[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Beer & Microbrew thread

keggerz

What is up with Ballast Point and their flavored IPAs?

Orange Vanilla Fathom?

Watermelon Dorado?

I do like their Grapefruit Sculpin and would like to try the Pineapple. Fan of the Habanero Sculpin too.

Funny you mention this, just had the Pineapple Sculpin last night.

I think I actually liked it more than the grapefruit sculpin. The pineapple is definitely a little sweeter, but still has that IPA flavor to go with it. I would definitely drink again (keg ran out at the place we were at last night).

Habanero Sculpin - not bad, but was almost too spicy, maybe because I had it with pizza - thinking it would pair better with something that would take some of the heat off rather than enhance it.

• Like 1

The Elijah Craig bourbon barrel aged Victory At Sea from Ballast Point was fantastic

I'll have to look for that.

I may have to use a vacation day on March 2nd. Local place is tapping a keg of Pliny the Younger that day at 4pm - once word gets out, which it will, I would expect to need to be there around noon or so to be sure of getting a pour. I know I can find 4 hours of brew to tide me over until the official tapping. However, wife would not approve of this plan I am sure as she would see it as a waste of a vacation day.

I have someone that lives out there and I'm pretty sure would be willing to ship some in a trade. He offered to do it for me but I haven't gotten around to doing it.

Friend of mine was going to bring some back but he said all their stuff is kept cold so he didn't want to risk bringing it back.

He was going to get a case but was driving.

Lucky me will be in SF in a couple weeks so I hope to finally get my hands on it :)

Edited by Zooty

I thought Younger was tap only?

I forget if it was younger or elder....

and it did make its way to select bars in Philly. There was a release note about where/when that was posted on FB

I know but I'm actually an hour from Philly so rarely get there for drinking. I do have a couple distributors that get good stuff but you have to be there when the order shows up. LOL

I keep checking the BeerFest lists to see if Russian River is there. Stoudts is about 20 mins from my house and has quarterly BFs but haven't seen RR yet. sigh...1st World problems

• Like 1

I'm stocking up for my few days in Indy coming up next month.

Picked up a bottle of Founders Mango Magnifico because I like peppers in my beer

https://www.youtube.com/user/DiscoverWisdom

And a collaboration blueberry stout from Evil Twin and Amager

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24300/148671/

Bought a six pack of Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shutdown Ale. I liked most of the Lagunitas I had and should have read closer about it being very bitter. Good taste but more bitter than I was prepared for, sure does have a kick though at 9.3%, drink one of those and feel it.

I was browsing Lagunitas now and see the Undercover is 66.5 IBU, their IPA is only 51.5. Hmm but their Pale Ale is 62.

Why am I thinking an IPA is generally more bitter than a Pale Ale, is that not true or no real correlation? Man I still have a lot to learn, problem is I'm drinking while I learn and forgetting lots of it ;)

The Elijah Craig bourbon barrel aged Victory At Sea from Ballast Point was fantastic

Had Stone Arrogant Bastard Bourbon Barrel Aged last night... not bad. I don't think I could drink a lot of it, but I would drink it again for sure.

I've picked up a sixer of Pineapple Sculpin for golf tournament I am helping with for my kids' school this Friday. Ive been told they also do a Mango Sculpin and a Watermelon Sculpin. Definitely want to try the Watermelon, so will be seeking that one out.

Had Stone Arrogant Bastard Bourbon Barrel Aged last night... not bad. I don't think I could drink a lot of it, but I would drink it again for sure.

I have some of those cellared and they are much better after a year. I haven't tried the 2 year old yet and my BIL gave me some that are 3.

I have some of those cellared and they are much better after a year. I haven't tried the 2 year old yet and my BIL gave me some that are 3.

Thanks for the tip. I was nice and left the rest of the 6 pack with my buddy who let us use his garage for putting together the gift bags for the golf tournament we are running for our kids' school, but next time I pick some up I will put some aside for aging.

• 2 weeks later...

Short's brewing from Michigan arrived in limited distro today! I haven't had any of their beers and folks are mixed but they are cultish

I went to a motorcycle event with my brother in Bellaire in 2014, we had dinner at the pub there and had some beers. Forget what we drank, my brother lives in MI and one of his favorites (I've had it as his house) is Huma Lupa Licious. Looking at their flavors I probably tried the Bellaire Brown as well.

Good stuff, but nothing so great that I'd travel for it, plenty of good lager, PA, IPA and other stuff I like from other makers.

The brewpub in Bellaire was very hipster crowd.

Huma and Bellaire are two that made it here in bottles. I wouldn't go traveling to get to Short's as there are fine breweries right here. But if they're bringing the beer to me, I at least have to try it out.

These showed up at Bottles 101 in Kent

Hey guys, Shorts Brewing Company and their Starcut Ciders have arrived in Ohio. Lets show them some love.
-Shorts Brewing Co Soft Parade 6pks
-Shorts Brewing Co Huma Lupa Licious 6pks
-Shorts Brewing Co ControversiALE 6pks
-Shorts Brewing Co Space Rock 6pks (gluten removed pale ale)
-Shorts Brewing Co Bellaire Brown 6pks
-Starcut Squishy 6pks (semi-sweet cherry cider)
-Starcut Octorock 6pks (semi sweet cider)
-Starcut Pulsar 6pks (semi-dry cider)

• 2 weeks later...

21st Amendment "Hell or High Watermelon" is one refreshing beer on a hot day. I usually don't dig on fruity type beers, but this one is just the right balance of sweet and sour and it still drinks like a beer.