[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nomar to the Cubs

gilthorp

Was Nomar in the last year of his contract and the red sox afrai he wouldn't re-sign with them?  Go Cubs! :D

328524[/snapback]

No - Nomar wanted to stay in Boston. Boston didn't want him. The trade fiasco earlier this year with Rodriguez.

The Twins were involved in the trade. They sent Doug Mientkievich to Boston. Twins get a LH pitching prospect from the Cubs.

No - Nomar wanted to stay in Boston. Boston didn't want him. The trade fiasco earlier this year with Rodriguez.

The Twins were involved in the trade. They sent Doug Mientkievich to Boston. Twins get a LH pitching prospect from the Cubs.

328598[/snapback]

How about tonight at the Metrodome? I checked MLB Live and there's Dougie M playing 1B, so I think to myself "Oh, they didn't trade him after all" - then I notice he's playing 1B for Boston!! :D:DB)

Being a White Sox fan, this is tough to see...they just pick-pocketed Boston.

328514[/snapback]

not so sure. Have you seen Orlando Cabrera play ? :D He's pretty f*ck'in good...... his offensive stats are down this year and has had his ass stuck in Montreal with no exposure...... but his glove is golden and is hell & gone from Nomar on defense. B)

Garciaparra is very much average or less with the glove.

Not to mention Mientkiewicz who may be the best glove on the planet..... guy's a freak'in vacuum.

Boston can afford to give up the bat... scoring runs ain't their problem..... giving up runs has been... with Nomar & David Ortiz two big parts of the problem.:D

The way Boston dangled nomar around earlier this year... there was no way he was stay'in, IMO. And furthermore... regardless what he said.... I believe he's happy as hell to be going to Chi-town.

not so sure. Have you seen Orlando Cabrera play ? :D  He's pretty f*ck'in good...... his offensive stats are down this year and has had his ass stuck in Montreal with no exposure...... but his glove is golden and is hell & gone from Nomar on defense.  B)

Garciaparra is very much average or less with the glove.

Not to mention Mientkiewicz who may be the best glove  on the planet..... guy's a freak'in vacuum.

Boston can afford to give up the bat... scoring runs ain't their problem..... giving up runs has been... with Nomar & David Ortiz two big parts of the problem.:D

The way Boston dangled nomar around earlier this year... there was no way he was stay'in, IMO. And furthermore... regardless what he said.... I believe he's happy as hell to be going to Chi-town.

328830[/snapback]

Agreed, agreed, agreed, all the way with every comment. Today will be VERY interesting - how will Nomar do in his debut - if he plays?

Today will be VERY interesting - how will Nomar do in his debut - if he plays?

329038[/snapback]

Nomar is in the 2 hole today... hit'n right before Alou, Sammy, Lee & Ramirez. that's pretty good protection right there.

And BTW, Cabrera is in the 3 slot in boston's lineup.

Both these players are happy as pigs in mud right now....... no matter what anybody says.... nomar is elated to get outta beantown.... he was good as gone at seasons end anyway......and cabrera probably filled his pants when he heard he was leaving the Expos to hit #3 in boston's lineup.

Nomar is in the 2 hole today... hit'n right before Alou, Sammy, Lee & Ramirez. that's pretty good protection right there.

And BTW, Cabrera is in the 3 slot in boston's lineup.

Both these players are happy as pigs in mud right now....... no matter what anybody says.... nomar is elated to get outta beantown.... he was good as gone at seasons end anyway......and cabrera probably filled his pants when he heard he was leaving the Expos to hit #3 in boston's lineup.

329099[/snapback]

I sat him - he sat out Fri and Sat (of course) and I wasn't sure if he'd start today. I'll be eagerly watching to see how he does today, it's his attitude that needs a boost, not his offensive skills. Having hung on to him through his injury, he's been a severe disappointment considering the lineup he was in. The amount of LOB he had was killing me in Trojan's league.

Do you think he'll hit better at Wrigley than at Fenway, or is the change of stadium a wash?

Do you think he'll hit better at Wrigley than at Fenway, or is the change of stadium a wash?

329102[/snapback]

hard to say..... switching leagues is sometimes tough. Saw an interview with him this AM..... said he's never even set foot in Wrigley 'till today. now he'll have to adjust to all the new pitching on the flye.

He's such a good hitter though...... I think he transitions well. and he now has a gold glover in Lee @ 1st. shagg'in his errant throws. :D

328598[/snapback]

Not quite true, there was about a 0.00001% chance Nomar was re-signing with the Sox after this year. He wanted out.

Not quite true, there was about a 0.00001% chance Nomar was re-signing with the Sox after this year. He wanted out.

329640[/snapback]

yep. Nomars' fate in boston seemed doomed when the Yale yuppie Theo took over in the front office. It's as if Nomar got caught hose'n Epsteins' wife in the training room or something.:D I think Nomar & his agent tried numerous times (since epstein came aboard) to get an extension & Theo said no, no & no. They've also got alotta dinero tied up in Pedro, Manny & Schilling, with Pedro's deal ending this off season too.:D

It's the best of both worlds for both.....Boston gets 2 quality players & a sufficient replacement for nomar.....

