[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DirecTV / NFL Sunday Ticket offers

Shorttynaz

• 11 months later...

I moved my phone carrier to AT&T on the promise of an email I received granting two years of the sports package of my choice.  I called customer retention in April, as I had nowhere to go to ask about the offer (store said it was automatically applied, lol...NOT).  Since I had the email, I was told that I could call back the last week of August to enable the service for free (she put a note in my account to do this for 2017 and 2018.  We'll see how it goes).  Two kids starting college this week so I'm cutting down on every bill possible, not going to pay for the ticket this year.  If Directv, where I've been a customer for over 15 years, does not come through on this, I'll be looking elsewhere...probably for a 12 month promotion of some kind.

I'm really interested in the Redzone Channel or NFL Redzone, more than the ticket.  Over the past few years, I find myself watching RZ 90% of the time on Sundays (except during Cowboys games, which more often or not are national...but Jeez they're turning into such a circus, I'm not sure how fired up I am to set time aside to watch them this year...that's another conversation altogether.  Also, It's totally not worth 350 to catch two or three out of market boys games to me).

All that said...does anyone know how much NFL RZ is 'a la carte' or part of a package on Xfinity or Dish?  I've tried to look, but keep getting routed into the sign up areas.  I'm just curious about price at this point.  I did see an offer for xfinity I think to go over there and get it free for a year.  Anyone know what kind of a price break that would be?

2 minutes ago, CowboysDiehard said:

I moved my phone carrier to AT&T on the promise of an email I received granting two years of the sports package of my choice.  I called customer retention in April, as I had nowhere to go to ask about the offer (store said it was automatically applied, lol...NOT).  Since I had the email, I was told that I could call back the last week of August to enable the service for free (she put a note in my account to do this for 2017 and 2018.  We'll see how it goes).  Two kids starting college this week so I'm cutting down on every bill possible, not going to pay for the ticket this year.  If Directv, where I've been a customer for over 15 years, does not come through on this, I'll be looking elsewhere...probably for a 12 month promotion of some kind.

I'm really interested in the Redzone Channel or NFL Redzone, more than the ticket.  Over the past few years, I find myself watching RZ 90% of the time on Sundays (except during Cowboys games, which more often or not are national...but Jeez they're turning into such a circus, I'm not sure how fired up I am to set time aside to watch them this year...that's another conversation altogether.  Also, It's totally not worth 350 to catch two or three out of market boys games to me).

All that said...does anyone know how much NFL RZ is 'a la carte' or part of a package on Xfinity or Dish?  I've tried to look, but keep getting routed into the sign up areas.  I'm just curious about price at this point.  I did see an offer for xfinity I think to go over there and get it free for a year.  Anyone know what kind of a price break that would be?

Since you care more about Redzone than ST, yes you should definitely look to other providers. I recall NFLN RZ channel being offered for around $10/month (maybe it was less) when it started. I found one link for a promo page showing $13/month for their multi-sport package which includes RZ (so maybe it was more like $5-6/month)

https://www.dish.com/nfl-redzone/

21 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Since you care more about Redzone than ST, yes you should definitely look to other providers. I recall NFLN RZ channel being offered for around $10/month (maybe it was less) when it started. I found one link for a promo page showing $13/month for their multi-sport package which includes RZ (so maybe it was more like $5-6/month)

https://www.dish.com/nfl-redzone/

Gotcha, thanks.  If DTV doesn't follow through, I'll definitely look into this.

I recently called to set up a move through DTV.  I told them I wanted the Sunday Ticket, but not for $300-400 or whatever it costs now.  Last year, I paid four payments of $25, and they refunded the first payment (so I paid $75 total).  Not free, but much less than I would spend going to bars for 13-14 Vikings games.  And it was the first time that I had paid anything for the Ticket in over a decade, I believe.   I basically said I would be willing to do something similar this year.  They said they couldn't budget on the 4 payments of $25, but they could offer me a loyalty discount of $60 off of my bill each month for the next year, contingent on me committing to sticking with them for the 12 months.  That's a no-brainer.... I pay $100 for the ticket, but get $720 back in discounts.  In all of the 15+ years of haggling with DirecTV, this might have been the best deal yet.  

Bottom line.... They're willing to throw $$ at customers (particularly long-time customers), in the form of rebates, discounts, etc. in order to retain them.

