[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No-class Newton quick exits from press conference

BeeR

Cam was short, gave one word answers and essentially walked off the stage after the required 3 minutes or whatever he was technically supposed to do under NFL rules. But I think it's only fair to give a few reasons why he may be getting more of a bad rap then he deserves. I still think he could and should have handled it much better but I'll throw a few things out in his defense...

1. It cannot be easy to sit there after the lowest point in your career and get asked the same question 5 times in a row. He wasn't rude, he was simply short with the media and said Denver played better, made more plays, etc. He didn't make excuses and pointed to the whole Carolina team, including himself, making mistakes when he blamed turnovers, errant throws, etc.

2. Anyone who says "He should have handled it better or differently" likely hasn't been put in that situation before. None (or few) of us know what it feels like to work towards something for 5+ years and, specifically, for 12 months following last year's playoff loss and finally get the opportunity to achieve a lifelong goal only to have it end abruptly in just 3 short hours and THEN have to answer questions about it.

3. Finally, I'll say that the Santa Clara media environment for the post game interviews was atrocious. It was loud, congested, the audio seemed hard to hear but even worse, the players for BOTH TEAMS were being interviewed near each other in adjacent areas, sometimes only separated by a curtain. Cam was being interviewed right near Chris Harris from Denver. You can hear in the audio below how loud Harris' microphone was and how it completely overshadowed Cam's interview. Newton is basically sitting there and between questions from the media he's hearing Harris basically say, "the game plan was to make them throw the ball? Can Cam throw the ball? That was the plan." That's when Cam got up and said he's outta there.

Good article at ESPN on this....(and much better audio)

espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/19629/denvers-chris-harris-could-have-played-a-role-in-cam-newton-walking-out-on-media

Again, not making excuses. As the leader of the team who has often spoke for 20 minutes in front of the mic after a game Cam Newton has to take the medicine when he loses. Last night he took the medicine but grimaced and didn't take it easily.

That's an awful lot of non-excuses

Pratts an angry Panther fan. Vent man vent ahhhhh feels good doesn't it. Still Carolina got whooped like they stole something.

Nope, just the ultimate being-black-means-never-having-to-say-you're-sorry, white guilt retard.

You must be new or you'd know pratts is world renowned for redefining stupidity wherever he goes. An idiot savant of boggling proportions.

Now y'all stop dissin Newton. Haters!

lol

Finally, I'll say that the Santa Clara media environment for the post game interviews was atrocious. It was loud, congested, the audio seemed hard to hear but even worse, the players for BOTH TEAMS were being interviewed near each other in adjacent areas, sometimes only separated by a curtain. Cam was being interviewed right near Chris Harris from Denver. You can hear in the audio below how loud Harris' microphone was and how it completely overshadowed Cam's interview. Newton is basically sitting there and between questions from the media he's hearing Harris basically say, "the game plan was to make them throw the ball? Can Cam throw the ball? That was the plan." That's when Cam got up and said he's outta there.

This isn't getting enough press IMO. That was definitely some bush league bullmanure from the event organizers. It's the freaking Super Bowl and you don't have separate post-game press rooms? WTF?

Cam should have done a better job of taking it like a man, but I also don't blame him for not sitting there listening to Harris talk about how the game plan was to basically force him into making a manureload of errors. (Not saying Harris did anything wrong, he was just answering questions about their game plan, but Cam ought not have to sit there and listen to all of that)

Also, ESPN sucks at naming their articles...should be titled "Crappy press facilities at Super Bowl could have played a role in Cam Newton walking out on Media"

Also, ESPN sucks at naming their articles...should be titled "Crappy press facilities at Super Bowl could have played a role in Cam Newton walking out on Media"

Drama - Denver's Chris Harris might have played a role in Cam Newton walking out on media

Change the channel - Crappy press facilities at Super Bowl could have played a role in Cam Newton walking out on Media

Drama - Denver's Chris Harris might have played a role in Cam Newton walking out on media

Change the channel - Crappy press facilities at Super Bowl could have played a role in Cam Newton walking out on Media

Reality - Cam Newton's ability to dish it out but not take it sole reason for Cam Newton walking out on media

• Like 3

Reality - Cam Newton's ability to dish it out but not take it sole reason for Cam Newton walking out on media

