[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Money is tight & thought I had a way out , now told I don't !

MustOfBeenDrunk

Ok this is what's going on ,, things are tight right now financially , I'm sure many others are in the same boat.

So I was thinking , I have (9) weeks of vacation on the books , no way I can afford to take anytime off , even if I was to just sit around the house I would go thru more money then if I was working.

So I thought why not cash in some of my vacation time ? I won't miss it and I could use the extra cash. Well I was told that it wasn't legal to do that anymore.

I live in CA , anyone one have any insight if this is true or not ?

Don't have an answer to your question about cashing it in, but I'd still take the time off if you couldn't. Build a garden? Go backpacking? Hell, chill out and plow through a stack of books? Go fishing?

Maybe I'm easy to please, but I'd gladly waste a week or do doing nothing and love every minute of it.

Get a temp job for your 9 weeks?

This

Double dipping!

Not sure what the state of CA has to do with it but my company doesn't allow you to be paid for unused time. You just lose any once you get over 15 in the "bank"

This

Double dipping!

Not sure what the state of CA has to do with it but my company doesn't allow you to be paid for unused time. You just lose any once you get over 15 in the "bank"

CA is if not the most employee friendly state it's right there...I could be wrong but I believe that in the past at least if you terminated an employee you actually had to cut them a check for any time owed right then and there...CA payroll laws from what I understand are like no other

In CA they have to pay you for time not used if you quit or get fired (cash you out, basically), but there's no law that requires the employer to allow the employee to "cash in" vacation time not used (while still employed). On the other hand, CA law requires that the unused vacation roll over... In other words, you won't/can't lose it. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that the employer can't "cap" the vacation that you can earn/bank. So, just because you can't lose what you've earned doesn't mean you can stock up on vacation time indefinitely.

But, yeah, CA law is pretty much pro-employee across the board, and it can really tie the hands of the employer. When I worked there (for about 7 years), we had to suspend (with pay) any employee that was going to be fired, so that we could fire them with check in hand. Didn't matter what the situation was... Theft, workplace violence, etc. Dude gets in a fight at work, and gets sent home for a couple of days (paid) while corporate cuts his last check (suspension pay included).

Get a temp job for your 9 weeks?

Hell yes, If I had that kind of time I'd to Golfsmith, make some money, get their employee discount, and get all those goodies (range finder, new bag, etc) that I want, don't need, and just can't justify the expense of.

Don't have an answer to your question about cashing it in, but I'd still take the time off if you couldn't. Build a garden? Go backpacking? Hell, chill out and plow through a stack of books? Go fishing?

Maybe I'm easy to please, but I'd gladly waste a week or do doing nothing and love every minute of it.

All this sounds good in theory but staying at home usually ends up costing me twice what it does to just go to work.

When at home I'm under pressure to entertain the wife & kids in one way or another , heck I guess I put the pressure on myself because they never seem to ask for anything extra but I feel that a matinee movie , breakfast out at a minimum are due.

Even going fishing which I love to do cost , at least the way we do it , one day license , bait & tackle.

Now a part time job is something I have ever thought of :thinking:

As for my original question though , I was told by payroll that it was now not legal to cash in vacation time

It is something we had done in the past but that was when we did payroll in house.

We now outsource it , not sure if that comes into play or not as to why they don't want to do it.

But hey thanks for all the input ,, boards has been very slow and didn't know if I would even get a reply

Not sure about the legality of what you are asking, but my company installed a cap limit of 200 hours this year as well as a no-cash-out policy vs the 80 hour limit per year that we had. It's basically use it or lose it now. I plan on building back up to about 180 hours and keeping it there.

I worked as a baker for a few years and because it was in MD I had to belong to union. So, in a blue state and belonging to a union I used to take my vacation time but still work the weeks. Neither the union or safeway had issues or really cared I did it. It was a great way to get an injection of cash when i needed it. Try it.