Sign in to follow this  
frenzal rhomb

HVAC HELP!

My air conditioning unit is turned off at the fuse box -( winter in PA ). However, I went out this morning and heard a loud buzzing coming from inside the unit. The fan is not spinning and the heat is actually on in house.

This isnt a heat pump,it is a standard air conditioner unit - I have two zones so one unit per and it appears to be the upstairs unit.

I have an HVAC guy coming out but they cant get here for two days. My big concern is why would it be buzzing when the power at the fuse box is off?

Anyone have a clue what I'm looking at here?

Thanks

contactor - getting low voltage from transformer. it on a separate breaker/fuse

this is just a guess without actually looking at the unit.

Edited by moneymakers

Actually bad thermostat - 24 volt sending message to the unit to run even though the heat was on. New thermostat solved the problm -

What moneymakers said had some truth. While the contactor wasn't bad, it was most certainly the source of the buzzing. The bad stat was sending the signal to turn on the unit which had the contactor pulled in. No current from the main breaker = no unit running.

Glad you got it nipped.

Wish I would have visited here sooner to be of actual help rather than retrospective chit chat.

That's cool, BA. I would have had the tech in anyway to be certain. Just wanted to at least have a potential idea what I was looking at when they arrived - thanks