This and only this... I don't give a f@ck what you heard or didn't hear sit there like a 27 year old man and answer some damn questions you baby. They pay you 100s of millions of dollars to do that... Poor thing

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe
  • Like 1

I don't have much issue with the fumble effort. That's a snap decision you see happen all the time. Punt returner has a chance to catch it on one bounce but hesitates for a flash and all of a sudden the ball is downed inside the 5. Receivers alligator-arm one, or duck their head, RB runs around the edge, gives the defender a fake juke and ducks out of bounds. His leg was at a weird angle and it would have been tough to get down to the ball in any fashion. It's just too fast a decision to really criticize him for. He did end up going after it when it popped back out, so I don't think he was quitting on the play rather it was just a snap decision that got magnified by the moment and conditions.

But yeah, the presser was bad.

• Like 1

I don't have much issue with the fumble effort. That's a snap decision you see happen all the time. Punt returner has a chance to catch it on one bounce but hesitates for a flash and all of a sudden the ball is downed inside the 5. Receivers alligator-arm one, or duck their head, RB runs around the edge, gives the defender a fake juke and ducks out of bounds. His leg was at a weird angle and it would have been tough to get down to the ball in any fashion. It's just too fast a decision to really criticize him for. He did end up going after it when it popped back out, so I don't think he was quitting on the play rather it was just a snap decision that got magnified by the moment and conditions.

But yeah, the presser was bad.

I have to disagree. It is so difficult to get to the championship game that when you get there you should be giving your all in an effort to win the game. The fact that he didn't automatically fall on the ball is beyond my comprehension. I would think a highly competitive guy would have tried to get that ball and any thought of potential injury would never have crossed his mind.

When players play to be safe they are giving up their edge.

Ya I mean truth of the matter is a lot of people don't like Cam for various reasons. Then Cam and the media had two weeks to really magnify the things about him people don't like while on the other side praising Peyton for being the exact opposite. Lets be honest, the media basically made this the good guy against the bad guy leading up to the game. And then to top it all off the Cam haters got exactly what they wanted to see from Cam on the field and off the field. Tons of ammo to unload on him with. Now that being said I think he could have really changed the opinions of a lot of people in that press conference. Instead he proved that what people think of him is right. Does he really care what people think? Who knows, he says he doesn't but that doesn't mean it's true. On a personal level I could really care less, I just think he had a great opportunity and he blew it.

Edited by Finn5033

Commenting on something you haven't seen and have zero context on is the only :shrug:

He showed his stripes. He's a poor winner and now he's a poor loser. If you're going to rub it in the opponent's face and dance in their endzone and make the comment "if you don't like it, stop it" you damn well better be able to take 5 minutes out of your life to put on your big boy pants and grown man face and face the music when it's time to do so. F him.

EXCUSE ME, didn't realize there is a law about offering opinions here. I generally don't watch this kind of stuff and really don't care about all the fake drama that the media creates and the fans eat up. Its football not some stupid soap opera.

Honestly it sounds like a bunch of angry women or teenagers, not men who follow football.

Now back to the pitchfork mob tryouts....

Stephen A Smith pretty much sums it up right here:

At the end of the day its not about how he looked with a hoodie over his head, its not about the short answers that he was given, its about the fact that he didnt fulfill his responsibilities by staying there and answering the questions and taking the heat. Thats what this comes down to. Cam Newton getting up and walking away the SAME Cam Newton that was celebrating all year long, dabbing, exacerbating situations, disrespecting his contemporaries in some of their eyes it rubs folks the wrong way how he was acting when he won. What did Cam Newton say to those people? If you dont like it, then do something about it and try to stop me. Well, the Denver Broncos did something about it and did stop him. And then after that they talked about him the same way he talks on the field. And then you get up and walk away sorry it doesnt wash. Too many people are going out of their way to come to his defense because we want to make sure the guy is not character assassinated. Well theres nothing wrong with Cam Newton the man, damn sure isnt anything wrong with Cam Newton the football player, but EVERYTHINGS wrong with the way he handled himself after he lost because instead of standing there and manning up to the fact that you got your butt whipped you just run away BECAUSE YOU COULDNT TAKE THE NOISE THAT YOU WERE HEARING BEHIND YOU WHEN THATS THE SAME KINDA NOISE YOU WERE GIVING TO CATS ALL YEAR LONG WHEN YOU GOT THE BETTER OF THEM! THATS BOY-ISH. THATS NOT MAN-ISH.

