[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL 2013 FAs

BeeR

He also told me that the Pats are looking at Josh Cribbs, not Danny Amendola to replace Welker. But Josh Cribbs has also been linked to Arizona..

That's what I'm hearing in NE Ohio as well. I don't see Cribbs as any sort of replacement for Welker. I excpect him to continue as mostly a special teamer and 4/5 WR wherever he goes. Not quite as bad as Taz says, but certainly not somebody who is going to be featured as a WR.

Anybody hear if NE is trying to sign Edelman? That year that Welker was hurt he sure seemed to fill in nicely. Maybe that is their plan.

Saw John Clayton on TV last night and he thinks Welker stays in NE, but tests FA options first to see what he is really worth, then goes back to NE for a contract.

Edited by stevegrab

Tom Brady must be royally ticked off right now.

Edit: Yup, he is.

http://profootballta...-wes-welker-go/

Or at least somebody (unidentified person) that is "close to Brady" or "in the Brady camp" is outraged. Another byproduct of twitter (both the character count and trying to be first). Tom Curran clarifies

"The enraged party in my previous tweet was someone close to Brady. Not Brady himself. Got no idea how he feels. But I bet I could guess."

If Tom Brady is mad, he should be mad at his team, for not even offering him a reasonable contract. Or matching what DEN offered. I hope it bites NE in the ass.

Or at least somebody (unidentified person) that is "close to Brady" or "in the Brady camp" is outraged. Another byproduct of twitter (both the character count and trying to be first). Tom Curran clarifies

"The enraged party in my previous tweet was someone close to Brady. Not Brady himself. Got no idea how he feels. But I bet I could guess."

If Tom Brady is mad, he should be mad at his team, for not even offering him a reasonable contract. Or matching what DEN offered. I hope it bites NE in the ass.

They did counter but at only $10m for 2yrs. He got $12m 2yrs from Denver.

Tom Brady must be royally ticked off right now.

Edit: Yup, he is.

http://profootballta...-wes-welker-go/

Tom E. Curran (@tomecurran) March 13, 2013

The enraged party in my previous tweet was someone close to Brady. Not Brady himself. Got no idea how he feels. But I bet I could guess.

I hate twatter.

• Like 1

I hate Wes Welker now. Of all the places he could go this was by far the worst.

Don't hate him, hate your front office. Dude's still in his prime and still one of the best slot WR's in the game. Why NE let him walk is mind boggling - he gave the Pats everything they asked him to give, except a hometown discount. Good for him on sticking to his guns!
  • Like 2

A little more on the Welker signing. The Patriots have been in talks with Danny Amendola since this weekend. I believe the tampering clock was lifted on Saturday afternoon so this makes sense as a contingency plan for losing Welker.

Don't hate him, hate your front office. Dude's still in his prime and still one of the best slot WR's in the game. Why NE let him walk is mind boggling - he gave the Pats everything they asked him to give, except a hometown discount. Good for him on sticking to his guns!

It is much easier to hate him and besides if he had gone to any other team I would have no problem with it.

News is dying down a tad. Still waiting on S.Jax confirmation and Jake Long in St.Louis. Guys that don't get signed this week hit the secondary market and $ will be FAR less. Just putting out there and there is no rumor or anything, but Brandon Stokely to the Colts makes a lot of sense.

Well this one is surprising: Suh will recon structure contract to help Lions with cap space. Shocker. Maybe he's starting to grow up.

Most resturctures end up not hurting the player in the least, more frequently they benefit in some way. Unless he's taking a cut, this doesn't correlate.

• Like 1

Most resturctures end up not hurting the player in the least, more frequently they benefit in some way. Unless he's taking a cut, this doesn't correlate.

Don't have the numbers on the reconstructure as of yet. I'll post when it becomes available. But at LEAST the dude is willing to help the team. Makes a strong statement to the locker room and fan base. I agree, he'll probably get more but I'm thinking its gonna be a backloaded deal and not guaranteed. Probably wrong though.

Don't have the numbers on the reconstructure as of yet. I'll post when it becomes available. But at LEAST the dude is willing to help the team. Makes a strong statement to the locker room and fan base. I agree, he'll probably get more but I'm thinking its gonna be a backloaded deal and not guaranteed. Probably wrong though.

Most restructures take the huge salary, which all hits this year's cap, and turn it into a "signing bonus" which can be spread out over the life of the contract. So it's going to be a big fat check, today, but the same overall dollars.

Example, he's due to make $12.15 million this year and X in the next two years. They sign him to a deal for $150k this year (it's rounder math for example) and the next two years unchanged, and give him a $12 million "signing bonus", which can be spread out over the remaining years. Poof, he gets $12 million today, only counts against the cap for a $4 million pro-rate instead of $12 million salary, and the Lions get $8 million of relief this year. The next two years are more painful, as they have $4 million more each on them, but they can burn that bridge later.