of a lot of "average" talents.

Heard that he's not interested in head-coaching, but is still set to interview Philly (who was coming down to interview Koeter). Back up the Brinks truck Blank!

Edited by delusions of grandeur

The more I read up on Bruce Arians, the more I hope he becomes our next HC.

At the end of the college football season in 1988, Arians was hired in the NFL as a running backs coach for the Kansas City Chiefs. It was during this time with the Chiefs that he worked with the coach who brought him to the Pittsburgh Steelers, Bill Cowher. He also spent one season as the tight ends coach of the New Orleans Saints. Following this stint was when he made a name for himself when he got the job as the quarterbacks coach of the Indianapolis Colts. He was the first quarterback coach of Peyton Manning when he arrived in the NFL. Afterward, he was hired as offensive coordinator (2001-2003) for the Cleveland Browns under Butch Davis. In 2002 he helped the Browns finish 9-7 (2nd in the newly aligned AFC North) and to a wild card playoff berth where they lost to the Steelers (36-33) in the first round. It was during his tenure with the Browns that he first worked with Chuck Pagano who served as the Browns secondary coach from 2001 to 2004. After the 2003 season he was hired as the Steelers wide receivers coach and in 2007 was promoted to offensive coordinator of the Steelers, a position he held until his contract expired after the 2011 season. On January 28, 2012, Arians agreed to become the offensive coordinator of the Indianapolis Colts, replacing Clyde Christensen. On October 1, 2012, Arians was named the interim head coach of the Colts following coach Chuck Pagano's leukemia diagnosis. Arians led the Colts to a 9-3 record, part of one of the biggest one-season turnarounds in NFL history. After winning only two games in 2011, the Colts returned to the playoffs. Pagano returned to the Colts as head coach on December 24, 2012, with Arians returning to his role as offensive coordinator.

Arians began his coaching career in 1975 as a graduate assistant at Virginia Tech. Arians then held an assistant coaching position at Mississippi State University (running backs and wide receivers) from 1978-80 before heading to the University of Alabama to coach the running backs from 1981-82 under Paul "Bear" Bryant.

Tack on what he did with the Colts this year and its a slam dunk. That is a very impressive resume.

The article I read said the Eagles and Bills are also going to be interviewing Kelly. Browns will look at PSU coach Bill O'Brien

article with more info http://www.ohio.com/...-kelly-1.361877

O'Brien has a 9 million dollar buy-out so he supposedly isn't going any where soon

from your link

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reported that when O’Brien accepted the Penn State job, school officials told him the Sandusky scandal was a criminal matter, not an NCAA issue. However, Penn State received a four-year bowl ban and scholarship reductions. It could cost $9.2 million to buy out O’Brien’s contract, Mortensen reported.
Edited by Zooty

O'Brien has a 9 million dollar buy-out so he supposedly isn't going any where soon

from your link

Yep, and I read something further that since they misled him when they hired him, they might allow a cheaper buy out of the contract if he wants to leave, rather than deal with another PR mess (how they lied to him when they hired him).

Add Saints OC Pete Carmichael Jr. to the list who just interviewed for the Bears HC job.

Wow, Phil Emery is serious about landing a guy who knows offense. :pickle:

It's about time the Bears stepped into the 21st century NFL.

Now ESPN is saying Reid is on the verge of becoming the next Chiefs HC.

CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora confirms that a deal between Andy Ried and the Chiefs is "now imminent" and could be finalized by Thursday night.

Contrary to a previous report, LaCanfora adds that Reid will not be interviewing with the Cardinals or Chargers before accepting Kansas City's offer. Issues involving Reid's staff and the power structure on football decisions were "hashed out" with the Chiefs on Thursday. Reid is expected to bring ex-Browns GM Tom Heckert with him, which would leave Scott Pioli's future up in the air.

Reading the latest that Taz posted about Reid, it makes you really wonder who in KC is making the decision to hire Reid. If he brings in Heckert, what does that mean for Pioli?

Still kind of surprised that Reid is willing to pretty much start over with rebuilding the Chiefs, instead of AZ or SD which need fewer changes to be competitive (IMHO).