[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

PEDs...

dfv87

Help me out here...

PED users = less than 2 years ban, most less than 1/2 yr. Still get to make MILLIONS

Corked Bat = 2 weeks

Spit Ball = game ejection if caught... HOF (Gaylord Perry admitted he cheated in his HOF speech)

Stealing signs = good baseball, "if ya aint cheatin ya aint tryin!"

Pete Rose bet on Baseball games he managed... Only to WIN. = lifetime ban

What is the difference between a cheater and a cheater?

I never understood the Pete Rose banning. I always understood it to be like you explained and feel sorry for the guy. I read that he basically was asked by MLB to admit to it and it will go easier. He did admit to betting on his team to win, and they reversed course and banned him. I remember Rose being the guy that would love to win, but I never heard of him trying to lose a game to win a bet.

Are there any books that go into depth about the whole situation?

I Loved rose's comment in the interview that he had the wrong vice... if he used drugs or drank or beat his wife he would get another chance but because he gambled he is done... this is assinine is it not?

I Loved rose's comment in the interview that he had the wrong vice... if he used drugs or drank or beat his wife he would get another chance but because he gambled he is done... this is assinine is it not?

It is.

I looked up some books. I trhink I am going to start with

Hustle: The Myth, Life, and Lies of Pete Rose Paperback

by Michael Sokolove (Author)

I never understood the Pete Rose banning. I always understood it to be like you explained and feel sorry for the guy. I read that he basically was asked by MLB to admit to it and it will go easier. He did admit to betting on his team to win, and they reversed course and banned him. I remember Rose being the guy that would love to win, but I never heard of him trying to lose a game to win a bet.

Are there any books that go into depth about the whole situation?

He also adamantly denied it for like 15 years. That's what really pissed everyone off.

growing up, i loved the big red machine and charlie hustle. i really don't know how you guys can rationalize his betting on baseball while he was managing (and especially on his team). to me, it does not matter if it was for his team to win or not. he was in a position to manipulate many factors of the game for personal interests. .... which could have negative implications for players and team standings (long term health issues).

very different than loose ped policy and abuses since the 60's and 70's.

Bier,

So using PEDS to gain an advantage and manipulate the ability of the offender (by improving personal perfomance to get better contracts and $$) is somewhat less reprehensible in your opinion? I am not saying Rose should be back or in the hall etc... but neither should the PED users or Gaylord Perry or IMO if we are talking about the "integrity of the game". Do you think that all the records Barry Bonds or ARod etc broke are somewhat OK? Tell that to the pitchers that gave up a HR to a guy juicing that would have been a fly out without the juice ... or the guy that lost his spot on a roster to a "better" guy that was juicing. Then come talk about "integrity".

I am merely pointing out that it is funny how that (integrity of the game) means so much for a certain offense but not for another.

Hey I realize that Rose is not a posterboy for what is good about people, BUT if we are saying that one kind of cheating is ok, another is well not that bad, and another is worth a life time ban then I guess I don't think I see it that way.

I am not looking to argue for Rose but merely point out that Baseball and Sports in general are all about the $$ for themselves... when PEDS are good for sports, they love em, but then they get on their high horse of integrity and say these are bad things... Basball made MILLIONS AND MILLIONS off Sosa and McGuire. Football makes BILLIONS AND BILLIONS off freakishly huge fast players that have some every year juicing... but they say they want it "pure" and we all know that is BS. If they had Integrity they would throw everybody out that cheats. OR ANY offense should have a limit of when they are elligible to return... ie Rose. That is my point.

Sorry to sound like I am arguing that ROse be reinstated... it was not my intention. Throw them all out! Gaylord Perry too!

my post was pointed at a couple of people not understanding why rose was banned. in my opinion these are not black and white issues...they are a matter of degree, a continuum. to me certain things are worse than others. now if a player is involved with betting on his team, he can manipulate it in the same way as rose. rose coul manipulate it on a higher level by fielding players when he should not (wear and tear/injury risk).

peds is a separate topic. they have been in the game for some time (escalating in the 90's/2000's). i absolutely have a problem with their use, but i abhor the circus that the investigations and punishments became. say you and i have a speed limit of 65. for 20 years it is common practice to drive 75 or 80 along that strip of highway. then magically the state issues a punishment of a permanent suspension of one's driver's license and cutting off of one's hands without notice or grace period ...without adequate methodology of proving that we are speeding. on top of that, throw in something that allowed the state to recover and thrive financially as a result of our speeding.

that is without truly defining what a ped is. aside from the legal aspect..is cocaine a ped? meth? speed? how many players have been amped on non-steroid substances that enhanced performance?

while i see it as a lesser offense, i still view it as harmful to the game

Edited by Bier Meister