7 hours ago, CowboysDiehard said:

$9.95 a month on Xfinity

There's a very good thread on DirecTV on fbg's

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

I didn't even have to try this year.  Got an email saying they were giving it me for free as a thank you for being a customer since 2003.  I called in a few days later to turn off the cable box in the kitchen and my daughters room - asked them if my account was activated for the NFL Sunday Ticket.  She said yes.  I asked her if I was being billed for it?  She said no.  Asked her if it included the RedZone channel?  She said no, but then upgraded me to the Max package at no charge.  I didn't even have to ask.  Same deal every time I call in.  Free HBO too as well as $25/month bill credit for the next 12 months. 

This year it was honestly effortless.  Years past I've had to call, hangup, call back, hangup, call back - usually took 2 or 3 times before I would get it for free.  This year it's almost like they were like F' it - we know we're gonna end up giving it to him anyway. 

Every time I read these discussions it becomes more clear that there is no rhyme or reason (or not easy to follow) on what they do. Some long time customers get deals forever, others have to pay closer to full price every 2-3 years. Then some buy gets it for free. And of course new subscribers get better deals than everybody who doesn't complain and ask for a deal.

Just come up with a fair price and charge everybody the same amount.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Every time I read these discussions it becomes more clear that there is no rhyme or reason (or not easy to follow) on what they do. Some long time customers get deals forever, others have to pay closer to full price every 2-3 years. Then some buy gets it for free. And of course new subscribers get better deals than everybody who doesn't complain and ask for a deal.

Why do you hate America? :usa:

ETA:  Kidding...of course! ;)

Edited by CowboysDiehard

On 8/17/2017 at 1:47 PM, stevegrab said:

last year got the whole thing (Sunday Tick. Max) for a grand total of $50 plus other significant discounts on my other programming.  This year I can't squeak a fart out of them and I have canceled Sunday Ticket.  I'll try again after week 1 (when it's free for everyone).

52 minutes ago, Dcat said:

last year got the whole thing (Sunday Tick. Max) for a grand total of $50 plus other significant discounts on my other programming.  This year I can't squeak a fart out of them and I have canceled Sunday Ticket.  I'll try again after week 1 (when it's free for everyone).

Cancel your service. They'll give you whatever you want

On 8/15/2016 at 9:17 AM, CaptainHook said:

I just called in. Asked for customer retention. I got 20% off the subscription price and Sunday Ticket Max for free. I didn't push very hard either.

I just canceled my ticket for the year, they offered me the same discount.  I turned it down, I won't be home on Sundays to watch it.

Just called as my bill showed the 1st of 6 monthly payments of $62.99 each = $377.94  Told the Loyalty Department (no longer call Retention Department I guess) that I am calling for them to offset my charges so ST/Max is free.  After some back and forth got $17 off a month for ST/Max so now costs $45.99 month ($275.94 total or ST/Max)....not great...then also got $50 off a month for the next 12 months ($600) + $22 off for next 6 months ($132) for my premium channels...more than offsets my cost = happy camper.

KO'd

2 hours ago, Finn5033 said:

Sling TV has redzone channel. This will be my first year without Sunday ticket in a long time. I don't mind paying for the ticket. It's the rest of the channels I don't like paying for. For $40 a month on sling I get ESPN, NFL network and redzone

Redzone channel is the only channel I ever watch.  It's BS they make you not only buy the Sunday ticket but then have to pay for the max package to get it.  I honesty haven't paid for any of it these past 8-9 years.  Just gotta be nice and try back if the first rep says no.  

Edited by Shorttynaz

Got NFL ST Max for only $100 and they gave me $35 off my bill a month for 12 months.....so, they are paying me to take it in the end....same old story, pushed them into believing that I was switching to dish and getting the red zone channel as a standalone. Took a hour on the phone, but I am happy with the outcome!

There are so many places to watch live sports events on the internet for free now it's I only pay for highest speed internet I can get now. I don't have any cable tV service at all. Do some research and you will be able to watch and cast to your TV just about everything now. Get Chromcast dongle and your set.  PPV, Soccer, Football, Fights, Premium channels etc. 

What phone number are you guys using to get through to DirecTV reps? I've had DTV for years, and always had great luck with their customer service reps. But since AT&T bought them out every time I call in I get AT&T reps, which are absolutely horrid. I'm actually considering dropping DTV after 10 years because of AT&T.