[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DirecTV / NFL Sunday Ticket offers

Shorttynaz

I know this is slightly off topic, but has anyone had similar success reducing your bill or getting any additional perks with Comcast? After all this talk in this thread I'm tired of getting fleeced and will be switching shortly. However, if I can swing a deal with Comcast, I would rather stay than the full on hastle of switching out gear. Any additional thoughts?

haggling works with every subscription media service

When I switched from Dish to AT&T U-Verse and called to cancel Dish (after AT&T was hooked up) they started trying to offer me deals to stay with them. I explained it was too late. I have from others that this works, I just hate having to do it, and the business model of "new customers get great deals while suckers that have been with us for years just get higher prices".

I know this is slightly off topic, but has anyone had similar success reducing your bill or getting any additional perks with Comcast? After all this talk in this thread I'm tired of getting fleeced and will be switching shortly. However, if I can swing a deal with Comcast, I would rather stay than the full on hastle of switching out gear. Any additional thoughts?

Let us know how it goes please

No thank you - all that requires a 2 year contract (not to be rude or contradictory ) ... I will get all the same stuff without any contract ... I purposely do not have a contract so that I can call every August and threaten to leave. They really screw you if you sign a 2 year contract. My intentions are to get all that (the Big Deal) without the 2 year contract, that is what I am used to getting.

Tell them you don't want any 2 year contract. They can do 1 year contract. Just time it so it's right before the football season and renew it every year.

Why does anyone still have a home phone/hard line? Real question. I haven't had one for about a decade. Wife, even longer.

I just hate using my cell for actual calls...lol..just use it for texting and internet access. When I'm home I use my landline for returning calls as it's easier to use and hold on to. It's just more comfortable for me. They say it's better for reaching 911 and whatnot as well.

:shrug: It's only 10 bucks anyways.

• Like 1

Been w them for like 12 yrs..always throw the local cable company has better deal and they willing to throw redzone channel in for free..either give me ticket or i go else where..never fails

how?

also some of us are paying a reduced rate for it but getting back 480 credit for the year so it actually paying to get it - I did good in that regard, someone said they got ticket max for 100.00 but 480.00 in credit. better than I did but I'm still happy

Been with DTV since 1996. Called Customer Retention and politely asked them if I could get the same deal I had last year. She checked my account and happily gave me the following:

Sunday Ticket MAX for Free.

$43.00 off my bill for 6 months.

I'll take it.

• Like 3

I called yesterday and requested the "cancellation" team. (I don't refer to them as 'retention' team so that they do not think I do this every year for the past decade).

When the nice woman came on, I asked her if I had been connected to the "cancellation" team and she said yes. Even though I am fully aware that I am out of contract (month-to-month) for quite some time, I asked her when my contract expires. She wanted to know why and I told her that over the last year my pricing has gone through the roof and that i had found a couple of less costly alternatives to move to together with a package offer I have handy from the local cable company here. I also told her that my daughter moved out and got DTV and all the little goodies they give to new subscribers and that this only exacerbated my frustration with having antiquated equipment and ridiculous pricing on the premier package (which I have had for over a decade). I let her know that I was leaving because of excessive cost. Didn't mention ST or football yet.

Long story short... I am getting a Genie with 3 mini's for free with free installation, $30 off per month for 2 years, $10 off per month for 6 months referring my daughter. $7 off per month for 6 months for each of HBO, SHO, Cinemax, and one other. $5 off per month for 6 months for the sports fees. $10 off HD for a year. Finally I asked about Sunday TIcket and that's when she started the bullcrap about how the NFL controls the pricing and they are very limited in what they can do. She offered me a something like a 10 or 20% discount to which I replied that this was unsatisfactory. Told me to try again closer to the season.

Wow. I thought for sure I could get it. I am calling back today to mention that they offered free ST to my daughter for her new service. Since I am a 16+ year customer, I am going to ask why I can't get that kind of offer (the ones they give to newbies) every now and then? Let's see how I make out on this one.

Also get $5 off per month for my account with Century Link and another $5 off per month for ebilling instead of paper. But those anyone can get without any hassle.

Edited by Dcat
  • Like 1

I called yesterday and requested the "cancellation" team. (I don't refer to them as 'retention' team so that they do not think I do this every year for the past decade).

When the nice woman came on, I asked her if I had been connected to the "cancellation" team and she said yes. Even though I am fully aware that I am out of contract (month-to-month) for quite some time, I asked her when my contract expires. She wanted to know why and I told her that over the last year my pricing has gone through the roof and that i had found a couple of less costly alternatives to move to together with a package offer I have handy from the local cable company here. I also told her that my daughter moved out and got DTV and all the little goodies they give to new subscribers and that this only exacerbated my frustration with having antiquated equipment and ridiculous pricing on the premier package (which I have had for over a decade). I let her know that I was leaving because of excessive cost. Didn't mention ST or football yet.

Long story short... I am getting a Genie with 3 mini's for free with free installation, $30 off per month for 2 years, $10 off per month for 6 months referring my daughter. $7 off per month for 6 months for each of HBO, SHO, Cinemax, and one other. $5 off per month for 6 months for the sports fees. $10 off HD for a year. Finally I asked about Sunday TIcket and that's when she started the bullcrap about how the NFL controls the pricing and they are very limited in what they can do. She offered me a something like a 10 or 20% discount to which I replied that this was unsatisfactory. Told me to try again closer to the season.

