[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Free Agency 2014

BeeR

Nice upgrade by CLE, and with (realistically) a new stud rook QB in town and various upgrades elsewhere (some better than others, but hey at least they're trying), they're really trying to tease the Brown fans into hope. ;)

Who is this new stud rook QB that Cleveland will have? Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles, Carr??? Unfortunately I think Manziel is the one there at the Browns pick, and I also think he will be a flop in the NFL.

Other Browns FA notes

Now that Hawkins has signed his offer the Bengals have their 5 days to match. Despite reports (at least locally) that the Browns are making a strong push for Edelman there's no way they can sign him, because they'll be waiting to see what happens with Hawkins.

And what is up with Alex Mack, local reports make it sound like he is asking for poison pills in contracts with other teams so it is impossible for the Browns to match the offers. He has stated that he wants to play for a winning team, well duh who the F doesn't want to do that. But about half the league plays below .500, 2/3 don't make the playoffs on and only one is a true winner (champion).

There is no doubt the Browns are spending big, both because they can and because management knows they better start showing fans (and other players) they are serious about building a winning team (well one that at least wins more than the usual 4-5 games). Heck some speculated Edelman is being mentioned in part because he has local ties having played at Kent State (like people in NE Ohio other than students/alum pay much attention to Kent [or Akron] football.)

i don't see it. Gotta be a reason Dansby has bounced all over the league. Ward and Whitner are very similar?

Here is some info I read yesterday about how these guys compare, sounds like Dansby is a big upgrade.

article

In its overall rankings for 55 inside linebackers, ProFootballFocus.com listed Dansby fifth and Jackson 42nd last season. In coverage, Dansby ranked third and Jackson 26th. Against the run, Dansby was 14th and Jackson 49th.

from this

And yes (from the same article) Whitner and Ward are very similar

Whitner ranked sixth among 86 safeties in ProFootballFocus.com’s overall rankings last season, and Ward was third. In coverage, Whitner finished fifth and Ward 12th. Against the run, Ward was No. 1 and Whitner finished eighth.

So who do you guys see as the best Off & Def FA's still not signed ?

Off. Hakeem Nicks Or Finley ??

Def. Jared Allen ??

Edelman, Nicks, James Jones at WR, Steve Smith could interest

Ben Tate, Knowshown Moreno at RB with Blount, Andre Brown, and Bush as intriguiging

Melton and Jared Allen probably the best defensive guys left with Julius Peppers, Chris Clemons, and Anthony Spencer having potential Big year for DL.

Here is some info I read yesterday about how these guys compare, sounds like Dansby is a big upgrade.

article

In its overall rankings for 55 inside linebackers, ProFootballFocus.com listed Dansby fifth and Jackson 42nd last season. In coverage, Dansby ranked third and Jackson 26th. Against the run, Dansby was 14th and Jackson 49th.

from this

And yes (from the same article) Whitner and Ward are very similar

Whitner ranked sixth among 86 safeties in ProFootballFocus.com’s overall rankings last season, and Ward was third. In coverage, Whitner finished fifth and Ward 12th. Against the run, Ward was No. 1 and Whitner finished eighth.

yeah, but Dansby is also 32 years old . . .

I think "poison pill" clauses were outlawed in the new CBA.

Well I meant it in terms of something in the contract that will be hard for Cleveland to do. Word on the Hawkins offer is that the Browns offered a lot of money up front and over the first 2 years. The Bengals will have trouble matching that. Something similar could be done by Mack and his agent with whoever makes him an offer. It just sounds from local talk like he wants to get away from the Browns and doesn't care if they could or want offer him the same money another team does. Not sure if something happened with the front office, maybe he's bitter about the transition tag or something.

yeah, but Dansby is also 32 years old . . .

So, does that negate him being that much better than DQ? Is his career over after 1 year, or even before their contracts are up.

You said they were lateral moves, I tried to provide info that disputes that which you didn't refute. Instead you turn his being 2 years old into the real problem with the signing.

Well I meant it in terms of something in the contract that will be hard for Cleveland to do. Word on the Hawkins offer is that the Browns offered a lot of money up front and over the first 2 years. The Bengals will have trouble matching that. Something similar could be done by Mack and his agent with whoever makes him an offer. It just sounds from local talk like he wants to get away from the Browns and doesn't care if they could or want offer him the same money another team does. Not sure if something happened with the front office, maybe he's bitter about the transition tag or something.

So, does that negate him being that much better than DQ? Is his career over after 1 year, or even before their contracts are up.

You said they were lateral moves, I tried to provide info that disputes that which you didn't refute. Instead you turn his being 2 years old into the real problem with the signing.

