[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears sign Cutler to 7 year extension

tazinib1

Nice to see you back btw: And welcome to the Rivers/Cutler bickarage. It sure was fun when Jay was in Denver... :sigh:

Had no skin in the fight before or now. Just living in SoCal has me ovah the SD fan base and their know it all but actually know nothing football mentality. Quite possibly the worst fans I've ever met, no offense.

Had no skin in the fight before or now. Just living in SoCal has me ovah the SD fan base and their know it all but actually know nothing football mentality. Quite possibly the worst fans I've ever met, no offense.

LOL..NONE taken...wow..uh ...welcome back?

None taken at all. Moving to Burbank has been a relief. Was kind of over the bandwagon mentality myself.

None taken at all. Moving to Burbank has been a relief. Was kind of over the bandwagon mentality myself.

You just moved so that the drive wouldn't kill you. A bonus is that you're hoping you'll be actually closer now when they move...BTW...BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You just moved so that the drive wouldn't kill you. A bonus is that you're hoping you'll be actually closer now when they move...BTW...BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

HAHA...yes the drive was ok when I first started but after 7yrs of the $hit, enough was enough.

Not sure I label Cutler as "mediocre" as someone else did in this thread.

They guy has had garbage around him since he was here, including the worst offensive line in football in 2012. Better (but not great) OL this year with more weapons, and he proved he can do good things. Can he do great things? I'm not sure, but I doubt he'll do mediocre things.

I'm more concerned about the injury factor here. He hasn't proved he can start for 16 games in the last two years. That alone should have brought this number down from where it's at.

All Bears fans should be happy they were decisive with the three they signed today. Just get it done, make a decision, and move on to equally important issues.

• Like 3

Cutler isn't worth it. He'll never win anything of significance. The Bears were on the cusp of a playoff berth with McCown, and Cutler came back just in time to lose back to back games. It's obviously not all on Cutler, but I agree with the Jake Plummer comment earlier in the thread. The Bears just went all-in on a more talented, less durable version of Jake Plummer. In all fairness, Plummer did reach the AFC Championship one year, and that's about the best I can see out of Cutler unless Trestman really does get him to the next level. But the Bears really needed that money to fix some of their issues on defense. McCown could have been a decent 1-2 year stopgap while Trestman went out and got "his" guy. I wonder if this decision is any different with a better QB class in the draft? Or perhaps they really do have faith that Cutler will both stay healthy and win games when they need him to.

How about Dolphins fans not even halfway filling the stadium for their home elimination game against a division rival last weekend. Kinda disgusted me when I was watching on the Sunday Ticket. A city that can't fill a stadium under those circumstances doesn't deserve a football team.

This begs the question.... "why"? :oops:

Because Kyle Orton, Rex Grossman, Chad Hutchinson, Jonathan Quinn, Kordell Stewart, Chris Chandler, Craig Krenzel, Jim Miller, Shane Matthews, Henry Burris, Cade McNown, Steve Stenstrom, Erik Kramer, Rick Mirer, Steve Walsh, Peter Tom Willis, Erik Kramer, Mike Tomczak, Jim Harbaugh, Steve Fuller, that's why.

I'm not a huge Cutler fan and probably would have preferred to let him walk, sign McCown for a few years and draft someone else. But because of their history at the QB position, I don't have a big problem with this deal. The guy's had 5 seasons in Chicago and set the record for career passing yards that's stood since Sid Luckman retired in 1950. (1950!!!) Stability and/or decent play at QB is something we've not experienced in my lifetime, so I'm willing to give it a chance.

• Like 1

Because Kyle Orton, Rex Grossman, Chad Hutchinson, Jonathan Quinn, Kordell Stewart, Chris Chandler, Craig Krenzel, Jim Miller, Shane Matthews, Henry Burris, Cade McNown, Steve Stenstrom, Erik Kramer, Rick Mirer, Steve Walsh, Peter Tom Willis, Erik Kramer, Mike Tomczak, Jim Harbaugh, Steve Fuller, that's why.

I'm not a huge Cutler fan and probably would have preferred to let him walk, sign McCown for a few years and draft someone else. But because of their history at the QB position, I don't have a big problem with this deal. The guy's had 5 seasons in Chicago and set the record for career passing yards that's stood since Sid Luckman retired in 1950. (1950!!!) Stability and/or decent play at QB is something we've not experienced in my lifetime, so I'm willing to give it a chance.

Jim McMahon ?

Jim McMahon ?

He's no Cutler ;)

McMahon 7 years with the Bears starting 61 games (played in 66)

874/1513 (57.8%), 11203 yards, 67TD, 56INT, (average year 1600 yards, 9.5TD, 8INT)

Cutler in 5 years with the Bears starting 67 games (played in same)

1258/2090 (60.2%), 14913 yards, 101TD, 75INT, (average year 2980 yards, 20TD, 15INT)

I see his basic point, they have had a lot of instability at QB, while Cutler may not be top 5 in the NFL, he is above average. Few teams win the SB all with a merry go round of QBs. Especially in this offensive era.

McMahon stats http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McMaJi00.htm

Cutler stats http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CutlJa00.htm

The comparisons to Plummer are a bit ridiculous. Plummer threw 161 TD's and 161 INT's in his career with a completion percentage of 57%. Cutler is certainly prone to throwing his share of pics but his 155 TD's to 112 INT's and a completion percentage of 61% puts him well ahead of Jake Plummer.

• Like 1

He's no Cutler ;)

McMahon 7 years with the Bears starting 61 games (played in 66)

874/1513 (57.8%), 11203 yards, 67TD, 56INT, (average year 1600 yards, 9.5TD, 8INT)

Cutler in 5 years with the Bears starting 67 games (played in same)

1258/2090 (60.2%), 14913 yards, 101TD, 75INT, (average year 2980 yards, 20TD, 15INT)

I see his basic point, they have had a lot of instability at QB, while Cutler may not be top 5 in the NFL, he is above average. Few teams win the SB all with a merry go round of QBs. Especially in this offensive era.

McMahon stats http://www.pro-footb.../M/McMaJi00.htm

Cutler stats http://www.pro-footb.../C/CutlJa00.htm

I was asking why he left Jim of his list ?