[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trading Future Draft Picks

BA Baracus

This is why we decided as a league to not allow trading of future draft picks.

It all happened pretty fast and I wanted to get opinions from here. Thanks to those who responded.

If it's an active league with non-idiot owners, Manning will never go for cents on the dollar because the smart Manning owner will post "I'm trading Manning this week, best current offer is a 10th".

Where you'll encounter problems are when you have owners that disagree on the policy. This is a hugely touchy subject in FF with very divisive opinions. Some think all is fair in love and war (hand up), and some think it's dirty business to white flag it in week 6. The best point I heard against it was "one guy gets super strong this year, and we all (except the guy dumping) have to contend with how strong he is, and then next year the other guy gets super strong, and we all have to cope with HIM now".

One group will respond "well then make sure you are the one that wins the auction" or "that's what trading does, it makes two guys better while the other 10 tread water" or "then go make a trade in response to get better".

The other though, will not want to have to deal with that. Because when the bidding war ends on Manning, that owner just got MUCH stronger next year. And at what cost? If he's 0-7 he's not making the playoffs anyway, so it's literally costing him nothing to give up Manning, but he's getting a ton next year.

All I can recommend is that you get some real life examples of these trades and say "this is what you're signing up for". And when they do bitch when it happens, all you can do is say I told you so. Mark my words, it will happen, just be prepared.

For the record, I absolutely recommend allowing it. It adds a whole new dimension to league management, especially in the offseason. It's pretty tough to make a trade both owners like when players are involved, but now if I can sweeten the deal by adding my 2nd rounder next year, I might get Brees for Kaepernick and a 2nd.

A couple of things you can do to help mitigate the issue:

- Players not eligible to be kept can't be traded for future picks

- Trades made after <deadline> cannot include future draft picks, and all players traded are ineligible to be kept.

We don't have a hard trade deadline, we want to ensure that those 2-5 teams can still make trades if they are trying to compete this year, so the above ensures they cannot just dump off a fire sale. Our "deadline" is week 9.

Edited by flemingd

I could never bring myself to trade good players for "pennies on the dollar" regardless of it being a "keeper" or full on dynasty. Guess that's just me.

I'm the same way , once I fall in love with a player I do my best to have him on all rosters ( 4 dynasty leagues ) and will over value them most of the time mainly because once I do trade one away for some stupid reason I feel I must get rid of same player on the rest of my teams even if I sell cheap :wacko: but by building my teams this way I have less players to watch and I do great in all league or suck in all leagues. Right now common players in all (4) leagues are Peyton , Foster , Lynch , D. Hopkins, Dez Bryant , Clay , Fleener & Rudolf

I'm the same way , once I fall in love with a player I do my best to have him on all rosters ( 4 dynasty leagues ) and will over value them most of the time mainly because once I do trade one away for some stupid reason I feel I must get rid of same player on the rest of my teams even if I sell cheap :wacko: but by building my teams this way I have less players to watch and I do great in all league or suck in all leagues. Right now common players in all (4) leagues are Peyton , Foster , Lynch , D. Hopkins, Dez Bryant , Clay , Fleener & Rudolf

I do gain an affinity for certain players... but once they're in their last year, you have to make a decision. I'm in a league where I have Brees, Megatron and Witten all in their final year. There's just NO WAY I can retain all 3 unless I trade other players (or picks) for cash. Even then it would be difficult. So I have to make the unenviable choice of either keeping all three until the very end and hopefully winning the league... or trade off one (or more) for talent with longer contracts that will still allow me a good chance to win.

:wacko:

allowing the trading of future picks can be a risky business if the GM that traded away the picks decides not to return. Then you're stuck with an orphaned team that is really hard to find a new GM to come in and start without a full palate of picks. Too risky.

We didn't allow it in my leagues but made an exception last year to allow each time the privilege of trading a maximum of one future pick for the following year. So far, so good.

I do gain an affinity for certain players... but once they're in their last year, you have to make a decision. I'm in a league where I have Brees, Megatron and Witten all in their final year. There's just NO WAY I can retain all 3 unless I trade other players (or picks) for cash. Even then it would be difficult. So I have to make the unenviable choice of either keeping all three until the very end and hopefully winning the league... or trade off one (or more) for talent with longer contracts that will still allow me a good chance to win.

:wacko:

Oh , my leagues are full dynasty , you own a player he is yours until you trade or drop , or he retires

One of the leagues i am in the sandbaging began a few weeks ago. We keep 2 players for their draft spot, The guy who sandbaged his team last year, and did it well as he managed to trade to all of his divisional rivals and get picks back from all three of them, just can't get his line-up right this year. with his 2 keepers he had his entire roster by the 4th round but keeps guessing wrong who to start and has begun buying this year and moved his 1st and 5th already, and currently sits in 5th.

allowing the trading of future picks can be a risky business if the GM that traded away the picks decides not to return. Then you're stuck with an orphaned team that is really hard to find a new GM to come in and start without a full palate of picks. Too risky.

Its not risky if you collect next years fees up front from those owners that trade away draft picks , that is our rule

so if the owner don't come back , we offer the team for free ,, now let me add all but two owners have been in this league since 2001 the other two are in their 3rd & 5th year so it a pretty tight group and we have awaiting list of people who want to join.

We didn't allow it in my leagues but made an exception last year to allow each time the privilege of trading a maximum of one future pick for the following year. So far, so good.

It can be. In my leagues, if you're trading picks past the following year, you have to pre-pay for next year.

Edited by darin3

It can be. In my leagues, if you're trading picks past the following year, you have to pre-pay for next year.

+1

In my Dynasty league, any trades involving future draft picks require that future year's entry fee being paid. Prevents an owner from selling his future for a winner now and then skipping out on the league.