[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

AC air duct cleaning

rajncajn

We've been in our house for several years and have never had it done, even after Katrina. More & more our alergies are beginning to bother us in the house, especially my youngest. Part of it I think is the carpet and part I know is the dog. The carpet we are planing to replace with laminate this year which will also help with the dog allergies. However, we've also wondered if there may just be a lot of contaminates in our ductwork as well. The heat pump unit was replaced after Katrina and we clean/replace the filters, internal & external, regularly. So I know that shouldn't be an issue. Any of you ever have this done & about what did it cost? I also wonder if it wouldn't be much of a price difference if I just replaced the ductwork. My house is only 1200 sq ft and about a 1/3 of that has no ductwork due to a vaulted ceiling.

Replacing your ductwork will cost WAY more than cleaning it.

In most cases, duct cleaning can be a scam, especially if you are hiring the fly by night guys who charge you $49, or $99 or whatever. My house is 45 years old, probably has never had the ductwork cleaned, and I'll never get it cleaned.

However, if I were in a brand new house, I would get them cleaned because I know what contractors throw down the open vents as they are building a house. You also could have drywall dust/sawdust in them, and with a brand new HVAC system running in those homes, I would spend the money to do it then. But after that, I wouldn't.

For your home that went through Katrina and all the remodel work to get it back in shape, I would consider it. I would look for a company that has done it for a long time in your area. Call a larger local HVAC company to see if they recommend somebody if they don't do it themselves. Expect to pay a few hundred dollars here. Don't hire the guy who gives you a coupon in Valpak.

Replacing your ductwork will cost WAY more than cleaning it.

In most cases, duct cleaning can be a scam, especially if you are hiring the fly by night guys who charge you $49, or $99 or whatever. My house is 45 years old, probably has never had the ductwork cleaned, and I'll never get it cleaned.

However, if I were in a brand new house, I would get them cleaned because I know what contractors throw down the open vents as they are building a house. You also could have drywall dust/sawdust in them, and with a brand new HVAC system running in those homes, I would spend the money to do it then. But after that, I wouldn't.

For your home that went through Katrina and all the remodel work to get it back in shape, I would consider it. I would look for a company that has done it for a long time in your area. Call a larger local HVAC company to see if they recommend somebody if they don't do it themselves. Expect to pay a few hundred dollars here. Don't hire the guy who gives you a coupon in Valpak.

Thanks for the info CD. I'll look into it and see if I can get some prices. I know that there is a New Orleans company that advertises here locally, but I'm thinking if there is a local HVAC place that does it then I'll come off a bit cheaper.