[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you could have the musical talent of just one person...

DMD

Who would it be? Not necessarily so you could embark on your own musical career, just because you think it would be fun and enjoyable to have the talent of one musician. Just for your own pleasure mostly.

Could be the pure singing voice of any number of artists. The guitar ability of Jimmy Hendrix. Play drums like John Bonham. Play the harmonica like John Popper.

For me - and I have no idea why since I play no instruments - it would be play the piano like Jerry Lee Lewis. That just has to be a blast.

Who would it be? Not necessarily so you could embark on your own musical career, just because you think it would be fun and enjoyable to have the talent of one musician. Just for your own pleasure mostly.

Could be the pure singing voice of any number of artists. The guitar ability of Jimmy Hendrix. Play drums like John Bonham. Play the harmonica like John Popper.

For me - and I have no idea why since I play no instruments - it would be play the piano like Jerry Lee Lewis. That just has to be a blast.

I like this list but would change the drummer to Buddy Rich ,,

As crazy as it sounds, Roy Clark.

Ever since I was a kid, wanted to learn how to fiddle. Took up violin and was kicked out of orchestra because all I wanted to do was play like a fiddle. True story. The fact that he plays guitar/banjo just rounds it out for me as well.

Tons of other choices, but I think for pure egocentric enjoyment, it would be Clark (or a contemporary).

Musical talents for personal, selfish enjoyment?

It'd probably have to be a vocalist ... you can sing ANYWHERE ... and, outside of the classical genre, I'm not sure there are many guys with a set of pipes any better than Robert Plant.

...but, as far as a guy playing an instrument, I'd want it to be an instrument you could take anywhere in the world or would be found pretty much anywhere in the world...so, piano, guitar or harmonica...

So ...

If piano, probably more of a classical approach ... not sure if they were enormously skilled keyboardists, but I'd bet that Mozart was more than proficient.

If guitar, probably a blues approach...maybe Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc...someone like that.

If harmonica, I'm not really familiar with anyone excellent outside of John Popper. :shrug:

It'd probably have to be a vocalist ... you can sing ANYWHERE ... and, outside of the classical genre, I'm not sure there are many guys with a set of pipes any better than Robert Plant.

If I were going for vocal talent, I'd go with Freddie Mercury.

[it'd probably have to be a vocalist ... you can sing ANYWHERE ... and, outside of the classical genre, I'm not sure there are many guys with a set of pipes any better than Robert Plant.

that man is the definition of caterwalling

Edited by frenzal rhomb

Ive been playing guitar for 25ish years now and this dude is just an absolutely once in a generation talent. I don't even want to pick up playing slide guitar the shish starts to happen at 4:09 and just builds and builds and builds!!!! WHOA! :shocking: Derek Trucks is the BOSS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ubH7dLJJiE

Edited by peteteacher2001

All kinds of great options, tough call. Piano is my fav instrument and someone like Chick Corea or Jeff Lorber is tempting (agree Lewis would be fun too), but there's something about being able to wail on a guitar that would be such fun, so I think I'd opt for Steve Morse (with a respectful nod to Pat Metheny). He's not only easily on the short list of best guitar players ever, but in the vein of DMD's post, would just be plain "fun" to play like.

Also a case for people who can play various things, which would really be great....and so Roy Clark is an excellent call and hardly crazy. Extremely talented and underrated IMO - be great to be able to play the guitar or violin with equal expertise. Similarly someone like Steve Winwood, Billy Joel (for the keys and singing chops) or Stevie Wonder (er old SW, not the newer constipated-sounding one) - hell, Sammy Davis Jr for that matter. Could sing, play drums (very well), vibes.....

Course Zamfir all rocks n stuff too. Tough call.

• 2 weeks later...