I agree, he was better than DQ in 2013. No doubt. It was also a career year for Dansby. And he'll turn 33 in November. Better? Edited by CaptainHook

Here is what I was reading about Mack and how he will do what he can to leave the Browns

Transition tag drama

Pro Bowl center and transition-tag recipient Alex Mack flirted with the idea of leaving the Browns for the Indianapolis Colts in an interview with the Indy Star Thursday, but the Colts signed free-agent center Phil Costa later in the day.

“Anytime a player has a chance to talk with a team with a proven record like the Colts, [with] a quarterback and other weapons of the caliber Indy has, it certainly catches your attention,” Mack said.

Mack also made it clear he won’t rush to sign the transition tag the Browns applied last week. Because they used the tag, the Browns would have five days to match any offer sheet Mack signs. His agent, Marvin Demoff, has expressed confidence that he’d be able to craft a deal the Browns wouldn’t want to match, and four teams have reportedly contacted him about Mack.

“I’m willing to be patient with the process,” said Mack, who would receive a one-year contract worth $10.039 million and become the highest-paid center in the league if he played under the tag.

From this article

And this article has more on the status of signing Hawkins

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/browns-sign-restricted-free-agent-wr-andrew-hawkins-to-offer-sheet-bengals-have-5-days-to-match-1.472918

Edelman, Nicks, James Jones at WR, Steve Smith could interest

Ben Tate, Knowshown Moreno at RB with Blount, Andre Brown, and Bush as intriguiging

Melton and Jared Allen probably the best defensive guys left with Julius Peppers, Chris Clemons, and Anthony Spencer having potential Big year for DL.

Hopefully, Melton goes to the cowboys.

The Cowboys have now signed a third player in free agency, adding veteran linebacker Will Herring, Saints.

Help me me out here rajn? Never heard of him

Herring had announced the agreement with the Cowboys on Thursday on Twitter, stating that he’s “blessed to be playing in Big D this year and to be a part of the Cowboys’ organization,” but the deal fell apart by Friday before Herring had signed.

It was a mutual parting of the ways that had to do with the language of the contract. Herring was a fifth-round pick from Auburn in 2007 who spent four years in Seattle and the last three in New Orleans, mostly as a special teams ace. He played in all 16 games each of the last two seasons with 13 tackles each year.

Hopefully, Melton goes to the cowboys.

If Melton recovers fully from the injury he's a great 3-technique. Unfortunately, I have a feeling he is going down the same path as Tommy Harris. As we all know the 3-techniques most important characteristic is explosiveness. They have to be quick and powerful off the snap to penetrate and disrupt. Melton tore his ACL, and many guys have a lot of trouble regaining their form afterwards, especially the following year. The fact is it takes a lot of hard work to recover from that injury, and Melton's work ethic has come into question in the past. He showed up last year out of shape before getting hurt and was clearly being outplayed by his backup Nate Collins when both were healthy.

The Bears are more aware of where he is in his recovery process than anyone else since he had been rehabbing with them, yet they made no move to sign him. Instead they signed Nate Collins, who also tore his ACL last year. Does that mean it was simply a money decision or do they feel Collins is ahead of Melton on the recovery process?

One thing I know is Melton can only play the 3-technique when healthy, so if he can't fully recover he'll be out of football in a hurry. If he can recover and signs with the Cowboys he'll be rejoined with Marinelli and that can only be a good thing for him.

With the signings of Decker and Pettigrew the Jets are now certain to take a defensive player in the first round of the draft.............once again. You gotta love the Jets those stupid sons of bitches.

?? Is there another Pettigrew I'm not realizing? The TE signed with DET.

From what I hear, Hakeem Nicks will soon be a Colt.

...for far too much money, I suspect. Hopefully them spreading it around and him not being counted on as a top guy will work out; I just hope it's a 1 or 2 yr deal.

If Melton recovers fully from the injury he's a great 3-technique. Unfortunately, I have a feeling he is going down the same path as Tommy Harris. As we all know the 3-techniques most important characteristic is explosiveness. They have to be quick and powerful off the snap to penetrate and disrupt. Melton tore his ACL, and many guys have a lot of trouble regaining their form afterwards, especially the following year. The fact is it takes a lot of hard work to recover from that injury, and Melton's work ethic has come into question in the past. He showed up last year out of shape before getting hurt and was clearly being outplayed by his backup Nate Collins when both were healthy.

The Bears are more aware of where he is in his recovery process than anyone else since he had been rehabbing with them, yet they made no move to sign him. Instead they signed Nate Collins, who also tore his ACL last year. Does that mean it was simply a money decision or do they feel Collins is ahead of Melton on the recovery process?

One thing I know is Melton can only play the 3-technique when healthy, so if he can't fully recover he'll be out of football in a hurry. If he can recover and signs with the Cowboys he'll be rejoined with Marinelli and that can only be a good thing for him.

Sausagekingchi is right on here. Melton's work ethic is in question, and he had some off the field trouble.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/10603600/henry-melton-chicago-bears-being-sued-altercation-bartender