[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Don't take a QB early they said...

gilthorp

I'm a believer in taking a QB late and it has worked very well. I'm not talking 12th round but usually around the 6th. Usually get a decent starter and try to back him up with an upside guy just in case. I would rather have the consistency with my RBs and WRs.

6th round isn't exactly late.

• Like 1

I'm a believer of taking a QB when the draft tells me to.

well you are smarter than I am. I like taking them early and getting a no brain starter and not having to mix and match if I don't have to. It is just less stressful for me personally, which was my point.

ETA: I drafted 3 of them yesterday and waited, and made the wrong decision today. That's all.

Edited by gilthorp

To be honest, I've heard this philosophy for years and years. All the smart guys behind keyboards saying don't go QB early. I never listened. I went QB whenever I felt like going QB, and I have been doing this for over 15 years in my local.

All I can say is that when I go QB early, I have less stress each week and it sets the foundation for your starting lineup. When you don't go QB early, you wait, and then you're eventually forced to play matchups.

So, I call BS on don't draft a QB early. Looks like it's going to be a stressful year.

Personally, I like to have my starting lineup (minus K and D) more or less set as early in the draft as possible. It's all based on what I see as perceived value, so mileage may vary, but generally when I see a good starting-caliber TE coming up, I'm more likely to grab him as opposed to a good RB3 candidate, unless I really love the RB.

well you are smarter than I am. I like taking them early and getting a no brain starter and not having to mix and match if I don't have to. It is just less stressful for me personally, which was my point.

ETA: I drafted 3 of them yesterday and waited, and made the wrong decision today. That's all.

#RecencyBias

newton= 10th best qb performance

rodgers= 7th

luck= 1st

brees= 2nd

wilson= 18th

bortles= 16th

winston= 3rd

smith= 4th

stafford= 5th

ryan= 6th

brees and luck were certainly difference makers today. you got mostly what you expected from rodgers. newton, wilson, and bortles disappointed owners today. it appears that it depends upon who ones waits for to evaluate expectations

• Like 2

You're concluding that after one game?

I'm disputing that a conclusion can be made from one game

where did i infer that 1 week is representative of an entire season? owners can certainly evaluate their picks vs expectations weekly, however.....

we also need to know who was taken in the qb's place (if waited for) and who they might have had (instead of the qb- if taken in "earlier" rounds)

Yeah, as many have said, it's good to wait sometimes for the Stafford, Rivers, or Winstons. Those are my three QB's in several leagues. I have Brees in 2 leagues and luck in one becuase they fell to a late enough round (Round 6 or 7 in 12-team leagues) and I thought their value exceeded the WR's or RB's available. I think it's silly to have an absolute rule, but it's def better to have a bias against the shiny QB1's I think.

I found this year there was a sweet spot in the 6th round where an elite quarterback was still available but the running backs and wide receivers available were tier 3.

I was in drafts where only 2-3 QBs were off the board by the end of the 6th. It's not about the round, it's about the value at the position. WIth that said, all drafts are different, and I get that.

Edited by keggerz

How about the stats for my local Keg? How are those looking for the 25 years of the league. TIA.

Dude,it's a freakin local,who here doesn't win those?

• Like 1

When you listed the quarterbacks by how they did today and then said "it appears that it depends upon who ones waits for to evaluate expectations".

do you have expectations for the top 25-30 qb's or so? do you break them down into tiers? do you believe that there are more elite qb's than others? what is your process for drafting a qb. Do you believe that qbs have trends (standard deviation)? does history factor into your assessments?

I have a decent amount of factors that go into selecting a qb (where they are in what round vs their adp is one). I have jumped on "studs." i have waited on mid-tier with upside. everything depends on the players you select (all positions). week 1 is just one data point but we can weight it against trends of the past.

Every year is different for me. If we're using the last 15 years as a time frame, I'd say I've waited on QB more often than not. This season I pretty much went QB in 4-6 in every draft because I was able to get Cam, Rodgers, Luck, Wilson in those rounds. I basically go BPA and value, so if when there's obvious tier 1 talent in rounds 4+, I'm all over it. Same reason why I have Doug Martin and Carlos Hyde on what seems like all 20 of my teams this season. When you can get those guys in rounds 4 and 5, you don't ask, you just draft them.

I never subscribe to any one thing in FF. It's always about value and BPA.

• Like 1