..... Nomar gets to join a pennant race in Chi-town & have someone absolutely kiss his ass for the next 2 months. Chicago's front office has gotta be work'in OT with Nomars' agent right now try'in to do whatever they can to lock him up long term. The cubbies didn't make that trade unless they were pretty d*mn sure they's sign him to a deal.

If not... he gets unrestricted free agency.

EDITED to ADD - It's a wild-card race in Chicago.... not a pennant race. B) There's no way in hell the Cubs catch the Cards....... St. Louis is a machine.

Edited by Down Goes Frazia

I think Nomar & his agent tried numerous times (since epstein came aboard) to get an extension & Theo said no, no & no.

329700[/snapback]

Boston did offer him a 4 year $60 million contract which he turned down. No way he gets that much in free agency this offseason.

Unless George wants a second baseman. :D

Boston did offer him a 4 year $60 million contract which he turned down. No way he gets that much in free agency this offseason.

Unless George wants a second baseman.  :D

329912[/snapback]

... didn't realize he say no to THAT. That's alotta smack. You know he's good as gone when he says no to $15 mil a year.

not so sure. Have you seen Orlando Cabrera play ? :D  He's pretty f*ck'in good...... his offensive stats are down this year and has had his ass stuck in Montreal with no exposure...... but his glove is golden and is hell & gone from Nomar on defense.  :D

Yeah, but the Cubs didn't give up Cabrera, or Manishevitz, or anybody else any good!!! Just A-Gon and a couple of mediocre prospects.

Another White Sox fan here - but the Cubs made out like bandits!

Another White Sox fan here - but the Cubs made out like bandits!

330552[/snapback]

I wasn't debating that. My original post was to the statement that Boston got their "pocket picked"...... which is not the case, IMO.... seeing as Garciaparra was out the door @ seasons end.

And BTW, the cubs only make out like bandits if they retain Nomar & sign him long term.The dice come up craps if he signs elsewhere.

I wasn't debating that. My original post was to the statement that Boston got their "pocket picked"...... which is not the case, IMO.... seeing as Garciaparra was out the door @ seasons end.

And BTW, the cubs only make out like bandits if they retain Nomar & sign him long term.The dice come up craps if he signs elsewhere.

330600[/snapback]

You're right - Boston did get some decent players out of the whole deal.

Cubs - IMO they made out like bandits as long as they make the play-offs this year - regardless of whether they sign him long-term or not... (it's not like they mortgaged their future to get him)

Cabrera homers in his 1st. AB with the Sox........... oh but the irony, he commits an error in his 1st. game too. :D

329617[/snapback]

If you saw the play that got him an error you would have laughed.

Kapler threw the ball away and cabrera barely gets a glove on the thing on the run and gets and error.

If you saw the play that got him an error you would have laughed.

Kapler threw the ball away and cabrera barely gets a glove on the thing on the run and gets and error.

330657[/snapback]

Yeah I heard Harold reynolds talk'in about it on baseball tonight......... he said no way it shoulda been an error. didn't see it myself.

328598[/snapback]

If he wanted to stay so badly, why did he turn down a 4 year, 60 million dollar extension?

Why did he play 'injured' all year, only to say how much better his achillies felt after he was traded?

EDIT: Oh...someone already metioned that...

:bricks:

Nomar wanted to get out... possibly because Boston was not trying too hard to hang onto him.

He was a great hitter, but he was verrrrry injury prone (he played 20-something games before he was traded??), and his heart was in questions (again, maybe because Boston was dangling him around in trade rumors).

In the end, I'm not too sad he's gone. Maybe that's because I was a big Doug M fan from back when I still did fantasy baseball. I'm glad to have him on the squad.

Nomar wanted to get out... possibly because Boston was not trying too hard to hang onto him.

He was a great hitter, but he was verrrrry injury prone (he played 20-something games before he was traded??), and his heart was in questions (again, maybe because Boston was dangling him around in trade rumors).

In the end, I'm not too sad he's gone.  Maybe that's because I was a big Doug M fan from back when I still did fantasy baseball.  I'm glad to have him on the squad.

332618[/snapback]

In the news recently, not only did Nomie turn down the offer of 60 million for 4 in 2002, he turned it down again in march 2004. The deal was different and had some deferred money, but it was still the best offer he was going to get.

Next year he'll be playing for 10 million.

All right...This is where I read that he wanted to stay in Boston

Link

Garciaparra said he'd been in a "whirlwind" since the trade was announced Saturday, adding he'd experienced varying emotions after departing the only team he'd ever played for.

When the Red Sox tried during the offseason to get Alex Rodriguez from Texas to play shortstop, Garciaparra would have been shipped out. The deal didn't come together and after he stayed with the Red Sox, Garciaparra's feelings were hurt.

But soon after the trade Saturday, he said he still wanted to stay in Boston.

"There was definitely some sadness last night. When you hear the news you get over that," Garciaparra said.

"I was talking upon leaving that the sadness would probably hit you later on and it definitely did because it's hard for anybody when you spend 10 years in one place and you set your home there."