[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Montee Ball is not a bust and this is why.......

IrishPride

Hillman popped three runs against a tiring defense but here are all his carries - -1,12,3,16,1,1,3,5,1,13,0,9,-1,0,1.

Not sure I would consider that excellent but it was mostly better than Ball's five first half carries. Hillman has a long history of proving he is not a starting RB quality player

• Like 1

This. I think one thing that happened is most people shrugged off Moreno's performance last year as a product of the system. Yes he benefited from it, but I think Moreno is a true RB1 if healthy.

I agree. Once he comes back Miller will be a part timer. I have Miller and expect he's done in 3-4 weeks, but by then the Broncos schedule gets much better v. the run.

\

If it wasn't projected to be a committee with Ball, why would it be with Hillman, who actually ran excellent today?

What DMD said.

Hillman is NOT an every down back, but showed some "spark" to a dull Denver running game, albeit against a depleted and tired Arizona D. IMO, it's too soon to jump on any Denver's RB's.

Hillman popped three runs against a tiring defense but here are all his carries - -1,12,3,16,1,1,3,5,1,13,0,9,-1,0,1.

Not sure I would consider that excellent but it was mostly better than Ball's five first half carries. Hillman has a long history of proving he is not a starting RB quality player

That's true. But Ball has a YPC of 3.4 on the year. And, at least to me, Ball looks slow this year. I think this becomes a RBBC with Ball and Hillman. I'm not sure where C.J. Andersen would fit in.

I agree. Once he comes back Miller will be a part timer. I have Miller and expect he's done in 3-4 weeks, but by then the Broncos schedule gets much better v. the run.

I would probably agree with this, at least to the point I want to hold Moreno to see what will happen. Miller has never been anything special and at least Moreno is a more complete back.

I would probably agree with this, at least to the point I want to hold Moreno to see what will happen. Miller has never been anything special and at least Moreno is a more complete back.

....with a long history of injuries (except last year).

absolutely. Not saying I would expect him to make it to the end of the season. I am still waiting for DeMarco Murray to have his annual <whatever> injury.

What DMD said.

Hillman is NOT an every down back, but showed some "spark" to a dull Denver running game, albeit against a depleted and tired Arizona D. IMO, it's too soon to jump on any Denver's RB's.

Trouble is I HAVE to jump on them. I picked up Hillman today (actually before the game started) and now will likely dump Gerhart and pickup CJ Anderson. My running backs have been spotty, but I am 5-0 and leading my league (thanks to insane strengths elsewhere), but am NOT comfortable with scrubs at RB....

I think there's too many unknowns right now to pick either. Like I said above, Hillman is NOT an every down back, and CJ was inactive today (he is not injured, and nobody knows why (except John Fox)).

Also, we don't know the severity of Ball's injury, but I'll bet if it's not serious, he'll be back out there sooner rather than later.

Edited by Rileyrott
  • Like 1

Just have to say an injury doesn't make him a bust, but his lack of performance does? I guess I drafted the wrong Ball? But the waiver well Is dry............So in great huddle fashion feel free to tell me "I told you so!" You guys were right.... :bash:

It's been painful to be a Ball owner the first 5 weeks. Now per Rotoworld, "A source tells the Denver Post that the initial belief is that Montee Ball (groin) will be out "for a while.""

Now he's out long enough to be lapped by somebody else in the RB rotation. Brutal.

To elaborate:

Per Roto:

A source tells the Denver Post that the initial belief is that Montee Ball (groin) will be out "for a while."

Ball is headed for an MRI Monday on what looks like a pretty severe groin pull. He was struggling badly so far this season anyway, rushing 55 times for 172 yards (3.12 YPC) with one touchdown. On Sunday, the backfield was turned over to Ronnie Hillman (15 carries) with Juwan Thompson (three carries) in support. C.J. Anderson was a healthy scratch, but probably only because he doesn't play on special teams. Going forward, we'd expect a committee featuring Hillman as the likely starter and Anderson mixing in as well.

Source: Denver Post

Oct 5 - 9:01 PM

Care to explain why Hillman out carried him 15-3 today after Ball went out?

I figured someone would say Thompson..I'd just like to here why

I just think he's the best looking back of the three. Hillman is just too light to carry the load and CJ looks about like Ball with his total lack of explosiveness.

I am usually more a fan of measurables and production for predicting NFL success, but Thompson is the most exciting guy to watch with the ball in his hands.

It will take Ball being out for a while and several games of the other two guys sucking, but if Juwan gets a legit shot at the job I think he takes it.

He may be right. Hillman is really a third down back and Anderson is more of the Ball version 2. Juwan Thompson is sort of a new throw-in to the committee though. I kinda of expect them to use all three and see what happens until it is obvious what to do. Playing in NY against the Jets is not going to make it easy.