(A reporter asks if he thinks if this experience and all the media attention leading up to the game got to him). Got to him? Ill tell you what got to him VON MILLER got to him A LOT. DEMARCUS WARE got to him A LOT. WADE PHILLIPS got to him, THATS WHAT GOT TO HIM! I love the kid, but he lost just own up to it!

Edited by Shorttynaz

At the end of the day its not about how he looked with a hoodie over his head, its not about the short answers that he was given, its about the fact that he didnt fulfill his responsibilities by staying there and answering the questions and taking the heat. Thats what this comes down to. Cam Newton getting up and walking away the SAME Cam Newton that was celebrating all year long, dabbing, exacerbating situations, disrespecting his contemporaries in some of their eyes it rubs folks the wrong way how he was acting when he won. What did Cam Newton say to those people? If you dont like it, then do something about it and try to stop me. Well, the Denver Broncos did something about it and did stop him. And then after that they talked about him the same way he talks on the field. And then you get up and walk away sorry it doesnt wash. Too many people are going out of their way to come to his defense because we want to make sure the guy is not character assassinated. Well theres nothing wrong with Cam Newton the man, damn sure isnt anything wrong with Cam Newton the football player, but EVERYTHINGS wrong with the way he handled himself after he lost because instead of standing there and manning up to the fact that you got your butt whipped you just run away BECAUSE YOU COULDNT TAKE THE NOISE THAT YOU WERE HEARING BEHIND YOU WHEN THATS THE SAME KINDA NOISE YOU WERE GIVING TO CATS ALL YEAR LONG WHEN YOU GOT THE BETTER OF THEM! THATS BOY-ISH. THATS NOT MAN-ISH.

(A reporter asks if he thinks if this experience and all the media attention leading up to the game got to him). Got to him? Ill tell you what got to him VON MILLER got to him A LOT. DEMARCUS WARE got to him A LOT. WADE PHILLIPS got to him, THATS WHAT GOT TO HIM! I love the kid, but he lost just own up to it!

:slowgolfclap:

You lost me at Stephen A. Smith ... Smith is an idiot

• Like 2

I guess I just don't understand why this is such a big deal. The Broncos just won the SB, in what was one of the greatest defensive efforts in SB history, and the #1 topic at hand is the losing QB's press conference? Again, could he have handled it better? Of course. Have their been worse press conferences in sports history? More than I can count. He didn't throw his team under the bus, he didn't refuse to say anything (like others have done in the past), and he didn't say anything unprofessional. He said what he felt... It sucks to lose, we got outplayed, and that's about it. He certainly could have said more, but I don't have a problem with what he did say.

Now we're going to start judging pro athletes by their body language? What's next... His posture wasn't good enough? Give me a break. And, like I said before, he handled that press conference about how I (and I presume most people) expected he would, so why is it such a big surprise?

As for the "good loser" comment, I get it. Winners don't like to lose. I've been just as critical of Cam (for the cockiness, celebrating, etc.) as anyone, but I can appreciate someone not liking to lose. Yes, he could have done better in the presser. Maybe he should have elaborated more on how he doesn't enjoy the feeling of getting beat down... I don't know. But, did people actually think he would act like Peyton Manning up there? I didn't. Just like I wouldn't expect Tom Brady to run to mid-field after a loss, and congratulate the opponent with a smile on his face. That's not what he does. He's competitive, and he hates losing. Everybody handles it differently.

Cam's on-the-field antics... Those bother me WAY more than the press conference. But, neither was a surprise.

• Like 2

And, just so we're clear, I'm not saying that it shouldn't be discussed on a football message board. I'm just surprised that people are as outraged by it as they are. I've driven my car maybe 7-8 times since the SB, and at least 5 of those times, Cam Newton's presser was the topic of conversation (on sports radio). I guess there really is just nothing else worth talking about? Or, maybe it's a Seattle thing (since Carolina is quickly becoming one of their biggest rivals, and the Cam hate here seems to be higher than elsewhere)?

I don't know what it is, but to call the guy "classless" (among other things I've read/heard), over something so meaningless, is a bit ridiculous.

• Like 3