[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

8 team league draft strategy

anismith

Hey,

I play in 12 team leagues usually and feel like I have a pretty good handle on how to draft. My girlfriend is playing in an 8 team league this year (standard scoring) and I want to help her, but am not sure what is the best strategy. I usually go WR's early unless there is redic value at RB. Does this work in 8 man (person) league?

-Alex

Unless there are weird starting requirements it boils down to luck. Every team is stacked and the waiver wire is loaded. You just need 4 or 5 guys who are top 3 at their position. No strategy needed since runs don't really happen. I may consider locking up a top 3 QB if one is available in 4th round or so. I would also consider going Gronk and if not him Olsen, Kelce or Reed early as well. With the depth available at WR and TE you need to have the differentiation at QB and TE

• Like 2

Unless there are weird starting requirements it boils down to luck. Every team is stacked and the waiver wire is loaded. You just need 4 or 5 guys who are top 3 at their position. No strategy needed since runs don't really happen. I may consider locking up a top 3 QB if one is available in 4th round or so. I would also consider going Gronk and if not him Olsen, Kelce or Reed early as well. With the depth available at WR and TE you need to have the differentiation at QB and TE

Yeah, this was what I was thinking. Def getting a TE early and maybe a QB... though the people in her league are hyper newbs and so they will prob grab QB's in rounds 1 and 2.

Oh well, then I can just tell my GF to have fun.

Best advice and hopefully she wins the title 233.756423 to 233.756422.

Totally luck with 8.

They all boil down to luck.

You guys need to play in a competitive 8 man league. It's because rosters are so loaded and the wire is stacked that it's tougher to win and more fun to play. In my 12/16 man leagues my weekly lineup pretty much sets itself. Waivers are boring. You don't bench guys like Sammy Watkins, you never have a viable alternative to him. In an 8 man league though, every lineup decision is a toss-up.

To the OP's question - the primary strategy I employ is go all out to get difference makers at their position. If it's a TE required league Gronkowski is a legit top 5 pick. Gamble on upside because if you miss it's easy to replace. Our league restricts waiver moves heavily to put more focus on roster management rather than streaming waivers and has small rosters to force tougher decisions but if you are unlimited, go ahead and take Leveon Bell in the 1st because if he busts you'll have options like Woodhead, Gio, or JStew to fall back on (all undrafted last year in my homer). Devonte Freeman lasted a couple of weeks on the wire because no one believed he'd keep it up and the waiver adds are so precious.

It's a lot more fun when your weekly lineup decision is whether to start Lamar Miller, Demaryius Thomas, or TY Hilton in your flex. Those are real decisions. Those guys are pretty much no-brainer starters in large leagues. Choosing between Watkins or Allen Hurns playoff week can make or break your season. Waiver decisions between Matt Ryan, Blake Bortles, and Kirk Cousins will drive you batty, especially when you only get a limited number of adds.

You guys need to play in a competitive 8 man league. It's because rosters are so loaded and the wire is stacked that it's tougher to win and more fun to play. In my 12/16 man leagues my weekly lineup pretty much sets itself. Waivers are boring. You don't bench guys like Sammy Watkins, you never have a viable alternative to him. In an 8 man league though, every lineup decision is a toss-up.

To the OP's question - the primary strategy I employ is go all out to get difference makers at their position. If it's a TE required league Gronkowski is a legit top 5 pick. Gamble on upside because if you miss it's easy to replace. Our league restricts waiver moves heavily to put more focus on roster management rather than streaming waivers and has small rosters to force tougher decisions but if you are unlimited, go ahead and take Leveon Bell in the 1st because if he busts you'll have options like Woodhead, Gio, or JStew to fall back on (all undrafted last year in my homer). Devonte Freeman lasted a couple of weeks on the wire because no one believed he'd keep it up and the waiver adds are so precious.

It's a lot more fun when your weekly lineup decision is whether to start Lamar Miller, Demaryius Thomas, or TY Hilton in your flex. Those are real decisions. Those guys are pretty much no-brainer starters in large leagues. Choosing between Watkins or Allen Hurns playoff week can make or break your season. Waiver decisions between Matt Ryan, Blake Bortles, and Kirk Cousins will drive you batty, especially when you only get a limited number of adds.

Right, so even more luck, because anyone on your bench can outscore any of your starters any given week. Fun and maddening for sure but a total toss up.

Right, so even more luck, because anyone on your bench can outscore any of your starters any given week. Fun and maddening for sure but a total toss up.

That's why decision making is more important. Have you ever played in a competitive 8 mean league?

I played in an 8 team league for years. It was luck of the draft.

16 team leagues are luck too but that is praying you don't have an injury.

• Like 1

That's why decision making is more important. Have you ever played in a competitive 8 mean league?

Been playing since 1989. If it's redraft, I've tried most of it. 8 up to 32.

Edited by irish

I guess we disagree. Yes, benches and waivers are more stacked. But I see that as a chance to understand who the WR is matched up with, how the opposing team's defense and pass rush are doing, can they stop a mobile guy like Mariotta? Do you play a red-hot Palmer against Seattle's D or do you grab Bortles off the wire against Indy? Benching Baldwin because of Pat Peterson feels more like strategy to me than putting Decker in every week and hoping he doesn't sprain a knee.

Been in the same 8 man league since 96' I'm ashamed to say. :bag:

Same here, but since 91'. Funny thing is, we decided to up it and make it a 10 man league inviting guys we have known for 30 years. Almost made it a 12 man league, but I convinced them that was too drastic a change. 10 man should make it an intesting challenge after all these years.

Edited by heehawks

Same here, but since 91'. Funny thing is, we decided to up it and make it a 10 man league inviting guys we have known for 30 years. Almost made it a 12 man league, but I convinced them that was too drastic a change. 10 man should make it an intesting challenge after all these years.

We stupidly opened another 8 team league back in 02' that we play against during the season and in week 17 for bragging rights (and a small amount of $). Now we can't scrounge up enough trustworthy people to expand both at the same time to 10 teamers. :doh:

Hey,

I play in 12 team leagues usually and feel like I have a pretty good handle on how to draft. My girlfriend is playing in an 8 team league this year (standard scoring) and I want to help her, but am not sure what is the best strategy. I usually go WR's early unless there is redic value at RB. Does this work in 8 man (person) league?

-Alex

I remember you playing in an 8 team league. I'm sure you have sound strategies after last year. I feel it's like the top sprinters racing in a 100 meter dash; the outcome will be decided by a millisecond (or a yard in FF).

Let them draft those QBs lol. In an 8 team I'd think hard about getting Gronk in the 1st

Gronk might be the number 3 pick in an 8 team league. Relatively little if any opportunity cost to acquire the far and away top te in the game. You'll still wind up with solid wrs like allen Robinson and keenan allen and then on the next turn rbs like cj anderson and demarcation Murray are still there, on average.

I've never been interested in playing in an 8 team league, but that is how I would look for the early advantage.