[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question about ESPN Heads up tie breaker (3 way)

Cheddar

Hi,

So in my league our regular season ends this week. We cmae into the week with a four way 8-5 tie. Three of the four of the tied people won this week. I am trying to figure out who's going to be the #1 for the regular season. This is ESPN and it is a heads up tie breaker

I am team A, plus we have teams B and C.

For the season, I am 2-0 against team B and 1-1 against Team C.

Team B is 0-2 against team A and and 1-1 against Team C

Team C is 1-1 against team A and 1-1 against team B.

That means heads up amongst the three of us, I have the most wins. Do ou think it will go to more or the secondary tie breaker, points scored for the season?

In our Espn league, the first tie breaker is total points scored, head to head is down the list with division records following. Of course it's all spelled out in our league rules and scoring system. If you don't have it in your rules, your league should figure out how they want to do it and set it up for next year.

In this case, I have always used h2h as the first tiebreaker assuming that 1 of the 3 teams has beaten the other 2 teams. If you did not beat the other 2 teams, then it would go to points. The reason I do this is our league is a h2h league and if you’re not going to use that as a tiebreaker, why even have a h2h league? Just make it a points league.

doesn't say anywhere on the page what happens in a three way

There are videos on the internet that can show you this, but more often than not two of the three people come away disappointed.

As for your standings, it depends on if your h2h rule is applied requiring a clean sweep (meaning one of the team must be undefeated in the h2h matchups) or not. If it does require a clean sweep, you would move on to the next tiebreaker, which is total points. If it does not require a clean sweep, then you, with a 3-1 h2h record would win the first tiebreaker and get the spot.

In this case, I have always used h2h as the first tiebreaker assuming that 1 of the 3 teams has beaten the other 2 teams. If you did not beat the other 2 teams, then it would go to points. The reason I do this is our league is a h2h league and if you’re not going to use that as a tiebreaker, why even have a h2h league? Just make it a points league.

Interesting thought process and probably why there are so many leagues out there with different rules.

We have always been a H2H league but removed H2H from our tie breakers years ago. In part because very often they were even (1-1) but also because we felt it has less to do with which team was really better over the course of the season. We use division record (if teams in same division) otherwise total points.

To the OP's question, hard to say sounds like some sort of auto league or one with very few rules spelled out anywhere. So ESPN is going do whatever it wants. I suspect that based on the H2H tie breaker team A would get the nod.

H2H leagues are random enough as it is. Deciding a standings tie breaker by H2H amongst tied teams makes it even more random, and thus, terrible.

IMO, season total points scored should be the tie breaker for H2H league standings ties. At least then you get credit for having the best team and not just the easiest schedule.

H2H leagues are random enough as it is. Deciding a standings tie breaker by H2H amongst tied teams makes it even more random, and thus, terrible.

IMO, season total points scored should be the tie breaker for H2H league standings ties. At least then you get credit for having the best team and not just the easiest schedule.

agreed. but then i woudl just suggest moving away from h2h. next season i will be moving to the format where everyone plays everyone each week with the potential of 9 wins in a 10 team league.

agreed. but then i woudl just suggest moving away from h2h. next season i will be moving to the format where everyone plays everyone each week with the potential of 9 wins in a 10 team league.

VP's ( victory points ) work great also

what's that?

2.8 Standings

The League standings will be determined on a weekly basis by “Victory Points” (VP) instead of wins

and losses.

A team that wins their weekly head to head game will be awarded 2 VPs; in event of a Tie, each team will be awarded 1 VP; and a loss no VP.

League points are also awarded for having high weekly scores accordingly:

1st in weekly fantasy points scored 2 VPs

2nd in weekly fantasy points scored 2 VPs

3rd in weekly fantasy points scored 2 VPs

4th in weekly fantasy points scored 2 VPS

5th in weekly fantasy points scored 1 VP

6th in weekly fantasy points scored 1 VP

7th in weekly fantasy points scored 1 VP

8th in weekly fantasy points scored 1 VP

9th in weekly fantasy points scored 0 VP

10th in weekly fantasy points scored 0 VP

11th in weekly fantasy points scored 0 VP

12th in weekly fantasy points scored 0 VP

Then to your question of how to break a tie

(Tie Breaker if VP's are equal-1-Total points...if still tied - 2-Overall winning percentage.....if still tied - 3-Division record....if still tied....head to head....if still tied we will use the next available power-ball drawing.....if still tied....shoot me!!!

That's how we look at it in our league.

That's how we look at it in our league.

again, just dont do h2h. if youre going to choose to have a h2h league, then i think it shoudl be factored into the ties. there are a lot fo other ways to run your league other than h2h. You can completely eliminte the randomness by just havign everyone play everyone every week.

again, just dont do h2h. if youre going to choose to have a h2h league, then i think it shoudl be factored into the ties. there are a lot fo other ways to run your league other than h2h. You can completely eliminte the randomness by just havign everyone play everyone every week.

While there is some truth to this, many people enjoy the competitiveness of having a weekly h2h opponent to focus on, but don;t neccessarily want to randomness of a single week to be the major determining factor in the final playoff seedings. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. The weekly h2h adds enough luck/randomness into the equation, no need to exacerbate that further by having a h2h record be a determining factor for a season long effort.

• Like 1

While there is some truth to this, many people enjoy the competitiveness of having a weekly h2h opponent to focus on, but don;t neccessarily want to randomness of a single week to be the major determining factor in the final playoff seedings. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. The weekly h2h adds enough luck/randomness into the equation, no need to exacerbate that further by having a h2h record be a determining factor for a season long effort.

That is why we only give 1/2 the weight for winning h2h and 1/2 or 1/4 to the teams that score the most points in a given week , see my post above , VP's is the best of both worlds

As for your standings, it depends on if your h2h rule is applied requiring a clean sweep (meaning one of the team must be undefeated in the h2h matchups) or not. If it does require a clean sweep, you would move on to the next tiebreaker, which is total points. If it does not require a clean sweep, then you, with a 3-1 h2h record would win the first tiebreaker and get the spot.

This is the answer to the original question. And if your rules are silent as to precisely how the H2H tiebreaker is to be applied, then I think a clean sweep should be required as I believe this is how the NFL applies that tiebreaker. We set up our tiebreakers to mirror those of the NFL, and in the case of any ambiguity, we default to however the NFL would process it.