[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

friends wife has breast cancer

frenzal rhomb

My friends wife - actually shes a friend too, has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Had the port installed this week already and starts chemo next week for a few cycles then surgery. Based on her family history, she will likely be facing a double mastectomy and hysterectomy.

My wife and I have offered to take her to appointments to help out with time off of work issues and we made a couple of meals for them that they can defrost and heat up on days when time is a factor.

Other than be there, is there anything else we should/could be doing to make this process easier for them?

Not asking for prayers or sympathy, but drawing on the experience of people who have been through this.

While I've lost family from cancer, recently my best friends mom, I don't have a lot of advice to offer. I did want to say though that they are lucky to have such good friends and what you are doing now probably means a ton to them.

Edited by rajncajn

One thing that is very difficult for emotional as well as the obvious reasons is changing the bandages after surgery while convalescing at home. The patient can't do it and maybe in the beginning she would appreciate the offer if your wife could help her with that.Sometimes but not always it is hard for a woman to have her husband assisst with the bandages in the very beginning. Visiting and being there just to be there as opposed to being there for a task means a lot as well. God bless you guys are great friends.

Edited by Scorcher

about 2-3 years ago 2 good female friends of mine got breast cancer. One went thru 3-4 weeks of radiation and she's been fine ever since. The other went thru 2 years of chemo! :shocking: She never missed a day of work :shocking::shocking: and is currently cancer free. Neither had a mastectomy. Best of luck to her. If they caught it early I believe the survival rate is very high.

Edited by rocknrobn26

My MIL got breast cancer over 10 years ago. My wife said the two hardest things were dealing with the unknown and chemo...by chemo she means how it made her mom always feel sick....this past yr she was diagnosed with breast cancer again..she had a double mastectomy and to be honest I was absolutely shocked at how well she dealt with everything... The surgery, chemo and the mental aspect of it all...

Best advice I can give is to be there for your friend to support her how ever she needs it, be it physically or mentally...just let her know she has people that are there for her.

wow - thanks guys, I appreciate the insight and the info about the bandages is interesting. Never thought aout that. They did catch it early but if she tests positive for a certain genetic, she will have the surgeries as preventitive mesures due to thelikelihood of getting it again.

Oddl enough shes most worried about her hair.