[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Dreaded #7 spot

darin3

I personally think #7 is the worst draft spot this season. Why? I think there are 6 legit RBs you can take with picks 1-6. I've seen some expert drafts where the #7 guy is faced with taking a "next tier RB" or being "the guy to grab Calvin Johnson".

I've just started my first redraft and ended up being "that guy".... even with Ray Rice out there. Bernard Pierce didn't scare me off, it was the Ravens' going away from their best offensive weapon without rhyme or reason... on top of their passing game losses. I think Rice will have a few stinker games and that just doesn't sit well with me. I opted for the game-changer.

I was able to snare S-Jax with my 2nd rounder. I was tempted to go WR2 or even TE but Graham and Marshall were both snagged just ahead of me.

What successes (or failures) have you seen at the 7-hole?

Any other slot you're not enamored with?

I had #7 in a money league last week and got Charles but that was a 2 QB league. If I was at #7 in a redraft I think I would have to go with Rice, McCoy, or Forte. I just don't see how you can take Calvin there and have SJAX, Ridley, or Reggie Bush as your RB1.

If i was there I might reach for Forte.

Both WR and RB are super deep this year. I took the gamechanger with almost no downside. Felt the RBs that were in the pool I had to pick from were at the top end of a larger group that is quite similar. I was able to get a RB in the middle of that pack in the next round.

Just liked the Johnson/Jackson combo more than I would have something like Rice/Jones. Too many variables with both of those guys.

And I *NEVER* reach with pick #1. You have to be 100% sure that your #1 pick is a sure thing.

JMHO.

Both WR and RB are super deep this year. I took the gamechanger with almost no downside. Felt the RBs that were in the pool I had to pick from were at the top end of a larger group that is quite similar. I was able to get a RB in the middle of that pack in the next round.

Just liked the Johnson/Jackson combo more than I would have something like Rice/Jones. Too many variables with both of those guys.

And I *NEVER* reach with pick #1. You have to be 100% sure that your #1 pick is a sure thing.

JMHO.

interesting, I think I would rather have the Rice/Jones combo

I have the 7 slot in MSHB. 18 owner league with full IDP. I hate the slot but as I usually do in that league I will mix it up quite a bit in my earlier round picks to see what shakes back down to me in the next round. I am nothing if not completely unpredictable when drafting in that league. The 7 may not be so bad but I almost am assured my RB's will be a challenge that I will try to make up for in other areas.

After posting this I went to the site and see that we have dropped to 16 rather than 18. I think I am liking my optioins a bit better - the 2 extra owners. Looking forward to this draft.

Edited by tbimm

News to me that there are exactly 6 tier 1 RB's I better update my cheat sheet.

Where did I say that there were exactly 6 tier 1 RBs, Muto?

I said that based on my own rankings and a host of other drafts I've seen to date, the first six picks are *usually* RBs.

No need to go back to being a snarky little twatface.

• Like 1

Where did I say that there were exactly 6 tier 1 RBs, Muto?

I said that based on my own rankings and a host of other drafts I've seen to date, the first six picks are *usually* RBs.

No need to go back to being a snarky little twatface.

you said their are six legit RB's, that kinda means they are in a tier of their own.

Before we picked our draft order, I was playing around with the 7 pick and was actually getting some pretty solid teams out of the mock drafts I tried. Seemed like either Spiller or Lynch fell to me everytime and I would certainly be okay with either one in the 7th spot. I'd even be alright with Rice falling down to 7 and would not take Calvin at 7 in any situation.

I pulled the 5 spot in my main local, and I'm pretty happy about it. I feel like the top RBs are pretty safe and as sure as you can get, and I don't feel any better about any of them over the other (so long as Charles' foot is okay). I think 7 is about the spot where it gets reasonable to take Calvin, but it depends on the league scoring system a bit. He's as sure of a WR as you can get with no real worry of losing looks. That offense in Detroit will move through him and, to a lesser extent, Reggie Bush. I think if you don't feel comfortable with a guy like McCoy or Richardson, then trust your gut and take Calvin.

I pulled the 5 spot in my main local, and I'm pretty happy about it. I feel like the top RBs are pretty safe and as sure as you can get, and I don't feel any better about any of them over the other (so long as Charles' foot is okay). I think 7 is about the spot where it gets reasonable to take Calvin, but it depends on the league scoring system a bit. He's as sure of a WR as you can get with no real worry of losing looks. That offense in Detroit will move through him and, to a lesser extent, Reggie Bush. I think if you don't feel comfortable with a guy like McCoy or Richardson, then trust your gut and take Calvin.

I think the 5/6 spots are the best, followed by the endcap at 12 (assuming 12-man league). 5 or 6 ensures you of a very reliable, every-week RB (note I am not saying TIER ONE, semantics freaks).... and then you'll get a solid 2nd round pick, usually a solid WR.

Richardson was long gone when I picked at 7 and the RB options - as I've already stated - that were staring me in the face just had too many question marks for me to feel comfortable. Decided to take the sure thing.

I love the 7 spot. In a PPR, I see 11 RBs before any significant value drop happens:

A. Peterson

D. Martin

A. Foster

J. Charles

T. Richardson

C. Spiller

R. Rice

M. Lynch

A. Morris

L. McCoy

M. Forte

That means, at 7, you will still get to "choose" a player you want, as opposed to taking what's left. Great place to be.

Your best-case scenario may have been Rice + SJax.

• Like 1

7 is better than 8, but less likely to be better than 6.

Even though 6 is more likely better than 7, the number 5 spot is definitely better than all of those previously mentioned.

I am not sure about 4, but anything above that is in the top 3, I think.

In a ten team league, I dont like being 11 or 12, for sure.

Edited by Joessfl
  • Like 2

Exactly. I have never really cared what draft spot I get.

these days things are a bit more balanced, but not too long ago having those 1,2, and sometimes 3 picks was a big deal. it was a big advantage to get an LT, Holmes, LJ, AP ...where you pretty much knew you were getting the production of 2 backs. allows you to take some risks others likely weren't able to afford.

Last year I drafted both my 1st and 4th place NFFC teams from the 7 slot. I took Tom Brady in both drafts at the 1.07. Every year is different but last year everyone had to have a top 3 spot because Foster, Rice and McCoy were a clear cut tier above everyone else. I seemed to do ok without the great first round RB. (Did I mention I took Gronk in round 2).

Who needs stinking RB's.

Are we talking PPR or non PPR ? There is a good chance in PPR leagues that someone grabs Calvin in the top 6 or someone takes 1 of the other RB's not in your top 6. I have been in many drafts where Calvin has gone top 6 and even #1 overall in a few. Also there has been a good mix of RB's in the top 6 about 9 different ones.

7 not a problem for me, if a PPR league. And I have no problem with drafting WRs early, b/c they tend to be more consistently scoring in PPR leagues. I also feel that those RBs who catch alot of passes are usually available througout the draft (from Forte to Reggie Bush all the way to Vereen, to mention a few). Top WR heavy teams can dominate PPR leagues :tup: