[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

...and the #8 pick is...? #1 overall WR or #7 overall RB

Guys, its been a long off season. So glad to be back here to discuss FF!

I have the #8 pick in my 12-man, non-ppr league. And I have been mulling who to take at that spot.

In my mock drafts, Calvin Johnson has been slipping to the 8-spot. I have been reading to take the next best RB at the 8 spot.

So my question is: is it prudent to take the best overall next best person at that spot, whether RB or WR, or to take the next best RB which would be #7RB thats rated?

Thoughts and analysis would be helpful.

@Delfam

Interesting that you said that considering my league is non-PPR. I'll take that into consideration, given my league format.

the only reason Calvin goes in the first over those RB's is that it's a ppr league, taking away the ppr means guys like Morris, Forte, or even MJD will score close to the same points as a guy like Calvin. Take into regards RB scarcity and you have to go RB. Calvin scores more points that any RB in a ppr league and is still only taken around pick 7 in those leagues.

• Like 1

the only reason Calvin goes in the first over those RB's is that it's a ppr league, taking away the ppr means guys like Morris, Forte, or even MJD will score close to the same points as a guy like Calvin. Take into regards RB scarcity and you have to go RB. Calvin scores more points that any RB in a ppr league and is still only taken around pick 7 in those leagues.

This.

• Like 1

@Delfamdelfam,

I def took an RB at the 8 spot (Ray Rice slipped to 8 in my league). Crazy because Calvin Johnson went #5 overall! Considering the format and what you mentioned about RB scarcity, was true after the 6th round in my draft. Thanks for the advice, its appreciated.

@Delfamdelfam,

I def took an RB at the 8 spot (Ray Rice slipped to 8 in my league). Crazy because Calvin Johnson went #5 overall! Considering the format and what you mentioned about RB scarcity, was true after the 6th round in my draft. Thanks for the advice, its appreciated.

Nice. Rice slipped to me at the ninth pick in a 12 team league and I grabbed him. Was thinking I'd get Forte and was fine with that, but couldn't pass on Rice. I was able to follow up with Chris Johnson in the second, passing on one of the tier one WRs for two solid RBs. (I did get Randall Cobb in the 3rd.) I'm interested to see who you went with in the 2nd.

Edited by Tripleshot
  • Like 1

I like MJD in the 3rd. He doesn't scare me at all, not like Murray/McFadden and some of the supposed breakout RBs that have have yet to nail down bell cow status(Wilson/Brown, Miller/Thomas, Monte "El Matador" Ball, etc.).

I picked 9th out of 12 teams. .5 PPR, 6pts per TD, and TEs get 1.5 pts per 10 yards. I went Rice, Chris Johnson, Cobb, Lacey(which was a reach but I like him better than the other RBS available and knew he'd be gone by the time it got back to me in the 5th), Djax, D. Richardson, Josh Gordon, Luck, Givens, Seahawks D(someone already broke the Def ice before me, lol), Myers, Fleener(to pair with Luck if Fleener is healthy), S Greene(CJ2k handcuff), Heyward-Bey(again, a flyer on someone to pair with Luck), Andre Roberts, Dwayne Allen(hoping he or Fleener stays healthy, little risk as both drafted as TE2), Bullock, and last pick(18th round) has yet to be determined. I went RB heavy early because I got burned by lack of depth last year and being a Huddle league, you don't see RBs drop into later rounds at all. I made two picks I consider reaches but they were also homer picks(Lacey and Seahawks Def, as I grew up in WI and live in Seattle now). I also held to my penchant of picking younger, up and coming players in good positions to succeed over veterans with known/limited ceilings.

Nice draft. Looks solid. And I agree with you grabbing RB's early especially with RB depth issues happening after the first few rounds and also some team starting an RB by committee and not set on a solid #1 back. I think SEA D looks like a wrecking crew this season especially with the addition of Clif Avril. That 3-4 D will bring the heat.

I am in a non-PPR, Passing: 1pt./25 yds, 2pts/25 yds at the 400 yard mark. TD's 6pts (pass and rush). Rush/Reception: 10yds/ 1pt. , 2pts/10yds when rush is over 150yds. In the first 5 rounds I picked up 3 RBs/2 WR's. 1st) Rice. 2nd) AJ Green - I felt like he was a steal in the 2nd. 3rd) MJD in the 3rd (Jamaal Charles slipped into the 3rd and was taken right before me. 4th) Victor Cruz, i know he injured but felt he will be ready to go for the start of Week 1. 5th) Reggie Bush, I like him in a new team, new setting, which means he gets a fresh start. 6th) Luck - Guys were reaching for QBs in the first, and by the time this round came by I liked Luck so I grabbed him. 7th) Stevie Johnson (BUF) - I think he will have a good season with EJ Manuel under center, best value in the 7th so you cant go wrong with him. 8th) Ronnie Hillman - DEN. Another sleeper, so i hope he gets touches over Montee Ball. 9th) I reached and grabbed Jordan Cameron (he showed a lot of potential in pre season and with Norv Turner as OC in CLE means TEs will get lots of looks). 10th) M Floyd (AZ) I am banking on Palmer to spread the love out there. 11th) EJ Manuel, high risk, high reward in my book. 12th) B Hartline, WRs were scant in this round so i am taking a gamble. 13) Knile Davis (KC) i think he has the potential to be Charles backup. Somewhere in the rounds I picked up GB's D/ST and Greg Zuerlein as K.

best of luck with your team and season.