[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Youth Football

WashingtonD

My son begged us to sign up for youth tackle football (7/8 year olds) and we'll be starting in August. Any one out there have any ideas about how to help prepare him so he's comfortable and ready to go once they begin. It's a learning league - so I know he'll get good instruction from the coaches etc, but he wants to do "something" now so he can be ready.

Appreciate any insights or ideas.

D

What is his skill set/body type? Like is he positioned to be a blocker, great athlete/hands player (RB/WR), +leader = QB? Is he more aggressive and likes tackling?

So not D line but maybe LBer for now, safety if he sticks. He needs to run and build his stamina as him being able to stay on the field is the most important thing for now. If he's a solid athlete, one of the best on team, he'll play both ways and that's what you want. Teach proper tackling form and a short memory, and instill in him not to fear failure but to learn from it and that you're proud of him no matter what. As a coach, one of biggest problems I find is kids not trying their best and not having fun because they're afraid that their parents will be mad at them and disappointed if they "fail".

Appreciate the perspective Irish, thanks!

D

NP, anytime.

Sign him up for a hitting camp, maybe through a local college or high school. It prepares them for the contact, especially the neck muscles for wearing the helmet, and teaches proper hitting form and worth every penny

That is the biggest thing at his age, fundamentals.

• 3 weeks later...

So not D line but maybe LBer for now, safety if he sticks. He needs to run and build his stamina as him being able to stay on the field is the most important thing for now. If he's a solid athlete, one of the best on team, he'll play both ways and that's what you want. Teach proper tackling form and a short memory, and instill in him not to fear failure but to learn from it and that you're proud of him no matter what. As a coach, one of biggest problems I find is kids not trying their best and not having fun because they're afraid that their parents will be mad at them and disappointed if they "fail".

Great post Irish.

I would also add: make sure he knows that its okay to ask the coaches for help. If he is getting beat on every play by another kid, or if he's getting hit with cheap shots, he should ask the coaches about technique to counter.

• 2 months later...

My son (9) is playing his first year of tackle FB and I have to say I have never loved to go to games more! My buddies used to tell me that baseball, soccer and basketball we "nice" but wait til FB starts... It is GREAT! My son is far from a star... benchwarmer closer to the truth but when he goes out there and plays it is so exciting. FB is on a whole other level than other sports and there is nothing like it.