Wow. I thought for sure I could get it. I am calling back today to mention that they offered free ST to my daughter for her new service. Since I am a 16+ year customer, I am going to ask why I can't get that kind of offer (the ones they give to newbies) every now and then? Let's see how I make out on this one.

Also get $5 off per month for my account with Century Link and another $5 off per month for ebilling instead of paper. But those anyone can get without any hassle.

check the thread at fbgs. Call and set a date to cancel. It's worked for everyone in that thread

Ok, so I pretty much have gotten ST Max Free every year, or at worst have paid about $80 for it..

So I made my yearly call just now, said I want to cancel ST Max due to price and working on Sundays.. Best offer she made was $35.99 x 6 months for STM, I said thats still to expensive, if nothing better I will cancel, so she went ahead and canceled my ST Max.

After I hung up, thought I would come here, and see if everyone is still getting the deals as usual, quick read here, and quick read on FBG and knew I needed to call back.. I decided I didnt want to go the whole cancel service and set up a disconnect date just yet, so I decided to followed a post on page 2 here from Frenzal, and call and ask if I was under contract... Which I knew I wasnt, same exact thing, asked about contract, she said no, I said ok thanks so If i cancel or switch service there will no charge correct.. blah blah, she says yes but why would you look to cancel... I said I just canceled ST Max due to price, and its the only reason I was with DTV so I will check prices for Verizon and so on... She immediately said she has no leeway with ST at all, but she can see what she can do for me... She offered me $75 a month off my bill for 12 months... I took the offer, I then said well if im sticking with DTV Id like to have ST Max, and I will take it for the $35.99 price the other person offered me, she said yes no problem..

So instead of just giving me the ST Max for free, the brain trust at DTV decided to pay me $900 for the year, then charge me $215 for ST Max, paying me a diff of $685 for the year...

I also still have the usual discounts on my bill on top of the $75/month, which are the:

$10 off SPORTS PACK for 6 months (6 of 6)
$7 off CINEMAX for 6 months (6 of 6)
$7 off HBO for 6 months (6 of 6)
$7 off SHOWTIME for 6 months (6 of 6)
$7 off STARZ for 6 months (6 of 6)

I think this is my best deal yet, Ive negotiated them actually paying me before... Oh and I didnt call retention either time, regular number, when prompted first call, said "cancel ST", when prompted 2nd call said "possible cancelation"

• Like 1

Tell them you don't want any 2 year contract. They can do 1 year contract. Just time it so it's right before the football season and renew it every year.

Exactly, that is my point. No contract (or at least annual contract that expires every August).

OK, I called DTV back, yesterday, and settled with this (my main gripe is paying for 5 receivers, that should be part of the deal)...

$50/mo. credit which pays for Ticket Max and after 6 months it will reduce my bill to $83/mo. Basically, they are paying for the Ticket max first 6 mos then they pay for all 5 of my receivers the next 6 months. I am just tired of messing with them, so I guess they brow beat the brow beater. :doh:

Been with DTV since 1996. Called Customer Retention and politely asked them if I could get the same deal I had last year. She checked my account and happily gave me the following:

Sunday Ticket MAX for Free.

$43.00 off my bill for 6 months.

I'll take it.

I am going to try this approach to start with. Probably calling them this weekend. Been with DTV since 2003.

I am definitely worried about the fact that AT&T now owns them. In general, the larger the company, the less common sense their employees are allowed to use.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it sure pays to wait. I cancelled my Sunday Ticket Max auto renewal about a month or so ago after they refused to repeat the price they offered me last year. (6 payments of $25 along with a zillion other discounts on programming). This year they gave me the usual tons of discounts on premium stations and new Genie with 4 minis for free, but they refused to go lower than $45/month for 6 months for MAX. ($270). So I cancelled Sunday Ticket.

But they did tell me to check back as the season approached for new offers.

Well I called them again this morning and long story short, I got max for 4 payments of $24.99. Under $100 bucks for MAX.

The waiting game seems well worth it. I have been a subscriber to DTV for over 15 years.

Edited by Dcat

Well it sure pays to wait. I cancelled my Sunday Ticket Max auto renewal about a month or so ago after they refused to repeat the price they offered me last year. (6 payments of $25 along with a zillion other discounts on programming). This year they gave me the usual tons of discounts on premium stations and new Genie with 4 minis for free, but they refused to go lower than $45/month for 6 months for MAX. ($270). So I cancelled Sunday Ticket.

But they did tell me to check back as the season approached for new offers.

Well I called them again this morning and long story short, I got max for 4 payments of $24.99. Under $100 bucks for MAX.

The waiting game seems well worth it. I have been a subscriber to DTV for over 15 years.

I got the same, but they waived the first payment. So, $75 for the Max. They also knocked $17 off Showtime and Sportspack (combined... so I'm paying $7.99 for those two packages). I have another $35 in monthly discounts that will expire this month (the 12th month), so they told me to just call back at the end of September, and ask for more discounts. :wacko:

I've been with DTV since 2002.

yeah no. If you woulda said the last 2-3 posts maybe. But pages.. Not happenin

LOL, 11 years old and 400 pages :wacko:

well i took on the tough task of reading some posts and saved 45 a month for 12 months plus ticket max for free well worth my time

you could have read this thread, saved that much and gotten a $200 gift card in less time.

• Like 1