[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Michigan left?

CaptainHook

Today, an intersection in Indianapolis debuted a traffic maneuver called the Michigan Left.

What the chives is that? I have not ever seen this before. You are no longer allowed to turn left at the intersection. Instead, you turn right, perform a U-turn and head the proper direction. Or, your proceed through the intersection, perform an U-turn and then turn right.

This is one of the busiest intersections in the state, with over 55,000 cars daily. I used to live very close to this intersection and it was a bitch to exit my apartment complex.

For the life of me, I cannot see how adding four U-turns is somehow better. I have not tried it yet, but they say they have these in Michigan and Atlanta. It sounds like the dumbest idea in the history of world. Right up there with the Chinese interstate with three lanes. The middle lane was for passing in both directions.

Anybody use these things and can enlighten me?

For Atlanta, they are building one in Cobb County, but i had not encountered another one around here. Apparently it causes less congestion on the main for a shorter red time with no left-turn phase, where the signals for the U-turning traffic are timed to coordinate with the intersection signals. The one i see being built has full access for the side road, but the option where you are also disallows that for the side road, again saving on time that would be used on that left-turn phase.

There is a reason it is called a "Michigan Left", and that is Michigan embrases it and it is rarely used anywhere else. And where it is used, they use other terms, such as a "J turn".

I remember seeing these in Michigan when I traveled there in the past, mostly in and around Detroit. Often on very large divided highway type roads, 4-6 lanes in each direction. I go to Michigan regularly now (3-4 times a year) to visit my brother west of Ann Arbor. I have not seen one of these in those areas though.

I think BJ hit it on the head as to how it is supposed to help. And aside from easing the congestion, you remove those dangerous left turns where people are crossing traffic that is moving. The spot where you perform your U-turn (to get back to make your right finishing the actual left turn) has traffic stopped so you are not crossing into their flow.

Now can somebody explain the flashing red lights used on left turn signals? I've seen these in PA before and swear I don't know if I should go, wait, or go really fast.

Now can somebody explain the flashing red lights used on left turn signals? I've seen these in PA before and swear I don't know if I should go, wait, or go really fast.

That is also unique to Michigan. You can turn left after making a stop and making sure no oncoming traffic is in the way.