[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Opinions on the third round reversal in a snake draft

I run a 12 team PPR league and I wanted to come up with something new to add to the competitive balance. I am in another 12 team PPR league and the commish instituted the third round reversal snake draft. For those who don't know what this is...

You use a typical snake draft. First round is 1 to 12. Second round is 12 to 1. Now, in the third round instead of going 1 to 12, you go back to 12 and draft to 1. You then proceed with the snake draft as normal. So, it goes 1 -12, 12 - 1, 12 -1, 1 - 12, 12 - 1, 1 - 12, 12 - 1...

We love doing it this way and it seems to level the playing field. But, I don't know of anyone else doing the draft this way. So, I was wondering what your opinion is on drafting this way. If you have any info on whether the third round reversal is good, bad, or neutral, I would love to see it.

Thanks for your help!!

I have never personally played in that sort of draft in my 25 years of playing. But I have certainly heard of it and some leagues use it.

Under this system, the first pick goes 1.01, 2.12, 3.12, 4.01, 5.12...

The final pick goes 1.12, 2.01, 3.01, 4.12, 5.01.

Each year there is usually around 50 players of top value before a drop off from talent/risk/track record/etc

Usually there are also about 25 players who can be true difference makers for a fantasy team.

Using those measurements, standard snake says first drafter gets 3 of top 25 and 5 of top 50. The last drafter gets 2 of Top 25 and 4 of Top 50. So yeah, I have always contended that drafting first is an absolute advantage. I always want the lowest draft pick possible. I pretty much never get that since I draft 7th to 9th freakishly often.

Under that new method, the first drafter gets only 2 of the top 25 and 4 of the top 50.

The final drafter gets 3 of Top 25 and 5 of Top 50.

That seems far more fair considering the advantage that the first drafter gets normally that is not only considerable, but he also gets the best player in the draft. And this helps lower the shaft job that the final drafter usually has.

The only potential downside to this is that in most drafts there are generally one to three players that are highly coveted difference makers. But if you are drafting fourth or fifth, your advantage is far less IMO in a normal draft and worse with this style.

I have never played this style and no big money league has ever used it. I think it would be more fair overall. Would like to see what the actual results are versus what would have otherwise happened.

Interesting to be sure. I'd be willing to try it since I NEVER get the first pick in any draft. Not for years and years.

I will have to find it...but i saw something that mathematically proved that the 3rd round reversal is the most balanced (i.e. fair) draft format. It is used for some high stakes leagues.

Of course, an auction is THE most level playing field possible.

• Like 1

The NFFC uses 3RR and I did my 1st draft of the season last night and I was stuck at the 3 pick and it was brutal. This year more than any I believe you are at a huge disadvantage in a PPR league drafting from one of the first 4 spots. The WR and RB elite talent dried up right in front of me in the 2nd round and the 3rd round was even worse. Drafting 3,10,10 was not a pleasant experience. They listed everyone KDS preference after the picks were drawn and not a single team of the 12 put any of the top 5 picks in as their #1 preference. The teams picking at the 6-12 spots got a major advantage in this draft the way it fell. I pretty much hate my team.

The key to 3RR though is letting players put in for the pick they want. In the NFFC we order the options any way we like so I put in pick 12,6,7,8,9,10,11,5,4,3,2,1 as my order so if they draw my team first I get my first choice so it is possible as many as 6 or more teams could all get their first or 2nd choice if everyone has different preferences. As you see I got one of my 1st 3 choices so I didn't draw lucky.

Edited by Henry Muto

I have never played this style and no big money league has ever used it. I think it would be more fair overall. Would like to see what the actual results are versus what would have otherwise happened.

I guess you didn't know the NFFC uses it and that is pretty big money as that is the league I won the 100K from in 2012 unless you just mean no big money league you have played in.

Edited by Henry Muto

The NFFC uses 3RR and I did my 1st draft of the season last night and I was stuck at the 3 pick and it was brutal. This year more than any I believe you are at a huge disadvantage in a PPR league drafting from one of the first 4 spots. The WR and RB elite talent dried up right in front of me in the 2nd round and the 3rd round was even worse. Drafting 3,10,10 was not a pleasant experience. They listed everyone KDS preference after the picks were drawn and not a single team of the 12 put any of the top 5 picks in as their #1 preference. The teams picking at the 6-12 spots got a major advantage in this draft the way it fell. I pretty much hate my team.

Totally agree.

I've been doing just mock drafts with PPR scoring and picking out of the top spots (1-5) without 3RR. You get a great player with that first pick but when your second and third round picks roll around, the rb and wr talent definitely has dropped off big time. And I don't like to select qbs early.

I am in three leagues and we all create the draft order the same way. Everyone chooses a number out of a hat (1 - 12). Then the person with number one gets to choose his draft position. Then #2 gets to choose his draft position and so on. In the normal snake drafts I usually want positions 5 - 7. If for some reason a guy in front of me makes a mistake, I can have a top RB fall to me. Otherwise, I will get one of the best WR's or the best QB. In the 3RR draft, I always try to get position 10 - 12. So, I feel there are advantages to using both as long as you aren't stuck with a luck of the draw when choosing draft positions.

I had a hard time convincing my group to adopt the 3RR so, I will probably do a normal snake draft in my league. In the league where we do the 3RR, I have been in the finals 2 of the last 3 years. So, maybe I do like the 3RR better...LOL!!

We do a 3rr in our money hockey pool and I love it. The drop in level of talent from 1 to 12 is helped by the change in pick 36 to 25 in the 3rd. Over the years we have found that more teams are still in the hunt at the end of the regular season. I have yet to do it in football

The WR and RB elite talent dried up right in front of me in the 2nd round and the 3rd round was even worse. Drafting 3,10,10 was not a pleasant experience.... ....I pretty much hate my team.

I'd be interested to hear more about this. Did you think there were dead spots in the draft or was it a consistent disadvantage from round to round?