[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Same team QB/Kicker?

JPLossmans

Should you get a QB/K on the same Team?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should you get a QB/K on the same Team?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if it works out that way in the last round

How does everyone feel about having the starting QB/Kicker on a playoff caliber team? Is it better to split them up or keep them together? Fantasy gurus say consistency is king, so I feel like having them together would lead to a more average weekly total compared to splitting them up.

It is no different than having a QB/RB or RB/WR or QB/TE or RB/TE or WR/WR combo.

It is not something to target, nor is it something to avoid.

If the QB is your top rated QB at the point in the draft that you decide to take a QB, you take the QB.

If the K is your top rated K at the point in the draft that you decide to take a K, you take the K.

If they happen to be on the same team, so be it. If they are on different teams, so be it.

Unless your league has some very unique rules where you get more points for a TD pass if you also have the kicker that kicks the extra point on your fantasy team, there is no reason to target it.

• Like 1

I draft best available. If i get a qb/wr combo or a wr/rb combo of players on the same team, so be it. You're talking about fantasy kickers though. Last round, best available. Unless you got Gostkowski, you're probably gonna play kicker carousel at some point in the season..

Not a good or bad strategy, but generally kickers on teams that score fewer TDs produce more points by kicking more FGs. Yes you need a good offense to get into scoring position, but you also need to not score TDs all the time.

Agree I wouldn't try for it or avoid it.

I have done this in the past... I guess the thinking is, your QB gets down in/near the red zone and doesn't throw a TD, well at least you get 3-4 points from your kicker instead of the TD.

But when it's all said and done, pick the players that'll score the most points... and, it's a kicker. :woot:

As far as QB's are concerned: there is plethora of talent so waiting on Quarterback is a must option to me. Unless Peyton falls to the 3rd round and Rodgers/Brees go to the 4th I won't have them on my roster (which wont happen).

As far as kickers I disagree with people who say Kickers don't matter in fantasy. You are relying on 130+ points out of a kicker so yes a kicker does matter lol. I look at kickers who have consistently been in the top 5 like Stephen Gostkowski of the Patriots and Justin Tucker of the Baltimore Ravens. I play matchups with kickers. Who is going to move the ball well but only succeed 50% or less in the redzone, IE: Settle for field goals.

In the end if they happen to be on the same team ok, but it's not a strategy most fantasy owners are going to use on draft day.

Peculiar that you seem to "get" the concept of waiting on QB but then go on to basically endorse taking one of (if not the) first kickers :thinking:

As far as QB's are concerned: there is plethora of talent so waiting on Quarterback is a must option to me. Unless Peyton falls to the 3rd round and Rodgers/Brees go to the 4th I won't have them on my roster (which wont happen).

As far as kickers I disagree with people who say Kickers don't matter in fantasy. You are relying on 130+ points out of a kicker so yes a kicker does matter lol. I look at kickers who have consistently been in the top 5 like Stephen Gostkowski of the Patriots and Justin Tucker of the Baltimore Ravens. I play matchups with kickers. Who is going to move the ball well but only succeed 50% or less in the redzone, IE: Settle for field goals.

In the end if they happen to be on the same team ok, but it's not a strategy most fantasy owners are going to use on draft day.

Kickers barely matter. Over the last 4 years, other than maybe the very top kicker pushing the gap to 2PPG, the top 12 kickers are usually within 1 to maybe 1.5 PPG of each other.

That Knile Davis lottery ticket, for example, probably has a greater expectation value wise than does using an early pick hoping to pick that one kicker that adds an extra half point per game.

Kickers barely matter. Over the last 4 years, other than maybe the very top kicker pushing the gap to 2PPG, the top 12 kickers are usually within 1 to maybe 1.5 PPG of each other.

That Knile Davis lottery ticket, for example, probably has a greater expectation value wise than does using an early pick hoping to pick that one kicker that adds an extra half point per game.

This.

I trucking hate kickers in fantasy. They are the most random scoring position of all. That monster Justin Tucker game last year probably decided which teams made the playoffs in many cases and was a 100% luck driven event.

• Like 1

Draft the kickers who score the most points. Also do this with quarterbacks.

What about RB, WR, TE and defense, should we draft players who score the most points there as well? Or is there a more sound strategy, like guys named Johnson, or players with cool nicknames or who played at a certain college?

It doesn't matter how a kicker scored as compared to a player from another position, only how they scored compared to the rest of the kickers.

Edited by BA Baracus
  • Like 2

He's right when you compare points scored you compare classes. When you talk drafting you compare all classes. As in I knew I could take a kicker a round early because I knew knile davis would be there in the final round.

I don't think he was trying to counter my argument at all as in just stating the fact. Obviously your not going to compare Davis to a Kicker or someone like Rodgers to a Defense.

If you knew you could wait to get Davis in the final round why make it sound like you were going to take him the round before? Sounds like you were just trying to make yourself look smart for waiting and instead taking a much better kicker that round than waiting for one it the final round.

Knile Davis is not a lottery ticket he is a hand-cuff option to Jamaal Charles. Knile Davis is projected under 100 fantasy points where as kickers are over 130...

I don't think you truly understand how this game works.

It is irrelevant how many points a kicker scores compared to an RB... or a TE... or a QB (unless you have a flex spot that allows kickers). It matters how much the kicker will outscore the other kickers compared to how much the RB or WR will outscore their contemporaries.

And Knile Davis is a lottery ticket..... you don't have to have Jamaal Charles on your team in order to draft Davis or for him to have value for your team. If Charles goes down and Davis performs well as many believe he can do, you are cashing in a lottery ticket with him, one that may well be worth more than 1 PPG over his contemporaries like you would get if you were able to accurately predict and select that 1 kicker that will give you a 1 PPG advantage over the other kickers.

• Like 1

Please read my previous posts and you will understand what i was saying...

I've tried to understand your ramblings..... but you striaght out made it seem like because a kicker may be projected for 130 points and DAvis is projected for 100, the kicker has more value.... that simply is not true as that is not how value is created/calculated.

You rock on with your stud kicker theory.... I'll rock on with my 12th-14th round lottery ticket theory.

• Like 2

Knile Davis is not a lottery ticket he is a hand-cuff option to Jamaal Charles. Knile Davis is projected under 100 fantasy points where as kickers are over 130...

Stephen Gostkowski last year was scored 168 fantasy points (36 points ahead of Foles)

Matt Prater last year scored 162 fantasy points (30 points ahead of Foles)

Just Tucker last year scored 152 fantasy points (20 points ahead of Foles)

(the other 7 kickers in the Top 10 dropped down 1 point)... (19, 18, 17....ahead of Foles)

Nick Foles who was the 12th kicker over all scored 132 fantasy points.

If we talk about a kicker who scored 16+ fantasy points to put this in perspective that is like adding 100 yards and a TD to anyone of your WR. I'm not even talking about a top 5 kicker at this point. Am I saying draft a kicker in the 7th round? Obviously not but maybe 13th? Might not hurt depending on how the draft goes. It's something to gauge and watch for.

I assume you mean Folk not Foles?.

You have a lot of typos and mistaken names and such for a "Fantasy Football Writer"

You're not also the Upside Down Drafting Guru are you?

• Like 1