[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favorite Stout - Beer

devi0us

To me, nothing goes better with Football than some BBQ and a nice Stout during the colder Winter months...My 2 favorites hands down have to be:

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout

Firestone Walker Parabola

What tickles your taste buds?

Of course if you can get your hands on it, Founders KBS lives up to all the hype (just the Breakfast Stout itself is great), but I also love Terrapin Wake & Bake, Stone Russian Imperial (much easier to get your hands on), and I recently had Great Divide's Chocolate Yeti from their Yeti Imperial Stout series.

Man that was an amazing beer. Chocolatey on top of the delicious yeti base, but actually finishes dry and has a bit of cayenne pepper to give it a very subtle spiciness on the finish. Really blown away by this one, my favorite Yeti yet, and one of the best I've had period.

Yeah KBS and Bourbon County are at the top of my list but you are lucky to get any at all. For a staple, Founders Breakfast Stout is in my fridge a lot. I also love Stone Imperial and I have a bomber of Stone Espresso Imperial Stout waiting to be tasted. For a chocolate stout I'm still a fan of Young's. Southern Tier Choklat is also great.

Not a big fan of KBS...had it several times and its just not worth the hype to me...plus its a bitch to get...I'd honestly rather have the regular Founder's Imperial Stout...Easier to get and tastes way better IMO...

• 3 months later...

KBS is great, but unless you can get a ticket for release day it's nearly impossible to get in any quantity. When I don't get KBS, I buy New Holland's Dragon's Milk. It's not as good, but it's always available. It's also very tasty with a shot of vanilla vodka in it.

Great Divide's Yetis are the top of the heap for me. they do the imperial stout thing better than anyone else I've come across.

speaking of Yetis, there's a local Indian restaurant/brewpub called Yak and Yeti that brews and serves a really nice chai milk stout.

Very good stuff. The Chocolate Stout and Espresso Stout are both phenomenal.

In the craft brew category, I'll take Boris the Crusher from Hoppin' Frog.

In the every day drinking stout group I think I would go with Left Hand Milk Stout (not the Nitro version).

I love the bourbon barrel aged stuff, but I have to take it in small doses. Okay...large doses, but small in the sense that I space them out well :D

Sweeter Stouts, Left Hand Milk Stout is fantastic. For a classic stout, to me there is nothing finer than Deschutes The Abyss. Game over really and the rest strive to be as good. In between Parobola is darn fine. Firestone Walker is a secret that is getting out, sort of like Lagunitas 12 to 15 years ago.

• 1 month later...

Cleveland Beer Week was last week and I went to two different Stout nights. One with a mixed bag and one from Dark Horse Brewing up on MI. The Plead the Fifth with mint was fantastic. Mint was not overpowering.

I had a great one from Columbus Brewing Co called Steel Dawn - aged in Heaven Hill barrels with Vanilla Beans was outstanding.

Finally had a Bell's Black Note, which was fantastic.

Had a 2012 Founder's KBS.

What a great week that was

• 7 months later...

I am having a Young's Double Chocolate Stout (After seeing a score of 93 @ beer advocate while waiting down the beer aisle while the wife was doing groceries :brow: ) for the first time and it is fantastic!

Yeah KBS and Bourbon County are at the top of my list but you are lucky to get any at all. For a staple, Founders Breakfast Stout is in my fridge a lot. I also love Stone Imperial and I have a bomber of Stone Espresso Imperial Stout waiting to be tasted. For a chocolate stout I'm still a fan of Young's. Southern Tier Choklat is also great.

I had a couple of Bourbon County's Coffee Stouts while traveling on business a month ago. Very good but very strong as well. Don't think I can have more than 2 thou.

Love KBS, but I also love FFF Darklord and Surly Darkness, also Deschutes Abyss .. but I should GUMMI BEAR because those are Imperials.. sry. ahh there are too many. now I'm thirsty and its still morning so I will say Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast.

• 7 years later...

I was talking Old Rasputin up in another thread. I'm also a fan of Dragon's Milk, Founders Breakfast Stout and a local favorite is Judge Roy Bean from Fairhope Brewing. One I've been wanting to get my hands on is a coconut pecan stout, but selection here isn't that great.

• Like 1

Had some Founders Breakfast stout during the game today. Really wish they sold it in a 6 pack rather than 4. Now rolling with some Yuengling black and tans. I love a good black and tan and this is a decent beer, but it's not really a black and tan.

Also, I tried one of their Hershey stouts and, again, it's ok,  but I wouldn't spend my money on it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

If you can find it, this one is very nice. Smooth and creamy. Very easy to drink.

20230402_161136.thumb.jpg.d412e1467ef2c24d5da7f72bdfc502e9.jpg

Love coffee stouts but hate the lactose ones in general.  They tend to be overly sweet.  So gotta ask, how sweet is it?

1 hour ago, Def. said:

Love coffee stouts but hate the lactose ones in general.  They tend to be overly sweet.  So gotta ask, how sweet is it?

My first thought definitely wasn't sweet. The creamy texture and hint of vanilla were what stood out the most with a noticeable lack of bitterness that often come with coffee stouts. If I had rate on a scale of coffee creme stouts, flat white being the least sweet and a latte' being the most, I'd put it in the range of a cappuccino or slightly less sweet.

• Thanks 1

@Def.I was just going to say that it reminded me of a Guiness black & tan, but with the coffee and vanilla flavor and before posting I went to see what their site said about it and now I realize why. It's actually a golden stout, which explains it being less bitter. 

From their site:

Wendy Peffercorn is golden in color, but it smells and tastes more like a stout than a golden ale. A smooth brew conditioned over Vanilla, Cacao, and JayD’s Dominican Coffee.

15 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

@Def.I was just going to say that it reminded me of a Guiness black & tan, but with the coffee and vanilla flavor and before posting I went to see what their site said about it and now I realize why. It's actually a golden stout, which explains it being less bitter. 

From their site:

Wendy Peffercorn is golden in color, but it smells and tastes more like a stout than a golden ale. A smooth brew conditioned over Vanilla, Cacao, and JayD’s Dominican Coffee.

Black & Tans were a go to in my 20's.  I'll give it a shot if it's in the area.  :tup:

So my stout selection is kind of poor, cause diabetes make them tricky to drink, but these have been my top ranked so far:

• Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout (Goose Island) - They always do a hell of a job when they have this variant.  
  • Bourbon County Brand Vanilla Stout (Goose Island) - Best beer they do, unfortunately they only seem to do it every 4-5 years.  The 2018 variant was phenomenal.
  • Willettized (Lagunitas) - Great coffee stout.

Bout all I got.  Most of the rest I've seemed to rank in the average range, but I've only got around 30 stouts out of my list of 400+ beers.  I tend to be a hoppy/bitter beer guy honestly.   

• Like 1