[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looks like we're getting ready to lower the boom on Syria

Cowboyz1

"Days after the United States moved warships armed with cruise missiles into the region, Hagel told the BBC on Tuesday that forces were ready to carry out a strike if ordered. A senior Defense Department official told CNN that any strike could be completed "within several days."

It's about time. They need to know that staying in power and killing people is not ok.

So is there going to be an official declaration of war this time by Congress, or just another executive decision to use some self-realized "police power"?

Either way, I say neither should happen. Let Syria figure it out themselves.

Playing the DA: So you think every time the President needs to put a country in check or make a strategic strike or two, he should go to congress and declare war? I think that is a waste of time. If we need to strike with no boots on the ground and we don't plan on a sustained military endeavor then why waste all the time bickering on the floor over it. A declaration of war is a very big deal. Bombing a country for gassing their people is punishment, not all out war.

If you were in Syria and you were a dad with several small kids in the middle of all that wouldn't you want someone to stop the madness or at least punish those who would gas your kids indiscriminately.

I find is funny that if any one of you would see a three of four guys kicking the $hit out of some kid in the street, you wouldn't call someone to help stop it or stop it yourself. If the cops showed up and just stood around watching because they don't have the chief of polices approval to engage, you would be appalled. But since it's another country and you and I are thousands of miles away comfortable in our own freedoms and comforts, we say screw em let them fend for themselves. Fact is we do have a responsibility to those who cannot defend themselves from powers that be. We do have the responsibility to defend those children that have no say in the air they breath or the country they live in. So I say yes we should lower the boom on the Syrian government so that they know that they can't just gas the civilian population without getting thumped. In fact, we should do a little "Shock in Awe" number to let the rest of the world know chemical weapons are out.

Now if you argue whats the difference between being blown up an gassed. Just watch the videos and you will see. Once your blown up its over, you lose a limb and it hurts or your lose your life. Bang it's over. When you get gassed on the other hand you suffer and gag and slowly suffer immeasurable pain. There is a reason they are globally outlawed. I am willing to bet any sum that if you were there and watched that little 6 year old first go blind, then gag and watch his father pass out then pass out himself, you would demand action. I doubt anyone of us would walk away and shrugging our shoulder saying welp they're just going to have to figure it out themselves. Sorry little fella, nothing I can do.

My 2 cents

Edited by Cowboyz1

• 2 weeks later...

The problem as has been discussed a lot lately is we usually end up punishing one side, backing another side, and then a few years later the guys we backed are evil and have weapons and other stuff we gave them.

Using chemical weapons is atrocious, and should be punished. But this is basically a civil war, and getting involved in the civil wars in all these countries is not always right. And it is usually done because of greed and threats to resources we need, not because it is the morally correct thing to do. Those in power (both parties) really don't care about doing the right thing.

PS I do agree to an extend that approval of Congress should not be required. But there is really no way to say "we're just going to launch a few missles and then we'll be done." Because if they retaliate in some way, we'll get more involved. Sure they'd be stupid do that, but most of these folks are not rational.

tomorrow is the one year anniversary of the killing of our ambassador over a video . all hail Queen Hillary and the gang.this web site is still jacked. enter button does not exist. or is this what they call a partial ban.

I think the enter key issue is browser related, possibly IE10.