[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's talk golf...

sksmith

Played my first Rd of the year yesterday. It was 39 degrees when we arrived around noon and never made it out of the 40s but it wasn't bad really until the last few holes

Drove the ball pretty poorly but hit some good iron shots. (Loving my nikes). Made a few longish putts which is abnormal for me. Had a few drinks in me and fell apart on the back. Put 2 in the water on a 154 yd par 3 wtf :lol:

41-48. Can't wait to play again!

Forgot this:

Rec'd a 12-pack Bridgestone B330S and loved them! After playing whatever cheapo ball Sports Authority had on sale (Tommy Armour's 3 for $20!), the switch to a well made ball is night and day. Anyway, finally took the plunge and bought used golf balls off the interwebs. AAAAA mint of same Bridgestone worked out to just shy of $1/ball for 50 of them. Absolutely no telling they aren't new. Doubt I'll ever buy new again

the switch to a well made ball is night and day.

truth

I don't pay for them but I play pro v's almost all the time. What a difference.

One of my local courses is tight and woodsy and its like an Easter egg hunt most days in the woods. My friend that I play golf with alot plays anything so I give him every ball I find and he gives me all the pro v's that he finds :)

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

Where are you playing in the 40's? too cold.

As long as it's not wet, cold isn't an issue for me. I have teed off in 28 before - it wasn't snowing too badly at all!

I'm a bit of a golf ball ho. I have found deals on discontinued or rebranded balls and stocked up on the closeout prices, so I have a ton stocked up. TaylorMade Lethal was probably the best deal, got those for $9.99 a dozen. Wilson FG Tour (2013 version) was probably my favorite ball. Got the blems for $14.99 per dozen, but I am down to my last two dozen balls. I got about 6 dozen FG Tour X left also - a little firmer than the FG Tour, and spins more, really good for the blazing hot dog days of summer. All told I have about 50 dozen balls right now. I fund our group though, so that's shared amongst 3-4 other guys, so it's not as absurd as it sounds.

On a different note, has anyone heard of Short Par 4? It's a pretty cool concept - you join, pay a monthly free ($45 without discounts) and they send you a random package of golf-type stuff every month. You can set a rough Profile of what you want to get - Conservative, Athletic, or Flashy.

http://shortpar4.com/collections/subscription-options

Basically, you're getting previous season closeout stuff for way discounted prices. It's good quality, and you get plenty of quantity - a polo shirt and shorts, or a pair of shoes and a hat, or a shirt and a cool weather pullover. I've had it described as "great bargain, for what you get, just no options". I've seen pictures on my golf forum, but you can just google image it for a bigger variety - some of them look very cool. Here's a Golfwrx link for some more opinions - that Ashworth shirt is about $80 at retail.

I signed up on a referral, so first month is only $25, and can opt out any time. The guys I play with referred me to it, and they are mostly very happy with what they get. I figured I will give it a try and the first time I don't like what I get I will cancel.

If anyone wants to give it a try, use my referral link. You get $20 off your first order and I get $20 off my next order.

http://shortpar4.refr.cc/PMQTDDG

They bill on the first of the month, and ship around the 10th, arriving around the 15th. No commitment, so you can cancel whenever you want. I'm doing my first month right now and may just cancel it right away, but for $25 I figure what the heck.

Edited by flemingd

^I'm on it! Been looking at them for a while now and shied away each time I got to checkout. Golf pants are damn expensive, if this nets a few pair on the cheap I'll be happy and unconcerned about the rest of the stuff

• 2 weeks later...

Joined a league that's just 9 holes after work on Thursdays, stableford scoring (points for birdie/par/bogey rather than strokes)...

First week was really good, got 9 points. This past week, well, it was nice to be outside I guess

• 3 weeks later...

Joined a league that's just 9 holes after work on Thursdays, stableford scoring (points for birdie/par/bogey rather than strokes)...

First week was really good, got 9 points. This past week, well, it was nice to be outside I guess

I'm the guy piggybacking on your league. Me and a buddy have been meeting every Wednesday at the muni course to walk 9. League goes off one 9, we go off the other and crossover, they alternate each week. They have an all you can golf rate for $15 so we usually end up getting 14-16 holes in so far. Sunday bag, 6 clubs, no driver. Hybrid off the tees. Makes you work clubs you never hit otherwise, and when you need a 7 but have 6 and 8 you gotta figure it out. Been good for the game, and just a lot of fun to walk 9 holes in 70 degree weather. Hit up Los Guachos afterword for $2 gringas and a brew. Pretty outstanding.