[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Beer & Microbrew thread

keggerz

I have this strange attraction to unknown micro-brews in cans...so getting some noms at the Publix and I spot Mad Manatee, an IPA from Bold City Brewery in Jacksonville (never heard of them and I visit our Jax office often). It's a damn winner! A very light IPA, sweet even! The new house we're getting has a pool, this will be enjoyed throughout summer whilst floating on my "dad only" raft

So, apparently I "won" the opportunity to drive to Bloomington, IN to buy my 4 bottles of Sours from Upland Brewery. I have to get there before May 23rd or something. Pretty excited. I hope to stop at 3 Floyds as well.

http://uplandbeer.co...m/sour-lottery/

It's the Paw Paw, Peach and Persimmon flavors

Edited by loaf

So, apparently I "won" the opportunity to drive to Bloomington, IN to buy my 4 bottles of Sours from Upland Brewery. I have to get there before May 23rd or something. Pretty excited. I hope to stop at 3 Floyds as well.

http://uplandbeer.co...m/sour-lottery/

It's the Paw Paw, Peach and Persimmon flavors

Wow you must really like that stuff, the link says $25 + tax for a bottle, plus your travel costs to Bloomington.

I tried a couple of Ballast Point Brewings Big Eye (IPA) over the weekend, they were pretty good.

I've never had it but I want to. There's plenty of breweries I want to check out on the way as well. Three Floyds in Muncie, Warped Wing in Dayton, Sun King in Indy...probably make a weekend trip out of it.

Wow you must really like that stuff, the link says $25 + tax for a bottle, plus your travel costs to Bloomington.

I tried a couple of Ballast Point Brewings Big Eye (IPA) over the weekend, they were pretty good.

Big Eye is okay, but I much prefer Sculpin from Ballast Point and the Grapefruit Sculpin is also ridiculously good. Did not care for their Habanero Sculpin - way too much heat for me - I like spicy food, but I guess I don't like spicy beer.

Lots of drinking tonight after putting an offer in on new house...gonna be a late night of me drunkenly debating myself whether or not it's the right house and we made the correct choice

6 of Ranger IPA and a pick 6 of various reds and browns...nothing fancy, just stuff I can handle in quantity.

• Like 1

Lots of drinking tonight after putting an offer in on new house...gonna be a late night of me drunkenly debating myself whether or not it's the right house and we made the correct choice

6 of Ranger IPA and a pick 6 of various reds and browns...nothing fancy, just stuff I can handle in quantity.

Good luck.

Big Eye is okay, but I much prefer Sculpin from Ballast Point and the Grapefruit Sculpin is also ridiculously good. Did not care for their Habanero Sculpin - way too much heat for me - I like spicy food, but I guess I don't like spicy beer.

I had both the grapefruit and habanero and came away with the same results.

Even more beer this coming weekend as 2nd house offer put on was accepted!

The garage at new place so damn big the wifey even said "why don't you get that beer fridge thing you've been wanting?"; and so I shall! Local company takes old school fridges and repurposes them into kegerator capable of 3 ponies inside and taps for each on door. And the freezer still works so you can have frosty glasses at the ready!

• Like 2

I had both the grapefruit and habanero and came away with the same results.

Stoudt's brewed a spicy one last summer but it was only available on tap. It was pretty good. Not too hot but had a nice zing to it. I could see it easily overdone with spice though

• 2 weeks later...

Great Lakes Brewing Company Alberta Clipper - Chocolate Raspberry Porter. Not sure why they chose April to release a beer with a name (and flavors) that conjure up Winter. A Brewpub favorite though, glad they chose to finally bottle it. Oh, I know it's late May but it's pretty much gone from stores now and I just got around to putting my 4 pack in the fridge. Had one last night watching LeBron beat the Hawks. Having another now, which leads me to this post. And check out Brendan Benson's Cross Eyed -

Edited by loaf

Got to try Heady Topper from The Alchemist this past Friday. Very good beer that I definitely enjoyed. I can see why it is one of Beer Advocated top rated beers.

Hopefully I will be able to acquire some more, as only had one can that a friend actually acquired, so we shared it.

Got to try Heady Topper from The Alchemist this past Friday. Very good beer that I definitely enjoyed. I can see why it is one of Beer Advocated top rated beers.

Hopefully I will be able to acquire some more, as only had one can that a friend actually acquired, so we shared it.

Jealous! I've yet to get to try it but I was able to get my hands on some Heady Topper Jelly which was very good.

There's going to be a bottle share about a half hour from me on June 27th. I've got a volunteer gig that day for the World Beer Fest. At the bottle share is going to be about a case of Heady from a guy moving to Cleveland from VT. I'm a bit miffed I have to miss it.

Tonight, a local gastro pub is having their 2nd Anniversary. On tap, among others will be Founders KBS and CBS. Now, CBS is a whale I've been chasing for many moons. I can just imagine how many folks will be there for these 2 as well as some of the others (rarities from Evil Twin, Jackie Os, Revolution, Jolly Pumpkin Rojzilla & Roja du Kriek, Hill Farmstead La Vermontoise, Alpine - new to Cleveland)

Tried Dead Rise from Flying Dog. It is a summer ale with Old Bay used as a brewing spice. I could get wasted on those things on a hot summer day with some blue crabs!

I bought a sixer last summer and let my wife use some to make chilli with and it was very good.

Tonight, a local gastro pub is having their 2nd Anniversary. On tap, among others will be Founders KBS and CBS. Now, CBS is a whale I've been chasing for many moons. I can just imagine how many folks will be there for these 2 as well as some of the others (rarities from Evil Twin, Jackie Os, Revolution, Jolly Pumpkin Rojzilla & Roja du Kriek, Hill Farmstead La Vermontoise, Alpine - new to Cleveland)

So, I ended up going to this...had the Canadian Breakfast Stout for the first time. Delicious. Super sweet as compared to the KBS but that's to be expected, aged in maple barrels...I also had a Heavy Seas Blackbeards Breakfast bourbon barrel aged Porter, which was exceptional. Revolutions Bean Gene which was a bourbon barrel aged coffee porter (I see a pattern here...), Oskar Blues Different Stiles Blood Orange Double IPA...good times. And they had a free taco bar that they made for you. soft shelled.

Wow - got to split a bottle of Westvleteren 12 on Saturday evening. I'm not a huge Tripel or Quad fan, but this was a very good beer, I see why it is often considered one of the top 2 or 3 beers in the world.

Not sure if I'll get the chance to try it again, as this was my friends last bottle - he picked several up on a trip to Europe and found a place in Spain I believe that had a few bottles for sale.

• Like 1